Radio Stations Out At Sea

D-Roc

.....that Apple invented the iPod.

:)

wasiii

I was just wondering, as I have a mp3 player, but on my runs I like listening to the radio. Guess I will stick with my preload music then. Thanks

Can you get any reception of any stations while not in Port? What I am hoping to find is a station that has a play list similar to what is played on BOOM 97.3 (see link below)

http://www.boom973.com/

How can anyone answer your question without knowing where you are leaving from or going to?

BTW, does anyone listen to the radio anymore, when not in a car?:confused:

I know when travelling by car FM stations fade out around 50-60 miles from the transmitter. It may be a bit further at sea (without ground clutter) but still not enough distance to do any good for what you want.

Charlie

How can anyone answer your question without knowing where you are leaving from or going to?

BTW, does anyone listen to the radio anymore, when not in a car?:confused:

Yes many people listen to the radio.

Does it really matter where I will be in the middle of the ocean?

its a cruise!!!! does anyone listen to the radio? Try a ipod:rolleyes:

So, what is your point your? :rolleyes:

I was just wondering, as I have a mp3 player, but on my runs I like listening to the radio. Guess I will stick with my preload music then. Thanks

Don't listen to the radio 7 days before your cruise . Record those 7 days of radio and download them to the mp-3. Now you have 7 days of your radio station.;):D

I have a small Grundig AM / FM / shortwave radio that I sometimes bring with me. When out at sea (particulary at night), there are a bunch of stations that can be picked up. I find the shortwave stuff to be the most interesting. There is some truly strange stuff floating around on the airwaves. :eek:

I have a small Grundig AM / FM / shortwave radio that I sometimes bring with me. When out at sea (particulary at night), there are a bunch of stations that can be picked up. I find the shortwave stuff to be the most interesting. There is some truly strange stuff floating around on the airwaves. :eek:

I was into shortwave for a few years (SWL'er mid 1970's). I bought a new receiver for my son a couple of years ago (Grundig Satellit 800) but with all the stations (and everything else) you can easily find on the internet, the gift was not put to much use...

My QSL card collection is safely tucked away... just not sure whatever happened to my baseball card collection! ? ! :eek:

Tom

I brought my Creative Zen X-Fi (far superior to a Ipod in my opinion) and I also brought my Sirius Satellite Stiletto 2 portable satellite radio. I will warn ANYONE to NOT bring their Stiletto 2 portable satellite radio with you if you are going to be flying to port. ONE trip through the metal detectors/Xray at the airport KILLED my Satellite radio. It was dead, dead, dead. It went through the Xray machine another four times and that didn't do it any good either. Sirius's customer service sucks and it took me 4 weeks to get a replacement radio as mine as under warranty.

Please, do your self a favour and don't bring your satellite radio because one never knows if the Xray machine will kill it like it did mine....I admit, it could have been a defective unit, but I will never know......Other than that, I didn't find time to listen to much music I was so busy...I got an hour on Serenity deck and that was all in a seven day cruise.....yup, one hour of music listening onboard the ship!!!

Can you get any reception of any stations while not in Port? What I am hoping to find is a station that has a play list similar to what is played on BOOM 97.3 (see link below)

http://www.boom973.com/

Aye! Tis be called pirate radio!

...no, not really. Sorry. Bring an iPod? Or a Discman or Walkman if you're feeling retro?

I brought my Creative Zen X-Fi (far superior to a Ipod in my opinion) and I also brought my Sirius Satellite Stiletto 2 portable satellite radio. I will warn ANYONE to NOT bring their Stiletto 2 portable satellite radio with you if you are going to be flying to port. ONE trip through the metal detectors/Xray at the airport KILLED my Satellite radio. It was dead, dead, dead. It went through the Xray machine another four times and that didn't do it any good either. Sirius's customer service sucks and it took me 4 weeks to get a replacement radio as mine as under warranty.

Please, do your self a favour and don't bring your satellite radio because one never knows if the Xray machine will kill it like it did mine....I admit, it could have been a defective unit, but I will never know......Other than that, I didn't find time to listen to much music I was so busy...I got an hour on Serenity deck and that was all in a seven day cruise.....yup, one hour of music listening onboard the ship!!!

Don't suppose you've ever heard of that phenomenon known as 'checked baggage', have you..? Then again, you do own something by Creative...

I will warn ANYONE to NOT bring their Stiletto 2 portable satellite radio with you if you are going to be flying to port. ONE trip through the metal detectors/Xray at the airport KILLED my Satellite radio. It was dead, dead, dead. It went through the Xray machine another four times and that didn't do it any good either.

Sorry you had that problem with your Stiletto2. For what it's worth, I've been flying with mine for years, and it has been through countless airport x-ray machines. I've never had an issue with my Stiletto, and it's been irradiated so many times it probably glows in the dark. It sounds like you may just have had a defective unit. I can't think of a reason why an x-ray machine would have any effect on a Stiletto, since millions of cell phones also go through these machines with no ill effect. Of course, I'm not an engineer, so I won't pretend to be an expert about anything other than my personal experience.

jj

Archived