Coki Beach & Parasail info

Marysunshine

I already booked parasailing at Coral World and planned to visit Coral World and spend some time at Coki Beach. I have now read many posts saying how badly run down Coral World is. We still want to do the parasailing and go to Coki Beach. I know they are not very far from each other, but we are two senior citizens. Does anyone know how far it would be and if there is any transportation to get from one to the other?

Marysunshine,

We were just at Coral World last week. I have no idea what it used to be like, because this was our first trip to the Caribbean. It didn't seem run down to me (but I have no basis for comparison!). They suffered tremendous damage from a hurricane (don't know how many years ago), but I think renovations were completed January 2004. We thought Coral World was great - but then we really like zoos, wildlife parks, etc. I thought the web site for Coral World very accurately depicts what it is like. We got some great pictures there of iguanas, turtles, fish (through the glass, no less!) The only part that I thought was not so impressive is the place where you can go down stairs and see out windows into the ocean. Neither coral nor fish were very exciting there. All the other exhibits were great.

We had thought about parasailing at Coki, but we ended up not doing it. I had emailed the companies who have links on the Coral World web site for snorkeling, snuba, and parasailing. All three companies responded promptly (within a few days) to my emails with informative responses. The beach at Coki is right by Coral World. However, as we were departing Coki beach, we drove down a road a ways, then I saw the building for "Coki Dive Club", which I think is the scuba and snorkeling outfitter. I thought that would have been a bit of a walk! I did not see the parasailing company, but I'm sure if you email them they'll let you know where they are. There is also a shop right by Coral World where you can rent or purchase snorkel equipment.

By the way, we wondered before going about how much time we would need to see everything at Coral World. We were given 2 hours by the taxi driver, who dropped most our group at the beach and just 2 couples went to Coral World. We wandered at a leisurely pace (took lots of pictures, wrote a couple of postcards to our kids) and saw everything in about 1 hour 45 minutes. Could have picked up the pace and saw everything in 1 hour 15 minutes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Debbi

Wow, can't thank you enough. We were so disappointed reading the bad reviews of CW that we were going to change all our plans but now I don't think we will. My sister is a huge nature lover and will probably really enjoy this place. This is her first cruise so I want it to be special for her. My problem now is that we are doing the parasail at noon. I think our best route would be leave the ship late morning, do the parasail first, Coral World second, and Coki Beach last. I am assuming that would be going in one direction.

Hey Mary,

I thought of something else. Are you signed up for parasailing through the ship? I think the ship's excursion is $79/pp and it's at a beach not far from the pier. The folks who operate out of Coki Beach charge $59/pp and they say they have a longer ride than what you get with the cruise ship (meaning, they start you out higher, I think).

I think if you parasail with the ship, after the excursion they would bring you back to the pier. Then you'd have to take a taxi to Coki Beach (and Coral World is just right there - no transportation in between).

When you're at Coral World, they have lockers so you could put your beach bag away while you're inside. They give you a wristband, so you can come and go between CW and Coki beach, so you can leave stuff in the locker while you're on the beach (if you bring a nice camera to CW). After your time on the beach, you can use the shower in the ladies room at CW to rinse a layer of saltwater off before you head back to the ship. That's always nice!

Have fun!

Debbi

Deb: you are the BEST!!!!~ No I did not book the parasail with the cruiseline. I booked via the internet with CaptMike from Skypirates. $55. pp and a tip of course. My sister has never parasailed so she is very excited. She just turned 78 and this will be a great experience for her. They also told me about $7 pp for the taxi each way. counting the days----

Mary Sunshine,

You have inspired me! My DH and I are 51 and I thought I might be too old to try parasailing for the first time! (not DH...same age ... years younger!)

I think we'll try it. Have you parasailed before? Is St. Thomas as good a place as any to try it? or are there better sights?

Thanks!

Wow - 78 and parasailing! gotta love it! I agree w/ CC Cruiser - very inspirational. Makes me want to try skydiving or something. ;)

CC Cruiser - I think St. Thomas is a good place for parasailing. Seems like there are more parasailing outfitters there than some of the other islands. If you are also going to St. Maarten, they have parasailing companies at Orient Beach and Divi Little Bay Beach. We went to Divi, and the prices seemed good for jetski, sailboats, parasailing. Can't remember the price, but I had read on CC that others thought the Divi parasailing company doesn't take you up as high.

Hope that helps.

Mary, I hope you and your sister have a great time on your cruise!

Debbi

Ladies: listen carefully, this is why I go parasailing: In 1998, for our 25th wedding anniversary, my husband and I went with Perillo Tours to Hawaii. One day when we had free time, he and I sat at the pool at the resort and relaxed. Along came this very nice couple from texas who was with our group and they asked what we had done for the day. We shrugged and said we were at the resort. They told us they went parasailing. Now this couple was close to our age.....I was 57 then and my husband was 69. I was shocked. But I thought about it and it always bothered me that we were such wimps.

Well in 2001, we were both diagnosed with cancer at the same time. He with lung cancer and I with breast cancer. He did the treatment routine and I did the surgery. He was doing well for a while and I recovered, so we went back to Hawaii in 2002. I swore I was going parasailing before I died. He was afraid people would call him chicken if he didn't come along. Now understand, I am afraid of heights and I can't swim :)

Well who cares.......we did it anyway. I was 61 and he was 73 and there we were, flying high and feeling like a million dollars. The crew took a whole roll of film of us up there and we were so proud of ourselves we showed the pictures to everyone. What an exhilarating experience.

In February of 2003, he passed away. I have the picture of us up in the air on my dresser. I value every opportunity to try anything new so that I know I'm "living" while I'm alive. I was back in Hawaii last May with dear friends and made them go up too. They loved it. On St. Maarten, 4/11/05 my sister and I are doing the Americas Cup Race. Everyone says it's something you'll always remember. So go for it.......do everything there is to do!!!! :)

Hello Mary,

It is not run down... was just there last week. Perhaps the comments you read lumped the Coki Point area, where Coki Beach and Coral World are located together with the aquarium. The area could be seen as a bit run down.

Coral World is about a 30 second walk from Coki Beach. Ok maybe 45 seconds. :)

I enjoyed your story - thank you for sharing it. Have a great time.

--Islander

Archived