What the heck? Note: Electronic cigarettes are only allowed in smoking areas????

popsec

Saw this at bottom of FAQs on Carnival's website:

Note: Electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes are only allowed in the designated smoking areas

Is Carnival nuts? There's finally a way to appease the non-smokers with e-cig use and now the brass at Carnival want to relegate the e-cig users back to the smoking areas? I'm not sure how they dare make such a move as states haven't even banned them from non-smoking areas (although a few have tried).

Since I was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker who hasn't had a real cig in over 2 years I sure don't want to have to sit in a smoking section to use my e-cig

What are the policies on other cruise lines?

Carnival ships aren't US Flagged - why would it matter what states do?

So far I've only been on Carnival, NCL, Celebrity and Hal since e-cig use and no problem on any of them using the e-cig in non-smoking areas. Also quite a few of the crew wanted info on e-cigs so they could switch over from smoking to an e-cig.

My point about states not relegating e-cig use to smoking areas only was just meant to show that a few states had tried but gotten nowhere with that. It has nothing to do with where the ships are flagged but rather a common sense approach. I've never had a non smoker complain about the smell of the vapor emitted from my e-cig.

This is not intelligent on Carnival's part. Kind of like having an AA meeting in a bar. ;) As a vaper myself (30 years and a pack a day), I will take a 'stealth hit' when I need to, discreetly, and steer clear of the smoking area.

RCL also moved a few passengers with e-cigs to the smoking side. told them that this side was non-smoking. i dont smoke, but my friend has one of the electronic cigs...and even when he blows it out i can smell it a bit. doesnt bother me much. i just wouldnt want hundreds of people around me with them.

It doesn't surprise me. A lot of new smoking policies are throwing e-cigs into the same boat of rules. I know a lot of people who assumed e-cigs could be used in-flight, but in my experience I haven't found an airline that allows it.

This is not intelligent on Carnival's part. Kind of like having an AA meeting in a bar. ;) As a vaper myself (30 years and a pack a day), I will take a 'stealth hit' when I need to, discreetly, and steer clear of the smoking area.

But there's no reason we should have to "sneak" drags on our e-cig. According to John Heald's reply to me in April, "e cigs will be fine everywhere outside and for now everywhere inside except the dining rooms. Cheers and have a great time."

BTW, I'll be getting off the Legend in Sept so you can be boarding ;)

But there's no reason we should have to "sneak" drags on our e-cig. According to John Heald's reply to me in April, "e cigs will be fine everywhere outside and for now everywhere inside except the dining rooms. Cheers and have a great time."

BTW, I'll be getting off the Legend in Sept so you can be boarding ;)

Hey, be sure and wave to me when you are getting off...I'll be the one standing in line with the goofy smile! :D

Agreed on what John said in April (I follow him on FB). I just wish they would decide, definitely, one way or another. I booked our cruise partly based on the fact that e cigs were acceptable as per John's posts.

Hey, be sure and wave to me when you are getting off...I'll be the one standing in line with the goofy smile! :D

Agreed on what John said in April (I follow him on FB). I just wish they would decide, definitely, one way or another. I booked our cruise partly based on the fact that e cigs were acceptable as per John's posts.

And I'll be the one getting off and looking incredibly sad :(

We've got 3 Carnival cruises booked from now til the end of the year and the Aug one will be my "milestone" cruise BUT if Carnival sticks to this crazy policy we may look into other cruise or vacation options for the future....

I'm not a smoker, and even I think that's dumb on Carnivals part.

I am with you on this one. I think that it is dumb. I work with a guy who sits at work with an E-cig..I have TRIED to smell it because it is something different to me..and I can't even smell it. I don't see what the big deal is.

i CAN ONLY HOPE THEY DO NOT ENFORCE OR STICK WITH THIS AS i TOO HAVE COMPLETELY QUIT SMOKING ANALOGS VIA THE "E CIG" OOOPs sorry for the all caps, I think they need to market it differently and call it say an "inhaler" I think people have gotten on their high horse about smoking and want to lump these things in with them and that is a tragedy and completely unfair as the only thing in common is nicotine, no smoke, no fire, no smell etc. the steam that comes out is no worse then the steam from a hot cup of coffee both would have trace amounts of either caffeine or nicotine.

