Pearl 6/12 review

reefgirl

My husband, 2 teenage daughters, and myself were on the Pearl on 6/12. What a great cruise! We were on this ship once before, so had prior experience. The ship is clean and well maintained. I thought service was great throughout, with a couple of minor exceptions. We were in an A3 cabin. It was a very nice cabin with a beautiful master suite and bathroom. My husband took 4 baths during this trip! I haven't seen him in a bathtub in 20 years of marriage. I'm not sure the courtyard was worth the extra money, though. I didn't use it much. Also, there were some younger children and when they were in the courtyard I didn't feel it was particularly restful at times.

We thought the food was very good, overall. On our last cruise we never ventured near the buffet. My husband hates the crowds and refuses to eat there. I went there several times on this trip. It could be a zoo, of course, but I was happy with the selection and quality. There were a lot of choices for my vegetarian daughter. We also ate twice at Le Bistro, twice at the asian restaurant (I can't remember the name, not teppanyaki, though) and twice at Cagney's. We enjoyed the food a lot. On our last Cagney's visit my daughters didn't order entrees. Had I known we'd be charged full price for them I would have told them to go to the buffet.

We had some fun excursions. We zip-lined in Skagway, which was a total blast. The guides were very professional and friendly.

We fished with Ken from Northern Lights in Ketchikan. He was a terrific captain. My youngest teen caught a king. That made my oldest daughter want to try her hand at it, which surprised me. She also caught a king. I had one on the line, but it got away. That was fine by me since there's a limit to how much salmon I want shipped home.

We also saw the beautiful Butchart gardens. I almost ruined that excursion because as we were getting off the ship to board the bus I realized I didn't have the tickets. I was in a panic because I thought the bus would leave without us. I RAN up 10 flights of stairs, got the tickets, then battled my way back down. As it turned out we had plenty of time to make the bus. I also brought a camera with a near-dead battery. Oh well.

Unfortunately, our Juneau helo trip was cancelled due to weather. The only brightside was we got a $1000 refund, which helps to offset the $3000 bill we got when we disembarked the ship. Yes, we enjoyed some cocktails :)

One of the highlights of the trip was getting a tour of the bridge. That was something I didn't expect. It was so interesting to see some of the inner workings of the ship. I thought it was nice for my oldest teen to see, since she is off to the Naval Academy next week.

I used Already There towncars for our transportation from and to the Seattle airport, and was very happy with their service. After we were dropped off at the airport to fly home I realized I didn't have my iphone. I was distraught. I had left it in the towncar. I called them up and 20 minutes later the driver pulled up to the terminal with my phone. I gave him a good tip for his trouble.

It was such a nice cruise we signed up for cruise rewards.

Reef girl! I believe we saw you running back in when we were getting off with a panic look on your face. I also believe you were standing outside of Cagney's speaking with another family before going down the elevator. I was standing next to the lady you were speaking with in the lime green jacket.

The cruise was very nice, took an upsell at the last minute and ended up in a suite! Carlos and our butler, Dilip, could not have been nicer.

The spa irritated me though. Rang up some products without asking me if I wanted to purchase. Told her to take it off.

Glad you had a good time. And glad you got your phone back. I bet you could have kissed the guy who brought it back!:D:eek:

I think the driver was probably happier with the 30 bucks I gave him. :D

Sistersam, I am surprised you noticed me. I must have looked pretty frantic, indeed!

reefgirl,

You would not happen to have copies of your dailes from the cruise would you? If so would you be willing to scan and email them to me? I have a couple that is cruising with us for the first time in July and want to help them out with some more info.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

My DD and I were on the 6/12 cruise too! Our Juneau Heli tour was also cancelled. We did get to glacier hike on Meade Glacier in Skagway. The helicopters were amazing--glad I did it and now I never have to do it again! Walking on the glaciers was memorable!

Our experience with food on board was somewhat different. We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants and the main dining room was uninspiring. I did not go hungry, but I have never been on a cruise where shrimp cocktail was not offered once!

Alaska is the last wild frontier and is a MUST DO for everyone!

congrats on your daughters acceptance to the Naval Academy. My brother is a Naval Academy graduate - very proud of him.

Thank you, we are very proud of her. She applied to several Ivy League schools and wasn't accepted by any of them, which dismayed her greatly. Then she found out about the USNA. She is excited to be going. And a little apprehensive.

Luvpug- I had my doubts about the MDRs, so we didn't venture there

...I did not go hungry, but I have never been on a cruise where shrimp cocktail was not offered once!...

We were on the Pearl in May. I figured the shrimp cocktail went the way of the lobster dinner...it's now a lobster and fish combo dinner! My guess is they're trying to save a bit of money where they can, without charging the fuel supplement.

Thanks for your review - we are booked next June to Alaska on the Pearl. Glad to hear that the ship is getting good reviews. I know that next year things could be different. This will be my DW and my third Alaska Cruise and our 4th cruise total. We are taking my mother in law on both her first cruise and her first trip to SW Alaska (she has lived in both Fairbanks and Anchorage over 50 years ago). We are in a deck 10 aft Penthouse on the Starboard side of the ship. We are so excited - hard to wait a full year :mad:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived