Baby monitor or not

Pacclady

We will be traveling with my then-19 month old son in August on the Carnival Dream. This is my very first trip (not just first cruise) with my son so I'm nervous on many levels. Anyhow, we're going with 10 family members and have 4 cabins in a row (3 balconies and a penthouse). Here's my question...if we put our son to bed in our cabin and want to hang out in the cabin next door:

1. Would a baby monitor even work with all the metal in those ships? We'd be right next door so I think it would but I'm not sure and don't want to bring it if it's useless?

2. Is a baby monitor just silly and we all know the walls are not sound proof and I'll him cry without the monitor anyway?

Thanks for any advice. And I'll take any advice about traveling with an under 2 year old as well! :)

We haven't tried it (yet), but my understanding is that range is limited but they will work in that type of situation. I'm sure others will have actual experience to offer.

However, the walls are pretty sound proof. I would not expect to hear talking, coughing, moaning, sobbing, vomiting or anything short of a full on cry/scream. With adults presumably conversing in the next cabin and/or wind noise on the balcony, I wouldn't assume I could hear and care for my kids appropriately without the radio.

Other advice... I'd work out any babysitting expectations before the cruise so no feelings are hurt and you don't go in with the wrong expectations. You will find it very helpful to have some break time. A 19MO will run you ragged on a ship. But... you don't want other people to resent being "called into service". They are on vacation too, eh?

Check the kids club for under-2 time.

Have him try lots of the interesting foods. Try not to waste too much, but it's a great time to have him try ... well, everything. :D

I had this exact same question. We are travelling in July with my 13month old, there will be four cabins and I'm not sure I want to be confined to my cabin at 8pm (not to mention she is a light sleeper and if we do anything other than watch tv on low she'll most likely wake up). I was planning on taking the monitor since our rooms are all in a row. Hope this works! Otherwise I better bring a few books :-)

We had our 18 month old twins with family in nine cabins in a row. We did bring the monitor and used it every time we went out. For the one connecting cabin with my parents we did not need it, but did use it when we needed to hear from other cabins. I would say it spanned 6-7 mini-suites and worked better when on the balcony.

1. Would a baby monitor even work with all the metal in those ships? We'd be right next door so I think it would but I'm not sure and don't want to bring it if it's useless? Bring it! Even if you are just hanging out on your own balcony during naps, you won't be able to hear what is going on inside your room. There will potentially be interference from the ship structure as well as from anyone else who might have a monitor close by (above, below, or next to your room)

2. Is a baby monitor just silly and we all know the walls are not sound proof and I'll him cry without the monitor anyway? As much as people around here complain about walls being paper thin or hearing conversations next door... In my experience this is grossly exaggerated! We have on one occasion heard a screaming child next door or some blaring music. Other than that we have rarely ever known that we had neighbors if it wasn't for seeing them entering/leaving their cabin (this includes the ones with kids as well).

Thanks for any advice. And I'll take any advice about traveling with an under 2 year old as well! :) Take lots of patience and be willing to go with the flow!!!

Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it. I think we'll bring the monitor just in case and if they don't work, then we'll work on the next option.

We have already worked out with family that we are not expecting them to be the baby sitters but we wouldn't be opposed if anyone just offered to watch him for a little bit. (Yeah, that's going to happen.) We're going for my mom's 60th birthday so I don't expect her to be up for babysitting. She'll be too busy partying! :)

Tunseeker, our son currently sleeps in a different room from us so I don't see how leaving him in another cabin is any different. Honestly, if we're in the next cabin, he'll be closer than he is if we're downstairs in the family room watching TV.

I've never been on Carnival before, only NCL and Princess. So I don't know if Carnical cabins are more soundproof. On previous cruises, I've often heard the neighbor's TV or discussions or whatever. Of course, my husband says I hear way more than most people so it could just be me.

Again, thanks so much!!!!

For what it's worth, we took out DD when she was 15 months old and we would put her to sleep in the pack n play then after she was sound asleep (which she was exhausted from all the activity, so she went right to sleep) we would take her and put her in a stroller and cover it w/ a blanket and went to the shows or just walked around the ship. One night we even put her to sleep in the room, then the stroller, drop her off in the kids club(they had babysitting for a couple hours at night for an additional cost), transferred her to another crib when we picked her up i carried her back to the room and back into the pack n play never woke up. So it's an idea if your son is a sound sleeper it'll let you out of the room more at night. She is now almost 11 and I miss those toddler days....(sometimes)..... Have fun no matter what you do.

Archived