Juneau on July 4 - Help!!

ACBinNC

We have booked a last minute cruise to Alaska which stops in Juneau on July 4. I talked to a lady at Rent-A-Wreck and she told me they were closed and basically the whole city shuts down. I checked the Juneau bus system and it is closed. Do you have any advice for what my family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children - 16, 12, and 9) can do that day?

What do you want to do? Taxis don't "shut down" I am sure. Hiking trails don't "shut down." As was stated, whale watching tours don't "shut down." There will be a parade in town to watch if interested, shops will certainly be open. I am sure the helicopter tours will operate and more. And I would be surprised if car rental firms at the airport shut down, though it can be a hassle getting there and back with a taxi that day.

Well, we thought about going to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center, but I just checked on their website and they are closed on federal holidays. I suppose that the trails would remain open, but I did not see anything about it on the website. I don't really know what we should do. We are going whale and wildlife watching in Sitka and on a floatplane excursion of the Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. We would like the helicopter with dogsledding or just helicopter, but it is just so expensive for five. I would appreciate any ideas of fun family activities.

Well, we thought about going to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center, but I just checked on their website and they are closed on federal holidays. I suppose that the trails would remain open, but I did not see anything about it on the website. I don't really know what we should do. We are going whale and wildlife watching in Sitka and on a floatplane excursion of the Misty Fjords in Ketchikan. We would like the helicopter with dogsledding or just helicopter, but it is just so expensive for five. I would appreciate any ideas of fun family activities.

There is plenty to do without going into the Visitor's Center. Great hike to the waterfall near the glacier.

It might be fun just to soak up the atmosphere of a smallish state capitol on Independence Day! The parade might be a more accessible event than we have here in our major city, therefore more interesting. The following link also mentions some sand sculptures in Douglas. I think that there's a pizza parlour in Douglas that's recommended, too, called The Island Pub.

Here's the link:

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/fourth_of_july_events.php

I think our family is considering renting bikes and biking to Douglas, or maybe doing the Gastineau fish hatchery (which is open on July 4th) or some hiking.

We have booked a last minute cruise to Alaska which stops in Juneau on July 4. I talked to a lady at Rent-A-Wreck and she told me they were closed and basically the whole city shuts down. I checked the Juneau bus system and it is closed. Do you have any advice for what my family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children - 16, 12, and 9) can do that day?

I was in the same dilemma 3 years ago, 4th of July in Juneau. I walked up to the parade route and waited. I have always enjoyed parades and Juneau's parade was WONDERFUL. I believe kids would really love it too! enjoy!:)

We were in Juneau on the 4th also a couple of years ago.

IIRC Rent a Wreck left the keys for us in the car.....

We picked up the car and drove over to the mine on the other side of the bridge?? (can't remember right now). Then came back to downtown and picked up coffee and watched the parade. Very fun.....Then, went on a self-guided walking tour (fodors, i think). We passed the governor's mansion where Sara Palin was putting her kids into the car. Next, we got back in the car and want to Mendenhall Glacier. Finally, stopped to pick up beer and wine, put the car back where we found it and ran back to the ship.

If I had to do it over again, I don't think I would change anything. We had already done a cruise from Valdez and saw lots of whales. So, we didn't feel like we missed anything by not going whale watching.

Our kids were 18 months, 7, and 10 at the time.

Let me know if you have any questions!

• 3 months later...
I was in the same dilemma 3 years ago, 4th of July in Juneau. I walked up to the parade route and waited. I have always enjoyed parades and Juneau's parade was WONDERFUL. I believe kids would really love it too! enjoy!:)

I echo this report - the Juneau parade was very different from what we are used to, and SO much fun to watch!

I'm jealous because we'll be in Sitka next year on the 4th, but their parade starts at 2 pm & the Westerdam leaves at 3!

Archived