Pearl

mtlcpl91

My partner and I have had suites in both the front and the aft of the ship and while it's windy up front it really isn't all that bad. It does depend on the wind across the ship.

My preference...aft suites by far. Zero wind and the sound of the ship going through the water. On the NCL ships I've sailed there is more privacy out back as well.

The ship makes its own wind when underway. If there is no other wind, you can count on about 25mph winds at the front of the ship. If they are travelling into a natural wind, it will be the 25 mph plus the natural wind.

The balconies at the front of the ship do have an angled steel barrier that tends to deflect the wind upwards, so that there is a "wind shadow" forward near the railing and below the railing.

If wind is an issue and you have a chance for an aft balcony suite, I would go for that. The only downside in my opinion is that food and maybe cigarette ashes from the Great Outdoors deck may drift down.

Hopefully, others who have real experience with these cabins, both at the bow and the stern will chime in and give you more info.

I think it depends where you are cruising. We have a forward penthouse booked on the Pearl for our upcoming Alaska cruise. We don't expect to be able to use the veranda much but do think it will be worth it for the views in Glacier Bay.

Just wondering if wind is an issue for the suites in the front of the Pearl.

We are looking into booking one of these rooms and would like to know.

Thanks in advance

mtlcpl

It definitely depends on where and when you are cruising. I much prefer the forward suites for the view, and the sense you have when out there of being the only ones on board. You can look forward at the ocean and the view and almost completely forget there are several thousand other people on board with you.

Pros for the forward suites:

View - outstanding! And I much prefer to see where I'm going, rather than where I've been.

Balcony size - much larger than any others on most ships.

Privacy - pretty good, although remember that some of your balcony is visible from the bridge above.

Cons:

Breezy. Not only do you get the wind, if coming over the bow, but the forward motion of the ship creates a substantial breeze on its own. I don't find that a problem in the Caribbean in the summer, when it's warm enough. During the winter in the Caribbean, on a cool or grey day, it can actually be a little chilly.

For the Alaska run, I think the benefits of the forward balcony far outweigh the chilly breeze. One of my most memorable moments was being out on the forward balcony on the Pearl, ghosting into the calm waters of Glacier Bay at 6am...absolutely stunning. You get such a wide view of the scenery from a forward balcony on the Alaska cruise....and that's a big part of why you're there. You can always put on more layers to stay warm, and we did!

I think it depends where you are cruising. We have a forward penthouse booked on the Pearl for our upcoming Alaska cruise. We don't expect to be able to use the veranda much but do think it will be worth it for the views in Glacier Bay.

Actually, we used our forward balcony quite a bit on the Alaska run. On a sunny afternoon docked in Juneau, we sat out there, quite warm, and drank champagne and ate strawberries, all while marveling at the view.

The Glacier Bay experience from the balcony is absolutely stunning. I think you'll find you want to be out there quite a lot. Bring some layers and a warm jacket, and you'll be fine.

Thank you "Video Tech" I have had trouble deciding on weather or not to pay the extra for a forward balcony in Alaska and you have just made up my mind. I think they may also be a good idea for Panama Canal transits too.

We had a front (and side) balcony on our Pearl cruise to Alaska last summer. Front was great when in port, or in Glacier bay. But the ship goes 25 knots between the long haul ports and you won't want to be out there. All in all, we enjoyed it for Alaska. But for any place else, I'd try an aft.

I think they may also be a good idea for Panama Canal transits too.[/quote]

We did the two week Panama Canal transit in the Owner's Suite with a forward and side balcony. It was amazing. You could see a lot! We had great weather and were very comfortable out on the balcony pretty much every day. YMMV depending on the weather. Remember that if the wind is coming from the aft, then you have little to no wind forward.

The other consideration is that you will get a bit more up and down movement forward; then again, we had 13 out of 14 days as smooth as glass. I think Alaska would be beautiful from the front balcony.

Archived