Pride out of Baltimore Jan/Feb weather?

tcwestfam

Thinking of going on the Pride out of Baltimore in Jan or Feb 2012. Just wondering how soon you will feel the warm weather? Will it take 2 days of the 7 day cruise to be able to swim or wear shorts? Want to go out of Baltimore to save airfare. We live in PA and could drive down there. Don't want to waste 2 days each way in cold weather? Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!

I remember a thread about someone missing their cruise out of Baltimore because they didnt get to the port 2 days ahead of a big snow blizzard and their street wasnt poughed on the day of the cruise. They were naive enough to think they might get a refund because they couldnt get out of their street onto ploughed highways.

Do be aware that driving in last minute is probably not a good idea.

Id say a day and a half to get to florida waters.

Its whatever mother nature has in store for you. What happened in the past don't mean its the future. We had the same kind of weather going out of Miami. So you never know in Jan/Feb. (LOL) We still think its the best time of year to cruise. Going to do it again in 2012

You'll hit the Gulf Stream off NC early on your first Fun Day at Sea. Water temperatures will suddenly warm from the 40s to around 70 degrees and the air will warm accordingly. The air temperature off the Carolina coasts will frequently be in the 60s or even low 70s that time of year, however if you are following a big nor'easter storm it will be much colder and very windy.

we really couldnt tell you what the weather will be like for your cruise.

We cruised in February 13, 2011 out of Baltimore- We arrived in Baltimore to 54 degrees. The weather was perfect the entire time

NOW if its real cold you should see if warming up sometimes on Monday.

But then again Florida can be having a cold front.

We took the train to Baltimore- took 1 hour 7 minutes.

To date the Pride is one of the best cruises we have been on.

Plus it was cheap- no added airfare helped .

Our balcony was 1477. for three of us- we had 6232

We went to the Bahamas a few years back and boy was it cold there.

I was on the Pride in January....it was pretty chilly, I wore my coat (traveling from Indiana, I didn't have to buy one).

People on the deck were wearing jackets, the upper decks above the Lido were closed off, due to the cold wind.

It took a couple days to warm up, and at the ports, people were wearing shorts and tank tops.

Melanie

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies. I know you really never can tell with weather but I just wanted to see what other's experiences were. Kind of figured it would be cold for at least 1 1/2 days down and then back. Only leaves about 3 "beach" days if we are lucky :)

Thanks so much. I think we might have to rethink this.

The midship pool deck will be opened. There is a retractable roof there and many people are in the hot tubs.

Most activities are planned for indoors on Sunday.

The three ports were extremely hot.

I was on the Pride sailing January 23, 2011. The weather was freezing out of Baltimore, and didn't get warm until we reach the second sea day. Temperature was warm enough to hit the beach once we got to Florida and the Bahamas, but we had rain in both Port Canaveral and Nassau.

This was posted here on CC after the storm, which they called a "snowmagedon" (9:15 a.m. EST) -- Carnival Pride arrived in Baltimore this morning as scheduled to disembark passengers -- who'll have to dig their cars out of massive snow piles after this weekend's blizzard. Maryland's Elkridge, just south of Baltimore, recorded the region's most snowfall, according to Bloomberg.com -- some 38.3 inches. As we reported yesterday, port workers have been on the clock since before the snow stopped to clear parking lots, walkways and piers.

Nothing says you're not on vacation anymore, than 38+" of snow :eek:

We took the Pride out of Baltimore March '10. While we had a great time, we would never to it again. It was cold (sweatshirt weather) for the first 2 days and the last 2 days. The 3 days in the middle were comfortable, but not warm. The only people in the pool ever were small children, the hot tubs were almost always full and the upper decks were closed almost the whole time. It was too cold to enjoy our balcony most days. That was in March. I would never book one earlier than May out of Baltimore again. But, like other posters have said, its up to Mother Nature and will differ every year. Good luck making your decision!

