Zuiderdam ? - Who is Hunky Dory?

cruzingqueen

Hunky Dory is the best-known Lido Restaurant steward on the ship. Introduce yourselves the first day and he will remember your names (and sometimes where you're from and who you're traveling with) every time he sees you anywhere on the ship. Here he is with my DH...

47b4cc05b3127cceabb7ecd0ca310000001610

I keep seeing reference to "Hunky Dory"? What does this mean?

Oh my goodness...I just got the biggest grin on my face when I read this thread!! He is so sweet and funny...his real name is Imam, but he told me that his Granny was the one who gave him the nickname Hunky Dory, because he was always smiling and happy!!

He said "aloha" to me every day...(I always wore a flower in my hair) and he would would sing to me because my name is Melody.

Great picture Candy!

We met Hunky Dorey on the Zuiderdam and he is fantastic. He has had such great press on the boards and with HAL. Interestingly, we just cruised the Westerdam and the young man handing out trays in the Lido, ALSO was Hunky Dorey!!! ( can't recall his name) HMM, maybe all the HAL ships will have a Hunky Dorey! But Imam is the original and the best!

Sounds like a great guy, can't wait to meet him. Hope he's there on our sailing in Aug.:D

He is one of those wonderful people that makes HAL special. I found myself making special trips to the Lido just to see his smiling face.

The amazing thing is that he is so consistently friendly and outgoing, with absolutely no expectation of a tip for his efforts. He is what I think HAL was talking about in their pre-autotip days when they advertised that no tips were required ... "the only thing expected is your smile." Honky Dory will always make you smile ... and outright laugh.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Ok...I must confess. I do know Hunky Dory. He was a bit down a couple of days ago and I wanted to get some nice replies and comments from you to print and send to him. Just something to cheer him up. Oh...and if you're on a future Z cruise, he'll be working in the Pinnacle starting in 2 weeks so look for him there. You won't have a hard time finding him...just like everyone said here...he's the guy who is always smiling and laughing and making sure you are enjoying yourself.

Thank you ...and sorry for being a little sneaky. I had all good intentions though.

Imam is the first person we look for when we board. Is he moving to the Pinnacle exclusively? I know he was always in the Lido for breakfast and lunch, and I saw him as an asst. waiter in the Dining Room. Tell him Jim and Candy will see him again 5/14.

Candy <-- waiting for the upgrade fairy

Ok...I must confess. I do know Hunky Dory. He was a bit down a couple of days ago and I wanted to get some nice replies and comments from you to print and send to him. Just something to cheer him up. Oh...and if you're on a future Z cruise, he'll be working in the Pinnacle starting in 2 weeks so look for him there. You won't have a hard time finding him...just like everyone said here...he's the guy who is always smiling and laughing and making sure you are enjoying yourself.

Thank you ...and sorry for being a little sneaky. I had all good intentions though.

Tell him Jim & Debbie said Hi! We hope to see him again someday! He always made our day brighter with his greetings and smiles! We love you Iman "Hunky Dorey"!

This makes our decision to do the Pinnacle first night even better! What a way to start a cruise meeting someone like him. One of the most important parts of a cruise to me is meeting and learning something about the staff and their respective cultures. I know very little about Indonesia so I can't wait!

Whenever any of you see Hunky Dory in the Pinnacle, please relay congratulations on his promotion from John and Barb. We had the pleasure of not only meeting him on our last cruise on the Z in Nov 04 but also had him as our main dining room steward, along with our good friend Nyoman Suyansa (whom we requested when we got onboard). I suppose Hunky Dory will be replacing our friend Eko who was the first Indonesian to be allowed to work in the Pinnacle. We believe Eko and Nyoman are among the group leaving the ship on Sat. March 26th. We had heard that some of the stuffy non-indonesian waiters in the Pinnacle were less than happy with Eko "breaking the barrier" and I am sure they will not be pleased with someone with such a great personality such as Hunky Dory invading their territory. Good luck Hunky Dory...you'll look good in that white dinner jacket!! :D

When we were on the Z last year there was a long line in the Lido moving very slowly and there was Hunky Dory, smiling, and pointing at each one of us and saying our names! There must have been 10-12 people and then as the line moved, more people would add to the end of the line, and he'd say their names. Amazing. So friendly. Part of what makes HAL my first choice.

