Hotel help please

dorisg55

My DH and I are going to Alaska June 2012. We are doing a land tour on our own and then meeting our dd and her bf. I am looking for a hotel that is close to the train and downtown. We will be staying 1 night on each end of our Denali trip. Also is there a place to drop off our luggage in Anchorage before we head to the ship?

Thanks,

Doris

My DH and I are going to Alaska June 2012. We are doing a land tour on our own and then meeting our dd and her bf. I am looking for a hotel that is close to the train and downtown. We will be staying 1 night on each end of our Denali trip. Also is there a place to drop off our luggage in Anchorage before we head to the ship?

Thanks,

Doris

Hello Doris- I'm assuming you are referring to Anchorage for your hotel? There is a wide range of lodging, I stay cheap, which isn't for everyone. :) What are your requirements and price range??

Not sure about your luggage "drop off" question? Your luggage would be going with you to the ship, and it would be checked depending how you transfer. A consideration I highly recommend is to take the Alaska RR- the luggage will be checked. Then depending on where you are going Whittier has excellent glacier boat tours of Prince William Sound, and Seward - excellent boat tours of Kenai Fjords. Neither of these should be "missed" in my opinion, and make excellent use of your "Alaska" time and sightseeing opportunities. Don't be in a rush to get on a ship. :)

The Comfort Inn on Ship's Creek is nearly next to the Alaska Railroad Station and offers a decent room and breakfast. There is a big climb up to downtown if that is important to you.

BudgetQueen knows her way around Anchorage and knows where it is safe to 'stay cheap'. You need to be wise.

Yes Budget Queen, it is Anchorage. We want something that is reasonable and clean. We don't plan on spending too much time in the room, to much to see and do. I was looking into the glacier cruises out of Whittier but my dh is affraid we'll miss the ship. I was looking into touring Anchorage and then taking the 3 hour tour with Alaska Criuse Transfers and tours to the ship. I would rather the glacier cruise but not worth having him stressed out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Comfort Inn on Ship's Creek is nearly next to the Alaska Railroad Station and offers a decent room and breakfast. There is a big climb up to downtown if that is important to you.

I have stayed there in the past and I think it meets your requirements. Ship Creek is behind the hotel and you can see fishermen (and women) there, in the evening, trying to pull in some salmon.

Yes Budget Queen, it is Anchorage. We want something that is reasonable and clean. We don't plan on spending too much time in the room, to much to see and do. I was looking into the glacier cruises out of Whittier but my dh is affraid we'll miss the ship. I was looking into touring Anchorage and then taking the 3 hour tour with Alaska Criuse Transfers and tours to the ship. I would rather the glacier cruise but not worth having him stressed out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The boat tours are designed (in Whittier) to coordinate with the ship's schedule. You won't miss the boat. If in doubt, telephone the company that runs the tours you are interested in and talk it over.

Archived