CPAP Machine Usage on Flight

madcitymaven

I know that this isn't a Celebrity Cruises question per se, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with using a CPAP machine on an extremely long flight (over 10 hours) to be able to say that it's possible. We'll be flying an American Airlines 767 to Santago, Chile in 2012 and it would be nice to be able to catch some "safe" zzzz's during the flight. Normally, I would just resign myself to the need to stay awake, but if I could possibly use my CPAP, I'd arrive much more refreshed.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Since this is not Celebrity-specific, you might get more responses if you were to post this in the "Air" forum on this site. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Your question could be more definitively answered by calling AA. Also, I've seen this topic come-up now and then at Flyertalk.com so you might want to check over there.

Does your machine have a battery-pack for a long flight? Does your aircraft have AC power at the seat? Are you flying in economy or business class? (Some airlines have AC power only in business class). Food for thought.

I just replaced my cpap with an oral appliance. No wires, no mask. Much easier to travel with. The cpap was always a problem connecting to power on a cruise, as there is usually only one receptacle in a cabin and never near the bed.

I asked the dentist if I needed to wear it on the plane overnight to Europe and he said he never does as he sleeps more or less in a partially sitting position, not flat on his back. I don't think I have sleep apnea when I fall asleep sitting or reclining. Unless you're in a first class seat that turns into a bed, I wouldn't worry.

My health insurance covered it.

I'd say not to bother with it, unless as someone else says you're in the lay flat area of a plane. When you're already crammed like sardines into economy, the likelihood of having space to setup a cpap machine is pretty nil and would probably be pretty disruptive to your seat neighbor. Then there's of course the fact that not all seats have a power port or 2-3 seats share 1 power port.

I can't speak to personal experience of sleeping with my CPAP on flights, but I would agree you ought to figure out a way to use it if you're going to be attempting to sleep.

As for the oral devices, they don't work for everyone, and even in those who believe they work they may not be stopping but only reducing their apnea.

And as for falling asleep in a recliner or semi-upright position, that does not preclude apnea. Ask anyone at home if you snore while sleeping in your recliner. Or what about sitting upright and having one's head roll forward onto the chest — that, too, will constrict the airway.

CM

I can't speak to personal experience of sleeping with my CPAP on flights, but I would agree you ought to figure out a way to use it if you're going to be attempting to sleep.

As for the oral devices, they don't work for everyone, and even in those who believe they work they may not be stopping but only reducing their apnea.

And as for falling asleep in a recliner or semi-upright position, that does not preclude apnea. Ask anyone at home if you snore while sleeping in your recliner. Or what about sitting upright and having one's head roll forward onto the chest — that, too, will constrict the airway.

CM

I guess it depends on the individual as my bf doesn't snore at all when he falls asleep upright LOL. Laying down he stopped breathing I think 13 times an hour, or 30, i forget the number. Scary stuff. He has a hard time keeping the mask on at night though, discomfort/leaking/etc.

Yes, it's all very much individual. Each one's soft palate works differently and closes off the airway differently and in varying positions — not necessarily flat on the back.

If your BF has mask discomfort, leakage, and other troubles please have him speak to his local sleep clinic/attending physician about it. There are a multitude of mask types/styles to try, and even pillows that may help keep the seal from leaking.

CM

I just replaced my cpap with an oral appliance. No wires, no mask. Much easier to travel with. The cpap was always a problem connecting to power on a cruise, as there is usually only one receptacle in a cabin and never near the bed.

I asked the dentist if I needed to wear it on the plane overnight to Europe and he said he never does as he sleeps more or less in a partially sitting position, not flat on his back. I don't think I have sleep apnea when I fall asleep sitting or reclining. Unless you're in a first class seat that turns into a bed, I wouldn't worry.

My health insurance covered it.

What is the name of this device? Is there a photo/website? My son-in-law is suppose to be using a CPAC, but...

What is the name of this device? Is there a photo/website? My son-in-law is suppose to be using a CPAC, but...

The name of the company is SomnoMed. Go to http://www.somnomed.com

As someone above said, it doesn't work for everyone. As a matter of fact, I've had it about 4 weeks and until I do a sleep study (I'm waiting until September, after my cruise), I won't really know how effective it is. At least my wife said that I'm not snoring.

Funny timing - AA called from their Special Assistance Center (SAC) to go over my wife's usage of her CPAP from LA to London on our way to the Equinox. Her machine is approved for travel, and we bought an 8 hour battery pack a few years back for these kind of flights. I called AA last month and they called back now 30 days before the flight. We gave AA the model details and she is set to go.

A note - you cannot rely on the powerport on an airplane, as many are being disabled for a number of reasons (AA 757s are kaput now), or the one in your row could malfunction. You need the battery pack. It was a $300 investment but worth it.

Jack

The name of the company is SomnoMed. Go to www.somnomed.com

As someone above said, it doesn't work for everyone. As a matter of fact, I've had it about 4 weeks and until I do a sleep study (I'm waiting until September, after my cruise), I won't really know how effective it is. At least my wife said that I'm not snoring.

Well do you feel better, as in not being tired during the day or falling asleep at your desk or driving? Then it might be working for you. My dh didn't have a problem on the cruise with his machine. We took a extension cord and power strip. Battery pack is great for flying and if you camp or motorhome it, its great too.

You have gotten a lot of good advice. I use CPAP and find for me I don't need it if I am sitting up on a plane. For some this doesn't work but I from what I have read on cpap.com it works for most. That is a very good site for advice on using a CPAP machine.

The name of the company is SomnoMed. Go to http://www.somnomed.com

Thank you!

Yes, it's all very much individual. Each one's soft palate works differently and closes off the airway differently and in varying positions — not necessarily flat on the back.

If your BF has mask discomfort, leakage, and other troubles please have him speak to his local sleep clinic/attending physician about it. There are a multitude of mask types/styles to try, and even pillows that may help keep the seal from leaking.

CM

He has. Unfortunately never seems to lead to a better option. I think he's tried 4 or 5 different ones so far in the 1.5 years he's had it. Some nights he says it stays fine and he can wear it all night. Some nights he says it leaks in the middle of the night and he just takes it off because he doesn't feel like messing with it.

I personally tell him that he really should mess with it and get it back on, but he doesn't listen to me...heaven forbid. lol

Archived