Itinerary change too - what to do?

JillK

After weeks of agonizing over whether or not to book the Jewel or the Dawn for next December, my hubby and I finally picked the Jewel's eastern caribbean itinerary and booked yesterday afternoon.

Now I see here on the boards a few posters mentioning that they have received notice that their itineraries for the Jewel and Epic were being switched.

Although I haven't received any notification, I did log into NCL.com and indeed, our eastern itinerary has been switched to the western swing.

I do really like the thought of doing Great Stirrup Cay as I know my girls (who will be 8 & 6 at time of sailing) LOVE the beach, but otherwise I find the itinerary less appealing as we just did Cozumel and Grand Cayman on a Disney cruise last year.

I guess my options are to just stay the course and find new things to do in these ports (hubby and I have already done these two ports three times) or to look again at the Dawn's western itinerary which does Belize and Roatan, two places we haven't yet been.

Any input from cruisers familiar with the ports would be appreciated. I don't think I can go wrong with either ship from what I can glean from reviews and recommendations on this board.

Many many thanks!!

Jill

After weeks of agonizing over whether or not to book the Jewel or the Dawn for next December, my hubby and I finally picked the Jewel's eastern caribbean itinerary and booked yesterday afternoon.

Now I see here on the boards a few posters mentioning that they have received notice that their itineraries for the Jewel and Epic were being switched.

Although I haven't received any notification, I did log into NCL.com and indeed, our eastern itinerary has been switched to the western swing.

I do really like the thought of doing Great Stirrup Cay as I know my girls (who will be 8 & 6 at time of sailing) LOVE the beach, but otherwise I find the itinerary less appealing as we just did Cozumel and Grand Cayman on a Disney cruise last year.

I guess my options are to just stay the course and find new things to do in these ports (hubby and I have already done these two ports three times) or to look again at the Dawn's western itinerary which does Belize and Roatan, two places we haven't yet been.

Any input from cruisers familiar with the ports would be appreciated. I don't think I can go wrong with either ship from what I can glean from reviews and recommendations on this board.

Many many thanks!!

Jill

Jill, The change is for 2012.

and 2013. I had the western Epic booked with a balcony and then saw the cheap deal of the eastern on the Jewel and loved the itinerary so i changed to Jewel's inside cabin $399... and i just got the email today and took the choice of the Epic's Eastern for no increase in price! Too bad Nassau is a port though, but other than that i'm glad to save $600+ and be on the Epic.

Yes, our Jewel cruise is for December 2012 so I know we are affected by the change although I have yet to receive any notification from NCL or via my travel agent (other than the itinerary change showing on my booking on NCL.com).

Cantwaitforoasis -- you were able to switch to the Epic at the same cost you paid for the Jewel? That's a real coup! I would definitely consider this option. We had only excluded the Epic due to the price difference. My only challenge would be that we've booked an obstructed oceanview on the Jewel and I know they have no comparable cabin on the Epic.

I guess I'll need to contact NCL directly to see if there's any kind of offer for us to switch to the Epic or back to the original dilema!

Thanks!

Yes, our Jewel cruise is for December 2012 so I know we are affected by the change although I have yet to receive any notification from NCL or via my travel agent (other than the itinerary change showing on my booking on NCL.com).

Cantwaitforoasis -- you were able to switch to the Epic at the same cost you paid for the Jewel? That's a real coup! I would definitely consider this option. We had only excluded the Epic due to the price difference. My only challenge would be that we've booked an obstructed oceanview on the Jewel and I know they have no comparable cabin on the Epic.

I guess I'll need to contact NCL directly to see if there's any kind of offer for us to switch to the Epic or back to the original dilema!

Thanks!

JillK wouldn't you be better to contact your TA since thats the one that should have notified you of the change. And see what they can offer you as an alternative for the same cost.

Che5904 - yes excellent advice. I emailed him a short while ago and he got back to me right away to advise that we indeed can switch to the Epic and into a balcony stateroom at no additional charge, other than any tax difference (which look comparable to what I paid for Jewel so might come out a wash). In pricing it, this would be a $900 savings for us had we booked the Epic.

Will take a day or two to have a hard look at both ships, the itineraries as well as NCL sponsored shore excursions and make a decision.

Really conflicted now - the Epic looks spectacular and is a destination onto itself but I have spent so much time falling in love with the Jewel that it's going to be hard to "break up" if that's the case.

If only I could cruise more often, I could solve this dilema!

Thanks for the wise words and opinions of all who have offered.

Jill

yes there was no price change to choose the Epic itineary instead of the Jewel. We got a mid ship location just like we had on the Jewel, inside cabin. I'm so happy to have saved the money b/c originally we had a Epic Western booked with a balcony but when i saw the Jewel's itineary and $399 inside price i switched. Good thing i did b/c now we are happy with the Epic, but not with the itineary as much, and saved a ton.

We have the same problem on the Jewel, we booked B2B2B hoping to do alternating itineraries, now it looks like all are western, but if we switched to Epic they'd all be eastern, maybe I should have booked Carnival Liberty again, my favorite ship that changes itineraries evey week.

Cantwaitforoasis - that's awesome! Glad to know you got mid-ship as well - that would be one of my concerns... we definitely prefer mid-ship as I really feel the motion for the first few days until I find my sea legs and that's what I have now on the Jewel. Enjoy your cruise!

Did NCL say anything about having to pay any difference in taxes/fees? My agent mentioned this but when I looked at the difference between the fees with the Jewel and Epic, it's about a buck a person?

Martinchem - if you're willing to disembark, why not keep one week on Jewel and do the western swing and then switch over to the Epic for the eastern? It'd be a bit of a pain but given that you can get on the Epic for the price of the Jewel (which was significantly less in my case), it might be worth taking advantage if possible?

Cantwaitforoasis - that's awesome! Glad to know you got mid-ship as well - that would be one of my concerns... we definitely prefer mid-ship as I really feel the motion for the first few days until I find my sea legs and that's what I have now on the Jewel. Enjoy your cruise!

Did NCL say anything about having to pay any difference in taxes/fees? My agent mentioned this but when I looked at the difference between the fees with the Jewel and Epic, it's about a buck a person?

Martinchem - if you're willing to disembark, why not keep one week on Jewel and do the western swing and then switch over to the Epic for the eastern? It'd be a bit of a pain but given that you can get on the Epic for the price of the Jewel (which was significantly less in my case), it might be worth taking advantage if possible?

The wife and I talked about it, only problem is the Epic goes out on saturdays and the Jewel on sundays, if they cruised on the same day it would work, we would like to check out the Epic. I really don't want to work in additional hotels or go through any extra trouble just to enjoy some vacation time.

Martinchem-- of course I neglected to take the dates into consideration!! Yeah that changes the flavour of a b2b if you have a hotel in between.

Well best of luck with your decision... Pls keep us posted on what you do in the end.

Jill

Just wanted to let those of you who have provided feedback know that hubby and I have switched from the Jewel western itinerary to the Epic eastern.

I know that we would have loved the Jewel but it was impossible not to take NCL up on their offer to switch us from our obstructed oceanview on Jewel to a balcony on Epic at the same base fare (we did have to pay the $1.33 per person taxes/fee difference).

My husband couldn't believe the offer and almost didn't believe it was real -- "why would they do that?" he asked!!

My answer - incredible customer service. I have to say that we are very very impressed with NCL and how they handled the change in itineraries. Thanks NCL!

Jill

Congratulations, Jill, on your change. I know what you mean about falling in love with a ship, but as far as I'm concerned, a cruise on the Epic is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! I'd do it just to see the Blue Man Group and Cirque d' Soleil! Have a great time.

Archived