Is this safe? or Against policy?

If you were not sympathanizing with the guy you would not have taken the time to type out his life story as told to you by other family members.

To make sure I wasn't mis accusing you, I went back and reread your post. I could use a few shock faces myself. You are so sympatathic to this sorry excuse for a dad I am actually wondering why that would be.

THEN you go on about how well the children have been brought up. Yes ma'am, no ma'am. Clearly implying that while this poor excuse of a dad was a drunk lush requiring his eleven yr old to go look for him at night, he was doing an excellent job on raising his poor children.

Give me a break.

If I didn't make it clear I DO NOT APPROVE OF HIS BEHAVIOR!

I never said it was or wasn't her dad that raised her. Maybe it was their mother before she died or maybe the many family members. We will never know. I was just giving my opinion that they were polite kids.

How in the world does me giving details about the guy's life make me sympathetic to the guy? And what is wrong with someone having sympathy for someone that has a problem or has had a tough time?

If I didn't make it clear I DO NOT APPROVE OF HIS BEHAVIOR!

I never said it was or wasn't her dad that raised her. Maybe it was their mother before she died or maybe the many family members. We will never know. I was just giving my opinion that they were polite kids.

How in the world does me giving details about the guy's life make me sympathetic to the guy? And what is wrong with someone having sympathy for someone that has a problem or has had a tough time?

I also didn't hear you say this was happening every night... (chin up there, Ratt)

I read an article a last year, and before everyone flames me, no I dont remember the paper it was in, it stated that young kids are more likely to be killed in a car accident with their parents driving then they are to be abducted/kidnapped buy a stranger. So doesn't this mean that all the parents need to stop driving their kids everywhere if they want them to be safe? NO. As with every situation in life there are dangers, its just a matter of what ones we want to pay more attention to. Just because you want to make something sound more dangerous than something else, doesn't mean its accurate or based on statistics.

Like a precious poster said, parents need to spend more time teaching their kids how to react to situations rather than to be afraid of situations.

EVERYONE, and I do mean EVERYONE has a burden to bear (and some are bigger than others). Some more apparent than others. While we may disagree with their actions because of this does not mean that we can't be human and see that most people, despite their faults, are usually good people trying to make their way in this unkind (as can be attested to here) world.

The mother drove him to school in HIS car. Yes the son has a car. When he got his first job out of the city where he lived........his mother and father drove him to work......theis was just a couple months ago. He is 21 years old. He finally now gets to drive to work by himself.

He has been sheltered all his life. He is 21 and has the maturity of a 14 year old.......

but you didn't say it was HIS car in the first post...you said the mother drove him....which of course was not the complete situation...

If you had posted what you just posted above...then what you were trying to get at would have been clearer......

In your post you leave the door open to many questions...such as the one's I posed....

Clarity can be a good friend when posting on any message board

just because the kid appeared to be happy doesn't mean she wasn't scared. a lot of children of drunks put up a big front to protect the parents. they're also forced to grow up too fast because they have the responsibilities that the drunk can't carry out..

God only knows what goes on behind closed doors. looks are deceiving.

no kid deserves to live w/ a drunk, that's no way to live, no matter what the facade.

12 years old is plenty pod enough to babysit depending on the kid. I babysat at age 12 for my neighbor's 2 year old, but I would have never left my 12 year old in charge of a 2 year old. He does great taking care of himself but would not do well managing another, even if the toddler was sleeping. The last cruise we went on with him 3 years ago, we did leave him in the room alone. He was 11 at the time. He did not care for the Camp Carnival activities some nights, and he is not very adventurous. He bought a new video game before the trip that he was dying to play. So we let him stay in the cabin while we went to the adult comedy show. we came back and he was sleeping.

As many have stated, it was his vacation too, and he preferred to spend some late nights hanging out in the cabin watching cartoons and playing his game. There were other nights where he did the late night party. We would be in bed sleeping, and he would call to say he was ready to be signed out. Some nights we would be out later and some nights he would be. Everyone had a great time!

For the balcony question, we have only had a balcony once but even I had a hard time opening the door. If the 2 year old is in the crib sleeping, and the 12 year old has things he can do, I wouldn't even worry about the balcony. Just lock it an tell him no access.

Of course a 12 year old is old enough to babysit for a sleeping 2 year old in a balcony cabin. But, if somehow the 2 year old ends up "falling over the railing", it will not be Carnival's fault because a 12 year old and a 2 year old wouldn't be allowed to book such cabin...without an adult cabin mate. There is a reason why there are booking restrictions as such.

That's going to be Carnival's defense when the parents somehow put the blame for "whatever tragedy" happens on Carnival. All of a sudden it will be "Carnival did not have proper safeguards in place..etc....and because of Carnival my child died."

but you didn't say it was HIS car in the first post...you said the mother drove him....which of course was not the complete situation...

If you had posted what you just posted above...then what you were trying to get at would have been clearer......

In your post you leave the door open to many questions...such as the one's I posed....

Clarity can be a good friend when posting on any message board

MissDiva, some of us knew what you were saying, it's kind of obvious if you read our previous posts....

Ratt, I really don't understand what the big deal is. You are telling the story, it's not like you are the drunken guy that left the kid to fend for herself. Give this guy a break.

