22 month old - Pack n Play / Sofa bed / Pullman

mickeyd

We are planning to take B2B cruises in October 2012 on Freedom of the Seas with our daughter, who will by then be 22 months old.

Originally, we were looking at getting an E1 Balcony cabin and requesting a Pack n Play. However, the Royal Caribbean website says that Pack N Plays are suitable for children up to 24 inches tall. Our daughter is already more than 24 inches tall, and she is only 6 months.

Coming from Australia I am not really familure with Pack N Plays and I'm not sure if it would be suitable for an almost 2 year old. Any advice would be welcome.

If the Pack N Play is a no go - would you suggest that we get an E1 with an pullman bed? - I could sleep in the pullman and my wife and daughter could sleep in the twin bed. Or would it be better to go for a cabin with a fold out sofa. I'm assuming the sofa bed would take up more room.

We have cruised a number of times, but never with a little person, so I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions from your experience.

We are planning to take B2B cruises in October 2012 on Freedom of the Seas with our daughter, who will by then be 22 months old.

Originally, we were looking at getting an E1 Balcony cabin and requesting a Pack n Play. However, the Royal Caribbean website says that Pack N Plays are suitable for children up to 24 inches tall. Our daughter is already more than 24 inches tall, and she is only 6 months.

Coming from Australia I am not really familure with Pack N Plays and I'm not sure if it would be suitable for an almost 2 year old. Any advice would be welcome.

If the Pack N Play is a no go - would you suggest that we get an E1 with an pullman bed? - I could sleep in the pullman and my wife and daughter could sleep in the twin bed. Or would it be better to go for a cabin with a fold out sofa. I'm assuming the sofa bed would take up more room.

We have cruised a number of times, but never with a little person, so I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions from your experience.

I have put a small child in the sofa bed and it works out just fine. It is not really a big bed and does not take up much room when open. You can even have your cabin attendant leave it open all the time for naps.....that's what we did.

I haven't cruised with my kids (yet), so take what I say with a grain of salt. We've used Pack N Plays with both our kids, up until about age 2 or so, and neither of them had any trouble fitting inside. They're roomier than you might think -- not much smaller than a standard crib.

If you're comfortable sleeping up top in a bunk bed, I think you'd do OK in a pullman. I wouldn't put a toddler up there, as I'd be afraid she'd fall out. (Not sure if that's a valid concern, as I've never used one; it's just my particular fear.) As you may know, the lower beds can be separated into two single beds, which for me at least, would be more comfortable than having them together as a queen, and sharing it with a squirmy toddler.

The sofa bed would be a good option. If you don't want to deploy it, just have the stateroom attendant turn it around, so it's facing the wall. Voila: instant bed with walls on all sides, so the little one can't fall out.

Have a great cruise!

You could certainly use the sofa bed, but could also request a pack 'n play to see if it will work. My son is 28 inches tall (at 6 months) and uses a pack 'n play all of the time. We have regularly used them for other family members kids until 2+.

It's a ways off from now, but we will be cruising on Freedom of the Seas in December. I will do my best to remember to take pictures of the pack 'n plays that they have along with measurements to give an idea.

I would get a cabin with a soda bed and put the child there. The adults will get the "good" bed. Kids can and will sleep anywhere...put her on the sofa. Some won't even open it into a bed, but will turn it around facing the wall, so the child won't fall out.

I would get a cabin with a soda bed and put the child there. The adults will get the "good" bed. Kids can and will sleep anywhere...put her on the sofa. Some won't even open it into a bed, but will turn it around facing the wall, so the child won't fall out.

If you book a cabin with a sofa that does not open up into a bed then they will allow you to book only 2 passengers into that cabin. You cannot book a cabin for 2 if you have 3 people. Getting a cabin specifically with a sofa bed would be necessary.

24 inches?? That has got to be wrong. My 17 mo son uses a pack n play just fine and he is probably 31 inches by now.

It sounds a bit ridiculous. I figured maybe it is a height thing so they can't climb out?

We put our 2 year old DD on the sofa bed that was made up to be a bed. We then used the extra cushions from the back of the sofa and the room's little table to make a "pen/bed rail" so she couldn't fall out. Worked great for us and her.

We have taken our DD on 2 cruises with us, first when she was 11 months, 2nd when she was 23 months. The first time she slept in a pack n play provided by the ship, and it was a tight fit for her. They are the smaller size pack n plays (on X at least). This past time, we made a bed up for her on the sofa (non pull out) and she did just fine, even though she was in a crib at home still. We put the cushions from the sofa back on the floor in case she rolled off, but she slept wonderfully the whole week! So much so that when we got home we decided to move her to a twin bed just 3 months later ;) from all the saying she wanted a big girl bed like on the cruise ship.

Archived