Packing Epiphany

hmwinter85

I pack reasonably.....my husband packs very light.....but our daughter is an over-packer for sure. She's given a large suitcase and a 50 pound weight limit (if we're flying).....and we're weighing the suitcase the night before we leave.....it's usually 48-49 pounds with at least 15 pairs of shoes.

Thats so funny! My hubby and I are just the same, we take way too much stuff. But we don't care, its our vacation. Thank goodness that we don't have to fly to the cruise port, we would pay alot for the extra luggage.

Enjoy your cruise! We are counting the days to our next cruise in October on Carnival Pride, can't wait!!

I so agree.. I was trying to pack light for my 10 day cruise in March and not doing very well. Stuff was going in and out of the suitcase all week. Then one day I went to lunch and my fortune said "If you want it.. Take it..." (it is now taped to my monitor at work). I came home and hauled out another suitcase!! But I wasn't flying, I might be different when I have to fly for a cruise.

I also overpack but will wear everything minus a few outfit. I do not want to put something on and be unhappy with the way it feels so there are extra outfits.

My husband long ago gave up and tells me just take another piece of luggage.

I have learned over the years, by keeping alist of things we did not use and leaving those things at home.

So happy to hear there are others like me.

Hi! My name is Mousey and I'm an overpacker! I take great pride in that fact. I love clothes and always make sure I have choices when I travel. Wear an outfit twice!:eek: Surely you jest! I say to each his own. I think its funny that in the past when I traveled with girlfriends they would be like "What did you bring so much stuff for"? Next thing you know it was... by the way do you have some earrings that would match this dress, do you have an extra pair of jeans, can I wear your blue, purple, pink, etc., etc. shoes? Can I use your blue evening bag tonight....and on and on and on.

So, I'm an overpacker and know no shame!:D

My name is Liz and I am an over-packer. If DH would let me, I would take two large cases just for me. My daddy always said "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Therein lies my packing philosophy. We are on the west coast, so have to fly for every cruise.

Not doing my own laundry while on vacation. Wash undies in the sink? Ugh!

We do usually wait for the $20/bag laundry special. Hint, lie everything you want to have washed flat in the same size as the paper bag, compress and then slide it into the bag. They are narrow and paper and will split if looked at cross-ways.

I do leave my purse home. Take a large tote for the plane, and a small wrist strap bag for my seapass while onboard, and a leather pouch-like thing that can be worn around the hips or over the body for shore. Holds camera, water bottle, snack for kid, fan, wallet, etc.

Always take my power strip and French press, hot water coil, fruit knife, corkscrew/bottle opener, round hair dryer, bought a netbook when I replaced my last laptop, to download photos. Bought two Platypus collapsible water bottles years ago. DH gave me incredible grief about that, have used them both countless times, best travel gadget I ever bought.

All this plus shoes! Second best travel gadget ever is the suitcase scale. Since DH limits me to one checked bag for each of us, I get 49.99 lbs in each one. Third best purchase was four-wheel spinner suitcases. You can just shove them along with your hip if necessary.

DH husband will tease me about a month before the next trip saying "it's time to start making piles!" It will all be packed and wrinkling away a week before departure.

Liz

If it makes you feel any better I wore a different swimsuit each day of our freedom cruise, so that means 8 with a cover up and flops. Then a change outfit then a dinner outfit and never repeated. Follow your bliss honey girl!

I once had 21 pairs of shoes on a cruise. Whatever makes YOU happy:D

I don't even own 21 pairs of shoes! I have one pair of heels, because I can not walk in heels at all.. Then flipflops and flats :)

I thought I was being so smart to buy those space saver bag thingys. UNTIL, I started to pick up the suitcase! I packed a TON! Never mattered before since we live right by Port Canaveral. We are flying to Europe this time and not only will we have to check these bags, but there will be a little dragging them around between the airport and the hotel and then a few days later to the port! So I have to do some serious editing for this cruise. It is killing me! You do what works for you and ENJOY!!! I'll miss all those shoes!!!!!!

The true"art" of overpacking is to get a weeks worth of clothing into your carry-on.

I'm not allowed to do this. Simply, no room for souveniers.

Now that most airlines charge per bag with strict weight limits the luggage is much lighter. We had decent luggage we bought about 10 years ago. We had to give up using the large case because you could easily pack 70-80lbs into it. That set was just not built with weight restrictions in mind. It's heavy before you start putting clothes into it. For our cruise last year we decided to invest in some ultra lite luggage. The big one weighs only about 7lbs empty. Lots of room to pack it in.