Thinking of going on the Pride out of Baltimore in Jan or Feb 2012. Just wondering how soon you will feel the warm weather? Will it take 2 days of the 7 day cruise to be able to swim or wear shorts? Want to go out of Baltimore to save airfare. We live in PA and could drive down there. Don't want to waste 2 days each way in cold weather? Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!

If you are taking the Pride to the Bahamas, potentially, you could spend your entire cruise without a truly warm day.

We sailed last winter and we started the cruise with 22 degrees, followed by 45 degrees, and it finally "warmed up" to 60 degrees when we arrived in Nassau. It was 30 degrees the day we got off the ship.

Needless to say, the waterslide was closed during the entire cruise, and the pool was only open 2-3 days (attended only by a handful of brave kids!).

I sailed out of Baltimore aboard Celebrity Mercury on January 29th of this year. Outside temperature was in the low 20s farenheit. I spent the sailaway on our aft balcony, and it was very cold out there.

That being said, Mercury had a covered pool so it was available and warm the next day. The outside temperatures began to warm late the first afternoon when we were off the North Carolina coast.

well I am thinking of going for Halloween, we live in Philadelphia so it super cheap for us, an in October and November its not that cold northeast its Jan, Feb and march that the weather is freezing. plus we will try anything once. Its a vacation time off of work I don't think you can ever go wrong.

well I am thinking of going for Halloween, we live in Philadelphia so it super cheap for us, an in October and November its not that cold northeast its Jan, Feb and march that the weather is freezing. plus we will try anything once. Its a vacation time off of work I don't think you can ever go wrong.

That's exactly right, you're on vacation! And you know that you can never tell in the fall. We sailed on the Pride last September 12 and it was a cold and rainy day when we left, we were wearing sweatshirts. This year we're leaving in early October and who knows, we could have a nice, warm, October.

We live in central NJ. I remember many years of trick or treating with the kids when they were sweating in their costumes because it was so warm. There's really no predicting what the weather can be in the fall, but I KNOW in January, February and March it's gonna be cold!

This was posted here on CC after the storm, which they called a "snowmagedon" (9:15 a.m. EST) -- Carnival Pride arrived in Baltimore this morning as scheduled to disembark passengers -- who'll have to dig their cars out of massive snow piles after this weekend's blizzard. Maryland's Elkridge, just south of Baltimore, recorded the region's most snowfall, according to Bloomberg.com -- some 38.3 inches. As we reported yesterday, port workers have been on the clock since before the snow stopped to clear parking lots, walkways and piers.

I actually was getting off the Pride that day. We actually didn't know how we were going to get home. Thankfully a friend of mine who was sailing had his parent's pick him up in a very large SUV. We were able to cram in.

We sailed the end of January 2010 and came back in the blizzard. The weather was cold but it was still fun. The major complaint is that the waves off the East Coast in the winter are extremely large. We had a very rough cruise and half of the people in our group were sick.

I've sailed on the Pride twice during the winter months. January of 2010 was COLD... even in Florida. Nassau was nice but definitely not a beach day and Freeport was cool and windy until late afternoon. It started to warm up as the ship was pulling out. Go figure. The winter of 2010 was not your typical winter though.

This past February the weather was perfect the entire time. By the second day at sea we were laying on the serenity deck and it only got warmer the further south we got.

You just can't predict what it's going to be.... you can only hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Regardless of the weather... we had an excellent time on both cruises.

We cruised on the Pride this past February and loved it! We left with snow on the ground, and by mid day Monday, we were in the Gulf Stream and wearing light sweatshirts. By Tuesday, we were in shorts and T-shirts. The kids were swimming on day one, due to the covered pool. All in all, once you get on the ship, it feels pretty tropical inside and you can wear your shorts/t-shirts...but you will need sweatshirts the first day and last day. We would do it again in February in a heartbeat!

Yes, we came back to Baltimore on this cruise what a shock to see all that snow even though we knew they got hit with a blizzard, very intetesting in getting out of Baltimore from that cruise..Thank goodness we had 4-wheel drive..Won't travel out of there again in winter time and will fly in early for any other cruises anywhere especially flying from Pa.

Archived