This is the one thing about the new policies that would make me switch lines or find another vacation route, as much as I hate to say it.

I have been smoke free completely for 4 months now.

I have convinced my (few) friends who smoke to try these and they do NOT bother us non smokers...so yes I think they should be allowed most places on the ship...I sure would rather them than real cigarettes

They also do not have the "dangers" of real cigarettes regarding fire (something I always worry about)

Seems SILLY to not allow these most places....in fact I think Carnival should sell them onboard...Ryan Air (Ireland) does I have read....Carnival is always looking to make more $$$...so why not sell e-cigs on board and keep everyone happy???

Unless you're a scientist who had studied these things, let's not pretend that you know the effects of them (both short-term and long-term, either for the user or those around them). This quote is directly from the FDA website:

Because these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, at this time the agency has no way of knowing, except for the limited testing it has performed, the levels of nicotine or the amounts or kinds of other chemicals that the various brands of these products deliver to the user.

The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. These tests indicate that these products contained detectable levels of known carcinogens and toxic chemicals to which users could potentially be exposed.

I've been around e-cigarettes and never noticed a smell of any kind, although there is a definite vapor given off. Is this vapor harmful? I have no idea. They don't bother me personally, but I'm not running a cruise ship and trying to keep 2,500 people safe and happy.

For those that are using the e-cig, can you tell me which one you use and where you got it from? I have seen so many websites now that sell them, but don't know which ones are ligitamate. My husband and & I both want to quit and use them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think Carnival did this because there are a few, very vocal and rabid nonsmokers (I am a nonsmoker btw) who will fall over in fits and claim an asthma attack and perhaps on the spot lung cancer if they see a wisp of vapor coming from anyones mouth.

I love that these same people live in cities with smog, and drive cars, eat charred food, eat processed food, all which have been connected to some kind of cancer.

It's a stupid rule but I think it's to appease the rabid.

Cheers, Carole

I think Carnival did this because there are a few, very vocal and rabid nonsmokers (I am a nonsmoker btw) who will fall over in fits and claim an asthma attack and perhaps on the spot lung cancer if they see a wisp of vapor coming from anyones mouth.

I think you're right, and you gave a great visual there! :D

I love that these same people live in cities with smog, and drive cars, eat charred food, eat processed food, all which have been connected to some kind of cancer.

It's a stupid rule but I think it's to appease the rabid.

Cheers, Carole

Unfair and nasty attack on non smokers...

FYI : I never claim that being around smoke will give me cancer, I rarely have to be around smokers at all....

Real cigs stink....ugh....and yes I also do worry about fires. Sometimes when I see a drinking, smoking person stumbling around on a ship that is what I think about...."Oh I hope they don't smoke in bed, eeek"

and IF you read this thread you would realize most non smokers don't care about ecigs...we can't smell them...they don't stink....they don't make our eyes water....so we don't care. I have not seen many non smokers carp about e-cigs. You assume too much

I don't understand how (enabling) spouses can stand to kiss those ashtray mouths....sad to see how they have to kowtow to the smoker in the family

OP: Please ask John Heald to confirm where they are/aren't allowed. I also remember reading his statement, and I think there is a *disconnect* between him and the beards.

I posted again on John's facebook page and he's supposed to get back to us about their use on the ships

After much research (and I still prefer a regular, lit cigarette) - I went with BLU. Google them. 2nd best reviews and reasonably priced. I like it just fine! You cannot smell it at all. Even my husband who is a non smoker is amazed. Good Luck.

Actually the Blu is a not very good model....I know several people who got the Blu and aren't happy with it.

I prefer the Joye 510-T or Joye eGo-T model (e-cigarette forum users rate the 510 and eGo really high). I use a Vermont made e-liquid in mine....just be sure you don't get the Chinese e-liquid....it's pretty nasty!

Archived