25th Anniversary Edition - Valor Review

Sevencruiser

After dinner we went up to check out Serenity Deck again. These are pictures from another time there. It was a nice space, and I really planned on using it, but we never made it there again. We are the type that like the shows, games and karaoke, and we never used the pools or hot tubs although we regret not taking the time to do that, because we enjoy that too. Next cruise.

DSCN2617.jpg

DSCN2610.jpg

DSCN2611.jpg

DSCN2616.jpg

Went back to the cabin to watch the sunset, and then went out for Super Star Live karaoke where you get to do karaoke, but with a live band. Amy really loves to do karaoke, and this was a lot of fun. I wish it was offered more often during the week, because it was the only time that we got around to doing this. Next was the welcome aboard show. If you’ve never been, I would suggest you see, it, but I think once you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all. Some dancing, the entertainment staff gets introduced, and the first comedians of the week give a short preview of their family friendly show. If you go see those shows you will hear some of the exact same jokes again when the comedians are on the next night.

Monday was Half Moon Cay. I had never been there before and based on what I had read on Cruise Critic I had really high expectations. We did not have any excursions planned or a cabana or anything like that, so we decided to eat in MDR before getting a tender sticker. By the time we went to Ivanhoe lounge there was a line just to get a sticker that wrapped all the way around the lobby back to the other side entrance of Ivanhoe. Then when we got inside the lounge there was an announcement on the screen that it may be another hour before our zone was called. I think this was the only time we had to wait in a line for anything all week. Not so bad really. I could not think of how they could have done any better, except to maybe have more tenders, or build a pier like at Grand Turk. HMC is a beautiful place, and I enjoyed having my toes in the sand. However, I grew up in South Florida, and I thought it really compared to some of the beaches I spent a lot of time on there. Nothing wrong with that, I wouldn’t have spent so much time on the beach if I didn’t enjoy it, but it was nothing new to me, and that’s where my comment about high expectations comes from. I guess maybe I expected something different, or better, but it was still very nice. I went up to the buffet twice to sample what they offered for lunch. I really enjoyed the Jerk Chicken. It was just right for a lazy day on a beach. We walked up and down the beach, and even stopped at a couple of cabanas where we stopped to talk to people we saw from our roll call. I would definitely rent a cabana next time. We didn’t want to have to wait in another long line to tender back to the ship so we left not long after lunch.

After dinner we spent the most of the rest of the night in Paris Hot doing karaoke. So I’ll stop here and mention the entertainment staff. In my opinion this was the best entertainment staff we have sailed with on five Carnival ships. Goose, Squishy, Olivia, Charlotte and Eversen, always made us feel special when we saw them around the ship. One of them even sent us an email before we even made it home. They seem like they really like doing their job and making sure everyone is having a fun vacation

When I woke up the next morning I was so disappointed to look out the window and barely be able to see St Thomas because of the rain. It did clear up enough for us to take the tour we planned. One of our roll call members suggested Sunny Liston Tours when I was replying that we really hadn’t planned what to do on this island but wanted to see the island instead of snorkeling or sailing. So she booked the private tour for her group and ended up inviting three other roll call members and their groups to join to fill up their tour. Thanks again Jennifer if youre reading this. We really had a good time, and appreciate that you made the arrangements ahead of time for us.

ESC00946.jpg

Our "roll call" Sonny Liston Tour

ESC00947.jpg

So in spite of the morning rain and clouds, the tour was fun. We had GieGie as a tour guide, and she took us on a fun tour with lots of singing and laughing up to Mountaintop, where we had Banana Daquiris “yum” and then to Drakes seat and a couple other panoramic spots. We were dropped off downtown for some shopping and or lunch for a couple hours. It was recommended to us to eat at Gladys’ and I’m glad we did. I had Jerk Tuna and Mango Beer. It was all very delicious, but service was slow, as a large crowd came in right after us, so lunch took up most of our time in town. I can’t imagine what it’s like when there are several ships in port on the same day, not to mention one of those mega ships. We were picked up and dropped off back by the ship to do some shopping at Havensight. The rest of the tour went on to the beach but Amy needed to go look for some new shoes since her strap broke the night before.

Loving your review!

I sailed on the Valor the week before you....I agree about the entertainment staff, they were wonderful!

I see you went up to Serenity Deck! This was my favorite place to spend time! Was "D" your waiter up there?? I thought he was GREAT!! One of the best bar servers I have ever encountered!

Loving your review!

I sailed on the Valor the week before you....I agree about the entertainment staff, they were wonderful!

I see you went up to Serenity Deck! This was my favorite place to spend time! Was "D" your waiter up there?? I thought he was GREAT!! One of the best bar servers I have ever encountered!

Thank you LizaMM, I wish I had spent more time on Serenity Deck. Maybe I would not have been so exhausted when we got home:)

Really loving your review!

Beautiful pictures, and that was a good point about the aft balcony with only the two of you. Can't wait to see more.

Thank you Nanaimobound, I've still got lot's more pictures to come. Just having trouble finding the time to do it, but i'll get there.

Great review Thanks so much for taking the time to do it! Our daughter gets married on the Valor Sept 4th, these reviews help pass the time and get me even more excited!

Thanks and you're welcome jjwelsh. I know what you mean about the reviews passing time. We were booked on the Valor for 11 months and I think I watched Cruise Critic almost every day for a new review.

We are looking forward to sailing on the Valor, much more excited now, Your reviews have been informative and fun to read! Send more pictures, and congrats on your 25th anniversary they seem to be few and far between.

We had intended to go to the MDR after boarding to check on our table assignment, but they had not put the table numbers on them yet, so we didn’t get to see our table until dinner time. We had early seating at 6:00. We were on the main floor of the Washington Dining Room in a booth for four right at the edge of the balcony overhang towards the aft, so we had a view of the aft windows and the main floor. Couldn’t have picked a better table myself if I had tried. Waiting at the table for us were Edy and Artha our waiter and his partner. Edy was very good at what he does. He told us he has been with Carnival 20 years and it showed.

Loving your review so far!

I wonder if Edy was the same Edy we had on a cruise YEARS ago! I have no idea which one, but he was one of the most efficient waiters we have had.

Also, thanks for your thoughts on the aft wrap. We are considering an Aft wrap for our 20th next fall, .. but I wonder if it will be wasted on just the two of us.

Looking forward to the rest!

Catrin

Archived