How Did Carnival Get My Private Gmail Address?

megmno

OK, this is weird. I am a happy Carnival customer. The email address which Carnival has for me is my business email. All correspondence regarding our upcoming cruise has been sent to that address. In addition, I've gotten several unsolicited emails on that account after I've been shopping for cruises. No problem, I just ignore them.

In addition, though, I have a new (4 or 5 month) old gmail account that I use just for friends and family. That account beeps my (Android) phone whenever an email is received. I have never given it out for commercial purposes, and never given it out to Carnival.

So today I got an email on the private gmail account. I noticed that emails on my regular account have my past guest number listed at the bottom, but this one didn't. Maybe the PG number is encoded in my computer's cookies and somehow Carnival is harvesting it along with my gmail information?

By the way, I'm not upset about this -- I still am a big Carnival fan. I just can't figure out how they got that address. I'm just going to mark it as spam and move on.

Bots send out mail to addresses all the time. The way to avoid it is to have numbers or special characters in your e-mail address.

Not.

I have numbers and special characters in my e-mail and still receive junk mail.

Maybe when you filled out your fun pass you put your private email instead?

Duh... you got it! I put it down in the Fun Pass section for contact information. I guess I was thinking that if we were enroute to the port and there was a change of schedule or something that I would want to be alerted on my phone.

As Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say on Saturday Night Live... "Never mind."

I see you found the answer to your question. But, I noticed that whenever I went on CCL website--I would receive a call and email from a PVP trying to sell me another cruise. Initially I ignored them, but then finally I emailed the PVP back to let them know I wouldn't be interested in booking anymore cruises until after I return from my one in October. At first I thought the calls/emails were random, but I finally figured out it only happened on days I visited the website and was within a couple of hours.:confused::confused:

if you have an account, they can tell when you've logged on, and probably what you've been looking at. They figure they'd cut to the chase and try to assist you. This happened to me with NCL.

Also, regarding emails: I work in database administration and we regularly hire a company who takes our entire database, and matches it to email addresses. I'm not sure how they do it, but it is possible that carnival sends out their database to get updated email addresses for their clients. Since email addresses change VERY often, this is a common practice.

Duh... you got it! I put it down in the Fun Pass section for contact information. I guess I was thinking that if we were enroute to the port and there was a change of schedule or something that I would want to be alerted on my phone.

As Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say on Saturday Night Live... "Never mind."

that was emily.

Archived