Vegan (not just vegetarian) options?

RjayB

My sis is taking her first cruise with us, but she is strict vegan (no eggs, cheese, or anything whatsoever from made from animals). Has anyone cruised on carnival with someone who was vegan? I'm sure the buffet will always have plenty of veggies, but what are the options in the MDR?

Not the same thing, but I have food allergies, and have experience with a special diet in the MDR. She'll need to contact Special Needs. They will note her reservation, and she'll pre-order the night before for the next night's meal. On the first night she'll have to talk to them, and they'll prepare something for her. When she checks in on the first night, someone will come to her table, and walk her through ordering.

Here's a blog I found about Vegan food on Carnival:

http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com/2010/11/vegan-breakfast-lunch-on-carnival.html

http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com/2010/11/vegan-dinner-on-carnival-cruise.html

Yes, I've done several cruises on Carnival eating a vegan diet. She will need to let special needs know ahead of time, and go see the Matire'd the first day and make sure she is in the system as special meals. This part usually works.

Next, each night on the cruise she will work with the dining room hostess for ordering or adapting menu items for the next day. This may or may not work so well. For instance, I've had waiters tell me french onion soup was okay if they leave the cheese off, but I know it is made with beef broth. The dining room hostess is typically very good, the waiters a bit hit or miss.

It helps to have ideas or suggestions on what she would like. Otherwise they are apt to want to serve pasta with red sauce and steamed veggies most nights. She will need to ask for tofu, nuts, beans, or lentil dishes for protein servings, as they may not provide much protein.

I find they do Indian dishes pretty well and can leave out any dairy some of them may have.

She may have to ask about items on the buffet. I saw red beans and rice once and took some at the buffet. Turns out it was cooked with chicken stock and I got sick... Now I know.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived