12 days till sail, and still no cabin assignment

WillieD13

We sail in 12 days, and as yet, still have no cabin assignment. I made this reservation back in Feb, and made a final payment in April. I even went into the Carnival site, as though I was going to make a new reservation, and it is showing only 4 (Oceanview) cabins left. I called Carnival, and was told that if they sell out those cabins, I would get an upgrade, but they couldn't be more specific about the upgrade. I am concerned about getting an "upgrade" to a balcony. I have no problem with a balcony, but I suspect it would be one with a restricted view, and I would NOT consider a balcony with a restricted view, an upgrade, not when I reserved a cabin with view. I mentioned this, and was told I may not find out what my cabin assignment is until I arrive at the dock, and I would have to wait and see. I won't call this a horror story, and I certainly would not let it ruin my vacation, but it will not be a point in their favor, and IS likely to engender criticism in future posts. It could even influence cruise line choices.

If it bothers you, then you should have booked a specific cabin so you would know what it is in advance and that you would not chance getting what you consider an undesirable cabin. It doesn't matter if YOU consider it an upgrade or not, by the definition, it is a higher category and therefore an upgrade.

That's what booking a guarantee cabin entails -- you agree to take any cabin, regardless of location that is in the same or higher category that Carnival decides to put you in. You save a few bucks but that's the trade-off.

At 8 days out only a couple of inside cabins were showing ..and I was like wow, I will surely get a upgrade because the lowest is on lido deck .. but that day the upsell fairy started calling, (my roll call posted they were getting offers).

I wound up with a 4B that was not even showing until 4 days out .. after the upgrade fairy sold the heck out of the cruise.

No one can tell you that you will get a upgrade .. let alone what it would be.

Let us know what you got though .. as we are always curious

I called Carnival, and was told that if they sell out those cabins, I would get an upgrade, but they couldn't be more specific about the upgrade.

Even if these 4 cabins sold out, it doesnt mean that there are not others moving around the ship, getting upgrades, etc. .. they could even be holding back some OVs.

If it bothers you, then you should have booked a specific cabin so you would know what it is in advance and that you would not chance getting what you consider an undesirable cabin. It doesn't matter if YOU consider it an upgrade or not, by the definition, it is a higher category and therefore an upgrade.

That's what booking a guarantee cabin entails -- you agree to take any cabin, regardless of location that is in the same or higher category that Carnival decides to put you in. You save a few bucks but that's the trade-off.

I attempted to reserve a cabin, but when I got to that page, it would not let me. I made the reservation late on a Sunday night, the prices had gone up once already, and I didn't want to risk waiting until Monday, and having them go up even more. I was tired and not thinking clearly. Dumb, I should have called Carnival direct, but live and learn. I do understand their thinking, they have my $ so if they have an empty Oceanview, they will stick me in it, whereas if they hold me in limbo, they can still try to sell either the Oceanview, or whatever is left that they can stick me into. I have to wonder how many others are in the same situation. What are the odds that the only empty cabin would be a wrap around :rolleyes:?

I dont understand? I booked by phone with Cranival and chose my room with them.

If u book on there website u cant choose ur room? What is a Gauranteed room?

There are some rates, like fun saver, or pack n go that are only gtys. I am surprised too that only the rates that had gtys were left and none of the rates that had cabins you can select.

A gty means you are ok with whatever cabin carnival selects for you. Carnival picks your cabin.

There are some rates, like fun saver, or pack n go that are only gtys. I am surprised too that only the rates that had gtys were left and none of the rates that had cabins you can select.

A gty means you are ok with whatever cabin carnival selects for you. Carnival picks your cabin.

ok, i get it.

Thanks

Glad you responded to this question - I wasn't aware there was such and option. I don't think I could take the gamble as I want to know where we are going to be.

Yes i have to agree with that, i would rather be able to choose my room.

I personally love gtys and used to only book them before the days of ES and all the rule changes.

Its like christmas to me. I am ok with most any cabin though.. but I love the chance of getting a free upgrade .. though booking a OV gty and hoping to get a 9C aft wrap.. thats a little bit of extra dreaming.

People used to mostly book them because of the chance of getting a free upgrade. Iv had excellent luck with gtys on RCL. I got a OV and then a PR with my last two inside gtys.. awesome upgrades to me. Not very lucky so far with Carnival who is much stingier with free upgrades.

I personally love gtys and used to only book them before the days of ES and all the rule changes.

Its like christmas to me. I am ok with most any cabin though.. but I love the chance of getting a free upgrade .. though booking a OV gty and hoping to get a 9C aft wrap.. thats a little bit of extra dreaming.

People used to mostly book them because of the chance of getting a free upgrade. Iv had excellent luck with gtys on RCL. I got a OV and then a PR with my last two inside gtys.. awesome upgrades to me. Not very lucky so far with Carnival who is much stingier with free upgrades.

....lol i like the xmas part:)

I dont know... maybe because its our first cruise. So im thinking the cabin is important.

But i understand ur point

My first cruise was an OV guarantee and it was a great mid-ship cabin on the Main deck. The second was an inside guarantee and got upgraded to an OV, also on the Main deck; however we didn't get the assignment until we got to the pier. So sometimes having to wait isn't all bad. Our most recent cruise on the Pride, we booked the PNG balcony and got an extended balcony on the Upper deck, forward. It wasn't too forward to feel a lot of movement though.

Knock on wood, out of three "guarantee" type bookings, we've had great luck with all of them. If the ability to choose the cabin is just a little more, I'd rather have the choice...but for a couple hundred dollars per person savings, I'll take the guarantee. But you definitely have to be willing to take what you get.

I personally would take an obstructed balcony over an OV anyday. In my experience, obstructed tends to mean that if you look down you will see life boats, but you still have a nice view of the sea (and can feel the breeze!)

I always guarantee a cabin because a balcony is important for me. I don't like taking a chance on a upgrade.

My experience with upgrades have been the same room type but on a higher floor. Very few corner balconies available. I personally don't like to be on the top floors because I don't want to have the dance floor, dinning room, or a walk away right above my room.

I always guarantee a cabin because a balcony is important for me. I don't like taking a chance on a upgrade.

A balcony guarantee means you do NOT choose the cabin. I think you meant you do not book guarantees, you pick your cabin?

I hope you get the cabin you want, but if you do end up with an obstructed view balcony (and you haven't had one before) you might not be too sad after all. I was upgraded from OV to obstructed balcony on my last cruise and loved it--true we couldn't look down and see the water, but we could still look out to sea and certainly enjoyed having a private outside area. Having been in an oceanview on my first cruise, I personally think the obstructed balcony view is way better. YMMV, of course.

OP-if you look at the rates for your sailing, the past guest and fun saver rates are exactly the same. If this is anywhere close to the price you booked, you could try calling and switching to the PG rate. With a past guest rate you can choose your room and you wouldn't chance an upgrade to a cabin category you wouldn't be pleased with.

was told I may not find out what my cabin assignment is until I arrive at the dock, and I would have to wait and see.
This could very well be the case with a "guarantee" cabin, and is standard operating procedure.

Want to know what cabin you'll be in? Book a specific cabin. Easy peasy.

Archived