Walk to beaches from the dock?

marshhawk

That's not exactly what I meant. :p I have seen pictures where some of the excursion boats come right up on a beach near the docks. that's what I am asking about. Can you use those small beaches?:confused:

First of all the ship does not dock in GC. You will be taking a 5-10 minute tender into port. Not seeing the pics I can only guess that the beach area is in the commercial harbor area.

No that's right, you tender in, but guess what? That little bitty boat docks, doesn't it? so please get over yourself. Thank you.

To see the pictures I am discussing there is a great review from Dave regarding the Legend, and he shows a picture of their cruise excursion boat-crashing up on a small beach. I was wondering if the small beaches can be used for public use.

That's not exactly what I meant. :p I have seen pictures where some of the excursion boats come right up on a beach near the docks. that's what I am asking about. Can you use those small beaches?:confused:

Do you have a link to the pictures you reference? I am wondering if the beach is over by Spotts, the tender location used when the seas are too rough for the main terminal area in George Town.

20081215_1_TOPcruiseshipatspottsSTORY.jpg

Spotts Tender area

Do you have a link to the pictures you reference? I am wondering if the beach is over by Spotts, the tender location used when the seas are too rough for the main terminal area in George Town.

20081215_1_TOPcruiseshipatspottsSTORY.jpg

Spotts Tender area

I don't have the link, but I've seen the photos. It is not Spotts, it's in the commercial harbor area (I believe north of the Royal Watler terminal) and it looks like someone has dumped 15 yards or so of sand between smaller piers/iron shore.

I hope this works, I copied the picture....here goes

2282360350106525348S600x600Q85.jpg

The OP stated that they walked to this beach, I think it is to the left of the docks.

That is definitely in town. Don't recall seeing it the other week, but wasn't looking for it either. No problem walking there from the tender area.

I'm a little confused on what the OP wants to do in GC. Sit on that sandy landing in the commercial area? Why not take the 5.00 bus to Royal Palms on one of the nicest areas of 7 Mile Beach. Or just walk the 20 minutes to the beginning of 7 Mile like runner 1st suggested.

What I want is a suggestion for a decent beach within walking distance of where the tender leaves you off, so that I don't have to pay a lot of money for an excursion or wait for an excursion bus. I want to put on my snorkel gear and just get in the water for a few hours. Carnival right now is offering Tiki Beach, and when I do research I am getting BAD reviews about Tiki beach. Two years ago when we went Carnival had two options for 7 mile beach, and now only one, and no one is impressed. So I was wondering if there were public beaches within walking distance of the dock. If not, then I do appreciate knowing if there are hotels on the beach that offer day passes. I may just take a tour, or do the stingray and rum point tour, but I was hoping:o to just find a small beach without all the fees. Thanks

If you are looking for snorkelling as your first priority, walk about 5-10 minutes or so to the right as you get off the tenders, and you'll find Eden Rock. There's no beach, but there's excellent snorkelling and you can either bring your own gear or rent it there. There's no charge to enter the water, and at the Paradise Restaurant entry to Eden Rock there's a nice restaurant where those who aren't snorkelling can relax with a drink and a snack while they wait for you.

If a beach day is your first priority, hop into one of the many taxis that will be waiting at the port area and get a lift to either the Sea Grape or Royal Palms areas of Seven Mile Beach (I prefer Royal Palms because few ship excursions go there). Those are both excellent sections of SMB with good free facilities (showers, restrooms) and rental watersports, chairs, and umbrellas as well as a beach bar/restaurant. A taxi there is about $4-6 US per person each way. There's no entry fee, so if you want to just throw a towel down on the sand you can easily do that instead of paying to rent a chair. The snorkelling isn't great, but the beach is awesome.

bookbabe-thanks-the hotels don't charge you to use their sand like they do in the Bahamas? I am assuming these areas are safe? When we were in Cayman two years ago all we did was the submarine, but the waters looked so beautiful, i really just want to have some hours on the beach, a beach, because we have done the museum, the sub, and the shops, and since this will be our last stop before coming back to the US, I just wanted some beach time. Thank you for the information. Do you know how deep the water is when you walk in from Eden rock? Being legally blind and not having my glasses on, I don't want to step off in 20 + feet of water:o

"the hotels don't charge you to use their sand like they do in the Bahamas?"

Beaches in Cayman are public (the Crown's land) up to the high water mark. Some hotels strictly enforce this and shoo non-guests down to near the water line or off "their" property.

Some hotels will occasionally also offer day passes to visitors which includes use of their facilities - Marriott, Westin, etc...

As Turtletagger says, the hotels will either charge you to use their facilities or shoo you away completely from everything but the very edge of the sand down near the water.

Royal Palms and Sea Grape aren't hotels, which is why there's no charge. :D They are beach bars who are providing excellent facilities in order to lure you into buying their food & drinks. Their main (and pretty much only) rule is no outside food or beverages... ;) The Royal Palms website is here - http://www.reefgrill.net/ - and has all sorts of information and webcams so you can get a better idea of what it's like.

Eden Rock is deep. Really deep. It's a ladder into the deep water of the port area, and the current can be pretty strong at times. With limited vision, it might not be the best choice.

bookbabe-thanks-the hotels don't charge you to use their sand like they do in the Bahamas? I am assuming these areas are safe? When we were in Cayman two years ago all we did was the submarine, but the waters looked so beautiful, i really just want to have some hours on the beach, a beach, because we have done the museum, the sub, and the shops, and since this will be our last stop before coming back to the US, I just wanted some beach time. Thank you for the information. Do you know how deep the water is when you walk in from Eden rock? Being legally blind and not having my glasses on, I don't want to step off in 20 + feet of water:o

Eden Rock has OK snorkeling, but it is not a sandy beach. It's iron shore with steps cut in and a ladder. On the other hand, the snorkeling is mostly barren along most of the pretty, sandy areas of 7 mile beach, except for the northern edge at Cemetery Beach.

A 2 block walk will get you to the mini-bus terminal, and a $3 or so fare will get you to either the popular sandy part of 7MB or to Cemetery Beach which has sand and good snorkeling.

Looking at your future cruises, is it true that you will not be in GC until Sept. 2012? Then most of this info could be for naught.:D

I'm very anal about being informed when traveling. Why do you think it may be for naught? Hurricane, monsoon, death, destruction, this cruise is before the end of the Mayan calender, unless I'm dead, I should be there.:rolleyes:

snorkel2much and bookbabe, i think you are right, we saw snorkers at Eden Rock from the sub, and they all looked like they were struggling with the surf. I just want to walk in, and be.

Archived