Snorkle Central - The straight poop

MinnesotaMan

I know that there is much info on this forum about snorkling excursions both at the Costa Maya Pier and in Marahual. I'm trying to create a central location for the data here and separating it from Scuba info.

I have read that the standard excursions by boat are $20 per person in the AM and drop to $15 in the afternoon and last 1 1/2 hours. I don't know if the options at the pier are better, or more expensive, than the options in the villiage. I would like to know. Nitrogenadddit says that there are two options at the pier and they seem to be the same price.

I also read somewhere about a 3 1/2 hour option but can't locate any info on that. If anyone knows, please help. I've tried searching this page as well as the snokle/scuba forum, but there are just too many threads.

I was there in January and booked a snorkle tour for $15 for 2 and 1/2 hours in Majuhual. Morning was $20.00. Go to the booth on the Mahahual beach that said snorkle tours, close where the taxi vans let you off. It was $20 for the 10 oclock tour and 15$ for the 12 oclock tour. It was well worth it. Boat of 16 people in which was guided. Some of the people on the tour were from the cruise ship tour in which they paid much more. It was a 25 person boat that took about 20 minutes to get to the snorkle site. Most (99%) of the places in town don't have a web site because it is quite primitive in this area. No telephones, ATM machines or charge cards usuage.

We booked in advance, at costamayaexcursions. It was $5pp deposit via CC. $20pp balance paid in cash upon arrival.

But one of the four couples on our trip simply walked up and paid at the CostaMaya complex. Their booth is near the fountain as you walk in.

Very professional staff from the Costa Maya Pier complex, all the way to the dive guide. The water was abit rough, but still quite enjoyable. We started with only SIX people on board, very roomy and private. A fourth couple joined later by small boat, they bought the excursion at the last minute from the pier.

Shallow reef with good visibility, nice variety of fish, scuddle fish, lobster, big puffer, squid, plenty of angels and butterflys. Bernado guided us to each of the better spots.

Don't walk on the reef.

Please respect our reef here in Mahahual. This area has one of the most pristine reefs on the mexican coast of the Caribbean. The reason for this is that we have not had tourists (who are ignorant or do not care about reefs), here until recently. A piece of coral standing 3inches(15cm) high has taken maybe 20 to 30 years to get that high. All it takes is a careless kick of the foot or a step to kill it. On the other side of the coin, a coral cut to the flesh takes a great deal time of to heal. The reason for this, is the bacteria surrounding and on the coral causes a bad infection to the human body. What we ask is please be free to observe the reef but do not touch it or break off pieces of coral. The other reason is we do have, what is called fire coral out there that can cause a nasty burn. It looks like an innocent and touchable piece of coral. The rule should be what you do not understand do not touch. This wil keep our reef intact for many years to come. Please HELP us preserve one of the few reamaining healthy reefs on the Mexican Caribbean coast.

My family and I went snorkeling from Mahahual through Mayawal Tours. It was $20 each which included all equipment. However, some in our boat paid the same for the tour in Costa Maya and took the boat from there. The boat picked us up from Mahahual and then we took a very short ride to a reef. Actually, the reef goes out about 200 yards from shore, so I believe that you could probably see a lot if you went from shore.

There is good snorkeling in costa maya, you can hire at the pier, and it will cost you about 5-10 usd per person more than intown...there is a boat at the pier you can ask for scott of "los dorados de mahahual"...if you hire in town it'll cost you about 20usd per person gear and sodas included...this way you save the 5-10usd of commision for the pier...ex:six people on a snorkeling tour for 140usd gear and sodas included it is a charter and you will have the boat for yourself.

This is a tour with the local fisherman's cooperative, they know all the good spots. we can contact them for you directly from our restaurant .the tapas bar ..

Just to add...Blue Ha does do snorkeling. I emailed Tanya and she got right back to me. $25 per person for 1.5 hrs and they take you to two snorkle spots along the reef. That also include water and juice. If I remember correctly, they have tours that go out at 9, 11, 1 and 3pm and take a maximum of 6 persons per boat. Sounds pretty good to me. Give Tanya at Blue Ha a shout dreamtimetanya@hotmail.com.

If you are going to snorkel in the town I would recommend taking one of the tours rather than going from the beach as there is a lot of boat traffic in the area. You can book with Mayawal Tours or Lets go Snorkelling. Both operators do not work through the ships and have booths at the pier. The normal price is 20 USD per head. With ten of you you should be able to organise a discount on that. Maybe 5 USD a head less.

Hey Joe,

Like I said in the first post, I'm trying to get all the info on snorkling at Costa Maya centralized. I went through a bunch of threads and pulled out what I found. I'm sure there is more there so please add whatever you can. I'm new to the board and cruising and I'm just trying to get the info so that I (and others) can get the straight story.

Sheesh, I thought I was doing a service!

• 2 weeks later...

You are doing a service! Thank you for helping pull the info together. My husband and I are wanting to go snorkeling when we are in Costa Maya in two weeks and we were looking to see how much it was. Because of how late our ship gets there it's been hard finding the right info. Thank you!! ;)

Sheesh, I thought I was doing a service!

Hola Minn,

Just a note to say, " You are doing a service." I'm headed to Costa Maya next January and have been trying to decide where to snorkel. Keep up the good work. I appreciate it.

Clackey

I'm still very confused about this port. Is there a map out there somewhere? What is the differece in the pier and in town? Is it like cozumel where the pier is right there with a short taxi ride to town or beaches? Or, is it like Calica where one has to take a taxi or bus to wherever one wants to go after crossing the gravel conveyer belt? I know.... could I ask anymore questions? He! He!

Orangegirl,

You will dock at a very long pier. At the end of it is a little tourist village, a pool, a few bars/shops/restaurants, etc. There is little or no beach here. If you want beach, you must travel to Mahajul, the little fishing village near there. Stand in line to get a ticket to take a taxi.... stand in line for taxi. $5 round trip per person. In Mahajul, there are little bars/restaurants/shops and the beach. Very laid back town. Massages on the beach. Some bars have all you can drink specials.

HTH

June

Check out this link. You can use the directional arrows to scan the coast for aerial views. This opens to the village of Mahajual. If you use the arrows to scan about 5 maps to the right (north) you can get a view of the Costa Maya pier even though it is also labeled Mahahual. http://www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/P1010118a-t.html

In adddition, I found this map of the local area thanks to Ivan and David's Mayan Ruins tour company http://www.chacchobenruins.com/uploads/Maja.GIF

• 2 weeks later...

So really it seems to me, if you're only interested in snorkeling and not in seeing the town, just take one of the tours from the cruise ship pier. May cost $5 more, but you will pay that on taxi fare to get into town to get the $5 discount! (not to mention the trip back to the pier). Correct me if I'm wrong...

Sounds like a reasonable conclusion to me. I'm not even sure that there is a $5 difference in reality. I've heard different things from different people. It may change depending on how busy the excursions are and how willing to deal the vendors are. I would say that the one sure fact is that it is a lot cheaper to book yourself than booking through the cruiseline.

Archived