Cayman - Turtle Farm - goggles?

mamaehen

I put this post on the Cayman Island board but did not get any answers so I thought I would try here...

We are going to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman and I was wondering if we should bring goggles so the kids can see the turtles swimming underwater? Or are they not necessary? Or are snorkle masks available at the turtle farm?

I put this post on the Cayman Island board but did not get any answers so I thought I would try here...

We are going to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman and I was wondering if we should bring goggles so the kids can see the turtles swimming underwater? Or are they not necessary? Or are snorkle masks available at the turtle farm?

There is no swimming at the Turtle Farm, they are in pools and the kids can touch the young ones

The turtles are in big holding tanks (big round pools) and there is no swimming. The guides take a few turtles out of the water and pass them around so everyone can hold them and take pictures. There is also a nice gift shop. Bringing googles would be a waste. There is an excursion that combines the Turtle Farm with Stingray City. If you did that excursion, you may want to bring googles for the kids as they would be in the water with the stingrays.

Paula

Bring your camera! No goggles needed since there's no swimming there, but cameras or videocams are perfect. You will be able to hold some of the turtles and it's priceless to see the kids' faces.

They won't be in the water with the turtles, but will be able to touch them and hold them. The workers lift them out of the water and let the kids hold some of them. No googles needed. If you google the Cayman Turtle Farm, you can see photos.

Part of the description of RCCL Turtle Swim and Island tour is:

One can also enjoy the wild of the deep blue Caribbean Sea here in our own back yard at Boatswain's Lagoon. Swim and interact with the yearling turtles and then come nose to nose with sharks and other exotic fish as guests peer through the underwater viewing panel of the predator tank.

It says you can swim with the turtles. Did anyone actually swim with them?

There are different levels of tickets for the Turtle Farm.

The cheaper level just lets you into the touch tanks area, where you can look at and hold the turtles.

The more expensive level gives you access to the whole park, with the snorkel lagoon, the bird habitat, etc.

The park's website is here:

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/experience/cayman-street.cfm

I am assuming that they have snorkel gear to rent if you're doing the full park and don't bring your own.

• 3 weeks later...
There are different levels of tickets for the Turtle Farm.

The cheaper level just lets you into the touch tanks area, where you can look at and hold the turtles.

The more expensive level gives you access to the whole park, with the snorkel lagoon, the bird habitat, etc.

The park's website is here:

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/experience/cayman-street.cfm

I am assuming that they have snorkel gear to rent if you're doing the full park and don't bring your own.

thanks for the link!!

Thanks for the link Bookbabe. It looks like they have snorkel equipment for the lagoons.

May be a good idea to bring a cheap snorkel from Walmart, or some kind of wipe. If they give you used snorkels, I'd hate to depend on them to properly clean the mouth piece.

Archived