Viewing the Stars

Leyden

This fall we'll have our first ever cruise -- on the Marina for the TA from Rome to Miami. Having never been on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic, I wonder how well one can view the stars from that vantage point. There won't be any light interference from nearby cities, but will the lights on the ship itself be a problem? Can I go to the top deck ( or elsewhere) to get a good star view? If I ask nicely, will the captain dim the lights so I can see the stars? Any thoughts?

Kathy

This fall we'll have our first ever cruise -- on the Marina for the TA from Rome to Miami. Having never been on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic, I wonder how well one can view the stars from that vantage point. There won't be any light interference from nearby cities, but will the lights on the ship itself be a problem? Can I go to the top deck ( or elsewhere) to get a good star view? If I ask nicely, will the captain dim the lights so I can see the stars? Any thoughts?

Kathy

Take the forward Elevators as high up as you can (Deck 15, where Horizons is), and then walk up one more flight to Deck 16 (where the putting green is).

The night lighting is very discreet up there, and it is the place where you will get the best view of the stars.

Take the forward Elevators as high up as you can (Deck 15, where Horizons is), and then walk up one more flight to Deck 16 (where the putting green is).

The night lighting is very discreet up there, and it is the place where you will get the best view of the stars.

Thank you for the response. It sounds perfect! We are looking forward to our cruise and this is another little fun thing to do.

I've taken two TAs on O and hoped for a lights-out but no such luck. Some cruise lines do do this and have an event to view the starry night. I can only imagine the view out in the Atlantic with deck lights out (in a secluded, controlled area of course.)

On Marina's maiden voyage we came pretty close or perhaps just humoured by the CD. Several days after requests were made we were told that it would not possible on that cruise due too many maiden voyage type things to attend to (and there was)

I am still hopeful and will try again on my next cruise. When on board ask your cruise director if this can be arranged. Have others on your Roll Call ask. Rinse & repeat.

A TA crossing on O is terrific and Marina is excellent. Lots of sea days to enjoy the ship. Even without a lights out I am sure you`ll have a great time.

I've taken two TAs on O and hoped for a lights-out but no such luck. Some cruise lines do do this and have an event to view the starry night. I can only imagine the view out in the Atlantic with deck lights out (in a secluded, controlled area of course.)

On Marina's maiden voyage we came pretty close or perhaps just humoured by the CD. Several days after requests were made we were told that it would not possible on that cruise due too many maiden voyage type things to attend to (and there was)

I am still hopeful and will try again on my next cruise. When on board ask your cruise director if this can be arranged. Have others on your Roll Call ask. Rinse & repeat.

A TA crossing on O is terrific and Marina is excellent. Lots of sea days to enjoy the ship. Even without a lights out I am sure you`ll have a great time.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will take this to the Roll Call group and will see if the cruise director is able to work out something. I would dearly love to see a good clear star view. I grew up in northern New York State and remember the beautiful night sky in that remote area. Now in the Washington DC, suburbs, we can hardly see any stars at all.

Archived