Wait! The matching carry-on is also ultra light and it's got lots of pockets

plenty of places to shove shoes and other odd shaped objects. Oh, and our upcoming cruise on Carnival it will have plenty of room for allowed beverages!:D

That's the whole fun of packing, getting to wear what you want when you want. Go for it.l ;)

I’m just starting to pack for my Freedom cruise next week. I’ve read all of the packing threads here and even though I’m less than halfway done I know I’m over packing. And you know what, I’m alright with it. Do I really need two different outfits (day and night) for each day or four different bathing suits all with a matching cover up and flip flops? No. Am I going to bring them all anyway? Yes.

Please don’t assume that I’m doing this for anyone else but me. I don’t care what people think of me, nor do I care what anyone else is wearing. I’m bringing all these cloths (a lot of which are new) because for part of my vacation experience is about dressing fun, sassy, and sexy. It makes me feel great about myself and adds to my overall fun. I spend my work week in jeans and t-shirts in dirty greasy industrial buildings with a hard hat and work boots for accessories. So throwing on a sexy tank top and a killer pair of shoes is a change for me.

I just wanted to put this out there so that the other over packers out there know they are not alone.

My daughter is a fashion marketing major at FIT and writes a fashion blog--needless to say, I had to photograph her with at least 2 outfits a day as she blogged about our trip! Fortunately we can fly Southwest and not get dinged for 2 bags! This cruise is longer, so that will mean a few more outfits!!! She always looks good though and really enjoys dressing for cruising.;)

I am an over packer as well, and on vacation I love to look great. I am leaving out of NY this year and because I am only about 20 minutes from the terminal, I know that I will be over packing and bringing all of my goodies.

Yep, pack however you want. Never understand what some people have against overpacking. How in the world does it affect them? Just a lot of people in this world who like to be in control of everyone else I guess. Nothing wrong with a little advice and guidance, but don't need to be all high and mighty about it. I think I'll go overpack now.

I’m just starting to pack for my Freedom cruise next week. I’ve read all of the packing threads here and even though I’m less than halfway done I know I’m over packing. And you know what, I’m alright with it. Do I really need two different outfits (day and night) for each day or four different bathing suits all with a matching cover up and flip flops? No. Am I going to bring them all anyway? Yes.

Please don’t assume that I’m doing this for anyone else but me. I don’t care what people think of me, nor do I care what anyone else is wearing. I’m bringing all these cloths (a lot of which are new) because for part of my vacation experience is about dressing fun, sassy, and sexy. It makes me feel great about myself and adds to my overall fun. I spend my work week in jeans and t-shirts in dirty greasy industrial buildings with a hard hat and work boots for accessories. So throwing on a sexy tank top and a killer pair of shoes is a change for me.

I just wanted to put this out there so that the other over packers out there know they are not alone.

As long as you are able to get your luggage to the ship and back home you get to choose how much to bring.

We overpacked greatly the first few cruises and than as time has gone on took less and less and now that we are platinum one large suitcase works for both of us.

Have a great cruise.

The true"art" of overpacking is to get a weeks worth of clothing into your carry-on.

I'm not allowed to do this. Simply, no room for souveniers.

Now that most airlines charge per bag with strict weight limits the luggage is much lighter. We had decent luggage we bought about 10 years ago. We had to give up using the large case because you could easily pack 70-80lbs into it. That set was just not built with weight restrictions in mind. It's heavy before you start putting clothes into it. For our cruise last year we decided to invest in some ultra lite luggage. The big one weighs only about 7lbs empty. Lots of room to pack it in.

Wait! The matching carry-on is also ultra light and it's got lots of pockets

plenty of places to shove shoes and other odd shaped objects. Oh, and our upcoming cruise on Carnival it will have plenty of room for allowed beverages!:D

We are thinking of buying new luggage. What brand did you buy that is so lite in weight?

Thanks.

Diane

• 1 month later...

well, i am an overpacker and am happy with that. for years i had the 2 biggest suitcases stuffed whenever i went on a cruise. over the years, i became a smarter packer, and can and have done it with only 1 suitcase. but, then i miss some of the things i don't bring. last time i said it's my money, i'm just going to pay to check 2 suitcases and be done with it. (not as big of suitcases as years ago) i didn't have to worry about how much each suitcase weighed, it was great. plenty of room for souvenirs! do what makes you happy!

I have to agree with the OP. For the past 20 years I have been wearing a uniform to work (military and now law enforcement). I am soooooooo looking forward to dressing like a girl for a few days!!

TrixieJo :D

Archived