QM2 Eastbound 22nd August cruise virgins.

southamptoncruisers

We are cruise virgins and on Sunday booked a last minute deal for two adults and two children. We are travelling on the eastbound crossing on the 22nd August flying from London and joining the QM 2 in New york. Any advice would be most appreciated to make our holiday a truly memorable one. My wife and I are in our early forties and our children are 7 and 9. As our name suggests we are from Southampton

We are cruise virgins and on Sunday booked a last minute deal for two adults and two children. We are travelling on the eastbound crossing on the 22nd August flying from London and joining the QM 2 in New york. Any advice would be most appreciated to make our holiday a truly memorable one. My wife and I are in our early forties and our children are 7 and 9. As our name suggests we are from Southampton

Welcome to Cruise Critic Southamptoncruisers and welcome to cruising. You couldn't have picked a better ship to begin your cruising adventures.

-Make sure you are on the top of the ship deck 13 for the sailaway from New York. It is always tremendously exciting as the ship passes beneath the Verrazano Bridge.

-Don't miss afternoon tea in the Queens Room. It is served there daily at 3:30pm. Arrive early to get a seat. It is an elegant affair with a string quartet and white glove service.

-Make sure you enjoy at least one lunch at the Golden Lion Pub. It is very popular and the fish and chips and chicken Korma is quite delicious.

-There are often interesting speakers Illuminations. Your Daily Programme will be delivered to your cabin each evening and will include a full list of events taking place throughout the ship each day.

Don't miss the Planetarium at Illuminations.

Have a wonderful crossing.

Jonathan

Hello!

Which airline are you flying to New York with?

Will the luggage allowance permit you to take all the stuff you want to, for formal nights and the likes?

T5

Hello!

Which airline are you flying to New York with?

Will the luggage allowance permit you to take all the stuff you want to, for formal nights and the likes?

T5

We each have a baggage allowance of 23Kg so for the 4 of us plus hand luggage I hope it will be enough. Thanks for the info cruiserking.

We're on this one too. We are flying out 3 days early to have some time in New York. We have a our 5 year old son and 2 year old daughter with us so it is nice to know there are some other children on board. Is there anything specific you want advice on? We have only been on one Cunard cruise and that was without the children, but my kids have been on several cruises and love it - probably because we're so relaxed! It's an easy holiday to do with children and the children's clubs are bound to have a whole host of activities to keep them entertained if they get bored of their parents' company.

Welcome to the Aug cruise, there is a roll call for this cruise, please come an join us .

I cannot help with the childrens activities as I am a senior and travel solo . I am ex Brit by the way, also ex RAF, (Jim did 35 yrs, I did 2 in the WAAF and 30 as military wife - have suitcase will travel,our son was REME and our daughter WRAF) Jim died in 98.

Lynn

If you wish you could e mail me at rafex1@earthlink.net , and if I can answer your questions I will. Have travelled on QE2,QM2 and QV.

Hi there southamptoncruisers!

The great thing about the transatlantic crossing is that you and your kids will have so much time to experience the QM2 as a destination in itself; you won't feel the need to cram everything into a couple of "sea days". I haven't done crossings on the QM2 but did a few on QE2 and really appreciated the time available to thoroughly explore the ship and take part in as few or as many activities as I wanted. As you'll be on board for nearly a week you will be able to take your time on the "Maritime Quest" around the ship which explains the history of Cunard Line.

If you are foodies, or just plain curious about how the Britannia Restaurant manages to feed so many people, I suggest you enquire at the Purser's Desk as to whether there are any galley tours planned. I did one a couple of years ago during a QM2 voyage to the fjords and it provided a fascinating behind the scenes insight. The tours were not advertised and tickets were free and on a first come, first served basis. I don't know how frequently tours are organised since I did the same trip last year and was told none were planned.

Finally, I would recommend an early visit to the bookshop and library - these facillities are reckoned to be the finest at sea.

Enjoy the crossing!

Archived