New to Seabourn

bucket

Bucket,

Let me then try to respond to some of your questions.

1. I don't play Bridge but on the Odyssey world cruise there were instructors and everyone was always running off to play. I'm sure it will be the same on the Quest.

2. Entertainment is subjective. What one person calls good solid entertainment another might not like. Seabourn does not have large production shows like Crystal but the Quest should have a company of four singers who perform several different shows during the course of the cruise. In addition they will bring on guest performers and lecturers during each segment, singers, musicians, magicians etc. Personally, I couldn't care less about the entertainment as I usually don't finish dinner until half way through the shows.

3. There is no walking deck that wraps all the way around the ship but you can walk Deck 5 half way and turn to walk back the other half. It seems to satisfy most people.

4. Pianists are on contract as they are on all ships and some are better than others. There's usually a very good one playing in the observation lounge.

5. SB serves an excellent afternoon tea. No worries there other than trying to avoid calories.

6. No one can promise you a ship load of intelligent and social people. Passengers vary from cruise to cruise. But SB passengers are typically friendly and outgoing. Plus the smaller size makes it easier to meet each other.

7. The only thing more subjective than entertainment is food. First, you can look at as many menus as you like but they will not tell you the quality of the food. However, I can tell you that Seabourn's food is the best and most interesting I have ever had at sea. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Hope this helps. If not, there's always that search.

OK, suppose I take a one weeker on SB and during the cruise make a reservation for the WC. Do I get an onboard discount? Another discount for paying in full early? Any other discounts?

The onboard booking credit seems up for grabs right now, as per another thread.

However, if you are a Carnival stockholder (100 shares) you should be able to get an OBC pro-rated to length of your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218034&highlight=carnival+stock

And check the Seabourn referral thread (sticky second from the top) for discussion about a new cruiser bonus.

That should work, Bucket. You'd probably get the one week cruise free for what you'll save on the WC. I would just be sure and get it in writing from the sales consultant on board that you are entitled to the 5%.

Bucket,

I will give you a few examples of what makes Seabourn special. On one of our last cruises, my husband asked for sushi for lunch. It wasn't on the menu and my husband just thought he would ask. it was not available and the chef actually came out to apologize. Well the next time we were on board the ship for lunch, as soon as we sat down they brought my husband sushi! He didn't even ask! Same thig happened when my husband needed mouth wash. It wasn't available from housekeeping or the shop, but the the next day someone obviously went ashore and got it for him. It just appeared in our bathroom! Never had to ask, no charge, it was just there! Its the kind of service you can get used to!

Bucket,

Happy to help. I am concerned that since you like Crystal you may find the entertainment is more limited than what you are used to. Most people do not go on Seabourn for the entertainment( and I am not bad mouthing it -- just saying that with such small ships obviously it is more limited).In my experience Seabourn passengers tend to be people who entertain themselves or enjoy socializing with their fellow passengers and thus are less reliant on formal forms of entertainment to keep them occupied.Only you know what is important to you.

And back to your food questions -- you might refer to two threads I started a few years ago. In thread 259225( Nov. 22, 2005) I detailed all of the menu options each night in the dining room. And in Oct. 11, 2008 I wrote a review of A Med cruise( I wrote Eastern Med it was actually the Western Med -- at least I found my way to the dining room each night!)where I recounted the food and wine we consumed -- thread 858114. Hope these give you more insight.

Absolutely correct MarciAnn. The crew does make the cruise special. As a matter of fact, I believe the crew can make the difference between a great cruise and a poor one. I have read comments concerning surly crew and poor service but perhaps that is due to the ship expansion. I will be curious concerning the crew on the Qwest.

Lord of the seas, what is with the lounges on the "walk track"? Does one have to do an OJ Simpson run through the airport to complete a circle?

Deck nine is where the sky bar is located,it overlooks the pool deck (8)

You can walk laps but the deck also has sun loungers that guests can lie on.you can still walk by if the guest has not moved the lounger to block the path.

On a sea day they are obviously used more than a port day but you should have no problem walking early in the morning or after five in the afternoon.

The gym has machines that you can run or walk on also.

Archived