Water to drink...not free?????

Kelownabccan

It's a European thing. At a restaurant in France you can ask for a carafe (tap water, sometimes from the fridge, always free) but most people ask for a specific brand of bottled water. We're tap water people, it's never a problem asking for a carafe. In Italy they look at you funny if you ask for tap water, it's the sure sign of a cheap skate there. We don't care, I still ask for tap water. If I'm in the mood to pay for a beverage I'll ask for a diet coke or wine or something!

I was in Italy last month (see my cruise date after my siggie) and it was impossible to get tap water in any eatery, only bottled.

Well, in Venice, anyway.

Whoops, I just noticed my cruise thingie vanished! It used to say sailed and the date, but now it's gone!

I was on the MSC Musica, May.8th-15th and loved every minute.

Edited by Marian Paroo

MSC has beautiful ships and quite comfortable too but, comparing to Costa, MSC is quiet mean not only with water but also with olive oil and vinegar, which tends to bother me. As mentioned above, why not charge 25 USD more and be generous with the water? They do sell drink packages but their price is not that much better than buying individually. I think they are slowly learning that pax are aware that the price is good for the cruise and will not be a Silverseas or Seabourn experience but some of the basics would help them win more of a market share. Costa, as I mentioned, tends to be more generous and that is their main competitor

Actually, MSC is more generous than Costa. MSC has introduced evening buffets and free coffee/te 24/7. Costa has not this service. Both charge for water.

MSC has beautiful ships and quite comfortable too but, comparing to Costa, MSC is quiet mean not only with water but also with olive oil and vinegar, which tends to bother me. As mentioned above, why not charge 25 USD more and be generous with the water? They do sell drink packages but their price is not that much better than buying individually. I think they are slowly learning that pax are aware that the price is good for the cruise and will not be a Silverseas or Seabourn experience but some of the basics would help them win more of a market share. Costa, as I mentioned, tends to be more generous and that is their main competitor

I immagine you want to say "quite mean" and not quiet. In Europe we're used to paying for bottled water when we dine at a restaurant, and it's not at all unexpected. As far as the olive oil and vinegar, if you want more for your salad they bring it to you, either with a cruet set or small bottles of oil and/or balsamic vinegar. As one who cruises quite a bit on both Costa and MSC, I'd have to say that MSC tends to be a little more "generous" and their prices are a little less than Costa's.

Actually, MSC is more generous than Costa. MSC has introduced evening buffets and free coffee/te 24/7. Costa has not this service. Both charge for water.

Could not disagree more. Did two cruises in each and Costa was the one who had an evening buffet and coffee and tea (buffet area) anytime I wanted. MSC was the one closing the buffet at 17:00 and removing the coffee, tea and closing the water machine at around 11:00.

Costa delivers free port information while MSC wanted to charge for the photocopies. I feel like having my wallet squeezed more often on MSC than on Costa but the ships, as I said, are beautiful and the decor far more elegant on MSC. Having said that Costa Fortuna is a very happy ship which was not a feeling I had on the MSC ships.

I immagine you want to say "quite mean" and not quiet. In Europe we're used to paying for bottled water when we dine at a restaurant, and it's not at all unexpected. As far as the olive oil and vinegar, if you want more for your salad they bring it to you, either with a cruet set or small bottles of oil and/or balsamic vinegar. As one who cruises quite a bit on both Costa and MSC, I'd have to say that MSC tends to be a little more "generous" and their prices are a little less than Costa's.

Well, I am European and I live in Europe. I also tend to find here water fountains in town and surroundings which delivers free water if I feel like it in the middle of the day. It is not the paying is the feeling that I am been 'forced' to pay. Costa has the olive oil and a very good balsamico in every table, no need to ask for it. Same goes for the towels by the pool. It is MSC that makes me 'sign' for them and give them back at the same point, etc. Costa just places them around the pool, on the chairs, on a help yourself basis.

True, MSC prices are lower but then again they try to compensate by charging for anything they can. However their ships are more generous on the amount of open deck space comparing to Costa.

Got back off the MSC Opera this morning. She is a beautiful well maintained ship. Just to lay this ghost to rest, they will give you free iced water in the dining room. I was never asked if I wanted bottled but knew it was available. Some people were drinking bottled water & obviously paying for it without complaint. They refilled my glass without me having to ask.

Coffee, teas & iced water were available all day from dispensing machines on deck eleven. Two types of juice available at breakfast, again from dispensers.

Coffee was offered after dinner, at no charge. I only drink decaf & even that was available.

One thing I will add is with regards to the food. I heard a lot of people complaining about the food. Comments like "I would not have booked if I had known it was this type of food" My response was"Well you must have known it was an Italian cruise company when you booked, what do you expect?"

I have very eclectic taste in food & will try anything. I can honestly say that if you like Italian food you will love the fare served on this ship. Their pasta, risotto, and anti pasti were all superb. There were a few unusual dishes on the menu which i tried & was extremely pleased with.It would be fair to say that the buffet was not as extensive as some would like but the food was good and well presented. There was always something there that appealed to me.

If anybody has any questions I will be pleased to answer.

Thanks for your positive comments. Glad to hear tap water and coffee is available in the MDR for dinner. We are getting on Opera and Fantasia in Sept & Oct. Thanks for your comments on the food. I am vegetarian and love Italian food, but I always find enough to eat on all the other cruise lines, without indicating that I am vegetarian. As for the 'signing' for towels on MSC - one has to do that on RCI.

