Caribbean Princess Balcony Question

Yvonne

In looking at photos of the Caribbean Princess it appears that the balconies are tiered. People from above can look into your balcony and you, in turn, can look at the one below you. Is this correct? If so, then the balconies aren't very private it seems. :(

In looking at photos of the Caribbean Princess it appears that the balconies are tiered. People from above can look into your balcony and you, in turn, can look at the one below you. Is this correct? If so, then the balconies aren't very private it seems. :(
Correct. That's a "feature" of the larger Princess ships. If you have a balcony on Caribe deck, it will be much larger and half-covered, half-uncovered. More private. On other decks, balconies are open and while they are covered, they are not completely private. The mini-suites on Emerald deck have fully covered balconies and are very private.

We had a minisuite on the Dolphin deck earlier this month and anyone above us could look down. If your balcony is on the Riviera, Aloha, or Baha deck, they are all inline with each other and look down onto Caribe and Dolphin.

Correct. That's a "feature" of the larger Princess ships. If you have a balcony on Caribe deck, it will be much larger and half-covered, half-uncovered. More private. On other decks, balconies are open and while they are covered, they are not completely private. The mini-suites on Emerald deck have fully covered balconies and are very private.

Thank you, Pam.

We have never cruised on a Princess ship before, but we're thinking about giving it a try, especially with the new smoking policy going into effect on Carnival where people can't smoke in cabins but can smoke on their balconies. I see with Princess you can't smoke in cabins or on the balcony and I think that would be wonderful! So, I'm looking at both the Caribbean Princess and Grand Princess going out of Ft. Lauderdale in January 2013. I wish they had ships going out of Port Canaveral as that is our favorite port. But we'll be going out of Ft. Lauderdale on our next cruise in January, so we'll see how that goes. :)

The no-smoking policy was definitely not in effect on our CB cruise this week and there was no admonishment in our cabin indicating such a policy. Stinky cigar smoke and stinky cigarette smoke were frequent visitors to our balcony and cabin when the door was ajar.

Balconies deck 10 + above are "hidden" - meaning, those on 9 & below are easily seen from balconies above.

The only balconies that really lack privacy are the mini suites on Dolphin deck (they are completely uncovered).

The Caribe deck standard balconies are half covered and half uncovered and you can always sit under the covered portion if you want privacy. The remaining decks, Emerald, Aloha, Baja, Riviera, and Lido are all covered and in line with each other.

The passengers on their Dolphin deck balcony or standing at the railing on their Caribe deck balcony could turn around and look up, but I very rarely see that happening. Most enjoy gazing out to sea or the day's port of call.

It all depends on where your balcony is located...ours was on the Riviera deck and it was quite private, no one could look down on our balcony since it was on one of the upper decks.
It's not just looking down. Anyone on Caribe or Dolphin deck can look UP and see into your balcony as the railing is see-thru. Granted, it's further to see up to Riviera deck but it's certainly possible.

We were on the CB in May and had one of the minis on the dolphin deck. Whenever we were out on the balcony I NEVER looked up or down. I did look sideways though - L0L

You know - it just never occurred to me to look "UP". Now that I think of it - I wonder if anyone saw me in my PJ's sitting there reading my kindle. I shouldve thought to put on lipstick L0L.....my final thought would be "who cares".

Some pics might help because I had same questions before sailing and I cancelled 2 mini suites on Dolphin for 3 connecting balconies on Aloha. I agree with Pam - the 6 end suites on Emerald deck with the covered balconies are most private but it looks like there are only 12 of them (6 on each side of ship)...

We were on aloha and here are some shots of just sitting on our balcony and what we could see and then standing at the balcony railing look down and to the side on an angle. Yes people were in their PJ's but we're all on vacation :)

Hopefully I can post these - never tried before...

395745313_reszdsideviewCBPtieredbalconies.jpg.83bcbbbb611ab133d8f1e5ab2b26bc5f.jpg

592509387_reszdbalconyalohadeck.jpg.150ff48aca5fa9286b842620029d1599.jpg

1040606200_reszdbalconyalohadecklookingdown.jpg.053377670e4fcee5a6df0e415feb434e.jpg

1177561112_reszdlookingdownfromalohatocaribeanddolphinbalconies.jpg.a106289a9d421ef32504863cff681d17.jpg

454125606_reszdanglefromalohatocaribeanddolphinbalconiesbelow.jpg.b0dadc2f6bc1f4d5e05073b027c17549.jpg

1436855842_reszdlookingdownonfullyexposeddolphinbalconyfromaloha.jpg.50d07f231206459e627788c0faf7a094.jpg

746661971_reszdlifeboatdeckEmerald6coveredbalconiesatend.jpg.b12bfde23f1678caaaf4f8174c73a61d.jpg

Some pics might help because I had same questions before sailing and I cancelled 2 mini suites on Dolphin for 3 connecting balconies on Aloha. I agree with Pam - the 6 end suites on Emerald deck with the covered balconies are most private but it looks like there are only 12 of them (6 on each side of ship)...

We were on aloha and here are some shots of just sitting on our balcony and what we could see and then standing at the balcony railing look down and to the side on an angle. Yes people were in their PJ's but we're all on vacation :)

Hopefully I can post these - never tried before...

Thanks so much for posting the pictures. If we do go on the Caribbean Princess I will make sure we get a balcony that's either covered fully, or one of the half-covered ones. I just wouldn't like knowing that someone from above could be looking down on us. Not that we'd be doing anything that would be embarrassing if seen, but, it would just bug me.

Archived