I just said to my DH (Cruisewacker23) yesterday, I bet cruzingqueen is trying to get alot of people to respond to the thread and she will print it off and send it along with the Joke Book she bought him....Good idea!!!! Are you using the Seattle address to mail this to him or does he have a better mailing address? I didn't know Hunky Dory had down days - that makes me sad:( .

Cheer Up Hunky Dory - we all love you! ;)

Tell Hunky Dory hello from Camille and Nick. And my sister (not mother :-) ) Charla. I happened to run into him one night outside the Vista dining room. He was meeting someone and telling them his name...when I recognized it from the boards. I told him he was famous and I had seen his picture on the internet. He really wants someone to print it for him.

Yes, he is magnificent. He remembers (almost) everyone's name. He is so sweet. He would not tell me his real name...but he was amazing. I also like Pipit...Head Steward. He is so sweet. HAL has great service. Loved it.

Tell Hunky Dory hello from Camille and Nick. And my sister (not mother :-) ) Charla. I happened to run into him one night outside the Vista dining room. He was meeting someone and telling them his name...when I recognized it from the boards. I told him he was famous and I had seen his picture on the internet. He really wants someone to print it for him.

Yes, he is magnificent. He remembers (almost) everyone's name. He is so sweet. He would not tell me his real name...but he was amazing. I also like Pipit...Head Steward. He is so sweet. HAL has great service. Loved it.

I'm printing this all for him and mailing it out tomorrow. Hopefully he will have it by Saturday when they arrive back in Ft. Lauderdale. I've got the address to Pier 26 there so he should get it soon. Hopefully it will brighten his day. There's someone on board now to that has a thread going so I'm hoping they will see this thread and tell him.

He emailed today that they aren't certain now if they will move him or not. I was trying to explain to him that not everyone is cut out for the pinnacle and that it was a compliment to him that they were asking him to go there. But, he is so good and such a hit where he is in the Lido too. Will keep you posted! Thanks for all the wonderful comments. It is exactly what I was hoping for! The Board comes through once more!

Let's hear it for more Indonesians in the Pinnacles. Both my wife and I enjoy the food and menu, but the stuffiness and cold approach by the (East?) European waitstaff puts a damper on the whole experience. And, we are not alone in this assessment,

Beau

Let's hear it for more Indonesians in the Pinnacles. Both my wife and I enjoy the food and menu' date=' but the stuffiness and cold approach by the (East?) European waitstaff puts a damper on the whole experience. And, we are not alone in this assessment,

Beau[/quote']

What you call stuffy and cold others think of as professional. Good food and good service are what I pay extra for in the Pinnacle, not an "experience." All I can think of when you say that is being outside the Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney a few years ago where people waiting for a table were summoned by a voice on the loudspeaker: "Jones family, please step up to the elephant to begin your dining experience!"

:) -dave

What you call stuffy and cold others think of as professional. Good food and good service are what I pay extra for in the Pinnacle, not an "experience."

Agree. While we love our dining room stewards, we do enjoy the 'continental atmosphere' in the Pinnacle with the European staff and I hope they don't change it. We have never found the Pinnacle staff to be unfriendly or cold, simply professional and most cordial when you initiate the conversation, which is how it should be in a fine dining establishment.

I love Hunky Dory! He was so wonderful when I met him in December that I tell all my customers to go find him a.s.a.p. when they get on the Zuiderdam! Hunky, hang in there, I'm sending 6 more to ya on the 9th and I'm sure they'll love ya too!!

What you call stuffy and cold others think of as professional. Good food and good service are what I pay extra for in the Pinnacle, not an "experience." All I can think of when you say that is being outside the Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney a few years ago where people waiting for a table were summoned by a voice on the loudspeaker: "Jones family, please step up to the elephant to begin your dining experience!"

I agree that I also expect better food and equally good service in the Pinnacle, both of which we have had every time. Simply because someone can carry a tray of food with thier nose straight up in the air at the same time doesn't make it "professional" or even good. I wouldn't expect everyone in the Pinnacle to break out in song singing "happy birthday" in Indonesian, however I do expect to be treated as a customer and with respect. If HAL decides to keep Honky Dory in the Lido rather than the Pinnacle, it should be because he is more of an asset as ambassador of HAL where he is, not because it is the belief of some is that "Continental" or "Fine Dining" is only possible with waiters of certain nationalities. Promotions and advancements should always be based on merit, not stereotype ideals. :(

Archived