Rosie

Could not disagree more. Did two cruises in each and Costa was the one who had an evening buffet and coffee and tea (buffet area) anytime I wanted. MSC was the one closing the buffet at 17:00 and removing the coffee, tea and closing the water machine at around 11:00.

Costa delivers free port information while MSC wanted to charge for the photocopies. I feel like having my wallet squeezed more often on MSC than on Costa but the ships, as I said, are beautiful and the decor far more elegant on MSC. Having said that Costa Fortuna is a very happy ship which was not a feeling I had on the MSC ships.

Regarding your experience with the buffet and drink dispensers, you probably cruised MSC prior to 1 April 2011. Now the buffet is open from 19.00 to 20.30 for those who don't want to eat in the MDR (except gala nights) and the drink dispensers (water, coffee, tea) are open all day long.

On my MSC Melody cruise last month photocopies of the port towns were available free of charge at the reception desk.

Edited by Capricruiser

Regarding your experience with the buffet and drink dispensers, you probably cruised MSC prior to 1 April 2011. Now the buffet is open from 19.00 to 20.30 for those who don't want to eat in the MDR (except gala nights) and the drink dispensers (water, coffee, tea) are open all day long.

On my MSC Melody cruise last month photocopies of the port towns were available free of charge at the reception desk.

Indeed it was before 01 April 2011. I heard there was a policy change regarding water, etc.

As for the food I find little difference from Costa although that can vary from ship to ship naturally.

Port information is a basic minimum, so if they now learned not to be mean about that too, I am happy to hear.

I shall check it all in August but must say that MSC was not my first choice for that cruise. There are aspects of their operation that I like and find indeed very positive points but still not a favourite line.

It took MSC a little while...but finally they listened to their customers..

MSC Gives Passengers More Dining Options

Thursday, 28 April 2011

The innovations MSC Cruises is rolling out across the fleet from the end of April are all designed to make an MSC cruise even more fun, more varied and more flexible than ever before.

Complementing the elegant dining experience of MSC’s waiter service and specialty restaurants, guests can now dip into lighter, casual dining at their leisure, with the buffet restaurants introducing an evening service with no fixed sitting times, so they can dine exactly as and when they please.

That could be the ideal spontaneous dining solution before or after a Spa treatment or visit to the ship’s theatre. Or following a day-long excursion. Or after irresistibly endless fun, games and sunbathing in the outstanding leisure facilities on board.

And of course it’s a dream come true for kids and teens, who generally prefer, short, informal feeds - preferably on impulse and as frequently as possible. They’ll be over the moon to discover that MSC’s buffet restaurants will be extending the wide choice available to include fresh pizza without charge and whenever they want, each and every evening of their cruise!

Meanwhile, their parents won’t just be relieved to hear these are wholesome, genuine Neapolitan pizzas, but as soon as they set eyes on them, they’ll want a slice, too. What’s more, guests will be able to ring the changes, since many of the ships in the MSC fleet will be complementing their pizzas with a choice of genuine kebabs - all also offered as a courtesy snack throughout the evening.

But that’s not all. MSC is in addition making it even easier for guests to slake their thirst as soon as it strikes, with complimentary American coffee, teas, iced water and ice available not just during breakfast and buffet dining, but 24 hours a day.

Taken altogether, these thoughtful innovations will make quite a difference to how cruise goers enjoy the immense variety that is typical of MSC, offering industry-leading choice, convenience and flexibility, so they can live every impulse to the full. Which is, of course, exactly what a modern cruise holiday should be all about.

And what line would you suggest Zambini? :)

Here are two with links to their reviews, they have a pretty good Med. presence, which seems to be the primary area of interest on the MSC board.

Holland America:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews_cruiselines.cfm?cl=21&StartRow=1&sort=date_newest

Celebrity:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/celebrity-cruises/cl/

Note the difference with MSC:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/msc-cruises/cl/

Personally, I have found their prices to be reasonable and in the same ballpark as MSC

Here are two with links to their reviews, they have a pretty good Med. presence, which seems to be the primary area of interest on the MSC board.

Holland America:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews_cruiselines.cfm?cl=21&StartRow=1&sort=date_newest

Celebrity:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/celebrity-cruises/cl/

Note the difference with MSC:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/msc-cruises/cl/

Personally, I have found their prices to be reasonable and in the same ballpark as MSC

Well, not if you travel as a solo cruiser. Costa has some single cabins for a reasonable price and MSC tends to have special offers on the single supplement but HAL as well as Celebrity (following RCCL policy) tend to be quite heavy on the single supplement

Well, not if you travel as a solo cruiser. Costa has some single cabins for a reasonable price and MSC tends to have special offers on the single supplement but HAL as well as Celebrity (following RCCL policy) tend to be quite heavy on the single supplement

I'm not a solo, but i've read NCL has solo cabins on EPIC

• 5 years later...

This thread is five years old. You will find different practices on Divina for the US customer than on the ships sailing in Europe with a minority of North Americans. They will serve water from a pitcher in the MDR. You can drink the water from the faucet, or bring a sports bottle and fill it with ice and water in the buffet. They will be happy to sell you bottled water. You cannot bring any beverages onboard with you. EM