Of course a 12 year old is old enough to babysit for a sleeping 2 year old in a balcony cabin. But, if somehow the 2 year old ends up "falling over the railing", it will not be Carnival's fault because a 12 year old and a 2 year old wouldn't be allowed to book such cabin...without an adult cabin mate. There is a reason why there are booking restrictions as such.

That's going to be Carnival's defense when the parents somehow put the blame for "whatever tragedy" happens on Carnival. All of a sudden it will be "Carnival did not have proper safeguards in place..etc....and because of Carnival my child died."

i remember how adult i felt at 12, having my first cigarette, and sharing it with my 6 year old brother.

i remember how adult i felt at 12, having my first cigarette, and sharing it with my 6 year old brother.

I think I was 12 when I smoked my first cigarette. My friend's big sister gave it to me. I coughed and puked for an hour. Kids are going to do things and experiment eventually.

I think I was 12 when I smoked my first cigarette. My friend's big sister gave it to me. I coughed and puked for an hour. Kids are going to do things and experiment eventually.

Let's just hope its not in a cruise ship cabin, while babysitting their 2 year old sibling.

Let's just hope its not in a cruise ship cabin, while babysitting their 2 year old sibling.

It could possibly happen but it would be very unlikely. When I was 12 I knew not to sneak my mom's cigs and smoke because I would get caught. I would think if I was in a locked cabin on a cruise ship and did something, I would get caught. I'm not saying anything isn't possible, just that it is unlikely.

This is not directed at anyone...but just a general observation....

People are so concerned about "the dress code", the calypso band, the location of their cabin...etc....

Yet...so casual as to leave their most precious procession (their child) under the care of someone (young, weird, drunk etc)............just so they can "do their thing"!

99.9% of the time nothing bad happens...but is it worth the risk to be that .1%?

Hindsight....always 20/20

It could possibly happen but it would be very unlikely. When I was 12 I knew not to sneak my mom's cigs and smoke because I would get caught. I would think if I was in a locked cabin on a cruise ship and did something, I would get caught. I'm not saying anything isn't possible, just that it is unlikely.

you just go out on the balcony!

This is not directed at anyone...but just a general observation....

People are so concerned about "the dress code", the calypso band, the location of their cabin...etc....

Yet...so casual as to leave their most precious procession (their child) under the care of someone (young, weird, drunk etc)............just so they can "do their thing"!

99.9% of the time nothing bad happens...but is it worth the risk to be that .1%?

Hindsight....always 20/20

TabbyKats..you are using logic and reason...I have tried that here as well...but all it does is give them more ammunition to flame....

People like us know we are doing the right thing and don't need the advice of strangers...

People like us know we are doing the right thing and don't need the advice of strangers...

Absolutely - but it seems that many of you are certainly intent on giving your advice, even though you don't feel the need to take it.

Ultimately, every parent has to make the decisions that are right for their own children - regardless of what others may think about them (whether it's that they are being over-protective or too lenient).

That said, my parenting philosophy is that as a parent it's my job to not only protect my kids, but ultimately to prepare them for life as a responsible adult.

Speaking from personal experience, if you parents never trust you to be responsible for yourself or others (at any/every age), you will grow up to be exactly what they raised you to be - dependent or irresponsible.

As a mother I face a million "what ifs" every day - if I let them all affect me, my kids would remain in a plastic bubble all day. Would they be safe? Probably. Would they become well-adjusted responsible adults. Definitely not.

So absolutely make the decision that is right for your family, but think through whether the benefits outweigh the 'actual' risk, rather than the 'possible' or 'perceived' ones.

Absolutely - but it seems that many of you are certainly intent on giving your advice, even though you don't feel the need to take it.

Ultimately, every parent has to make the decisions that are right for their own children - regardless of what others may think about them (whether it's that they are being over-protective or too lenient).

That said, my parenting philosophy is that as a parent it's my job to not only protect my kids, but ultimately to prepare them for life as a responsible adult.

Speaking from personal experience, if you parents never trust you to be responsible for yourself or others (at any/every age), you will grow up to be exactly what they raised you to be - dependent or irresponsible.

As a mother I face a million "what ifs" every day - if I let them all affect me, my kids would remain in a plastic bubble all day. Would they be safe? Probably. Would they become well-adjusted responsible adults. Definitely not.

So absolutely make the decision that is right for your family, but think through whether the benefits outweigh the 'actual' risk, rather than the 'possible' or 'perceived' ones.

This is the best advice I've heard

BRAVO Best post of this thread....:D

Very well said!

TabbyKats..you are using logic and reason...I have tried that here as well...but all it does is give them more ammunition to flame....

So what makes yours logic and reason and everyone else is flaming. We just have to agree to disagree because I will never agree with you and you will never agree with me. This does not make either one of us bad parents - we all make our own choices for our own reasons and do not need either ones approval. But we should all be able give our opinions without having to defend ourselves or decisions. And if "people like us" don't need advice of strangers then don't take it. SORRY - JUST READ A COUPLE OF LAST POSTINGS AND IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED THERE AS IT STATED MY "OPINION" AS WELL

Ask John Walsh if he regrets that his wife left his son alone for 7 minutes....

There's logic and reason.........

But, hey....I know YOUR child is very mature!

So, did this statement make you feel like a big person and proud of yourself?

Archived