QVC - Bare Escentuals 3/23

Jane110

Hi all,

I saw that QVC is going to have one of their BE sales pitch shows and thought that some of you might be interested in seeing it.

The air times are all on Wed. March 23rd at:

6:00AM - 7:00AM Eastern Standard Time

10:00AM - 12:00 noon EST

4:00PM - 6:00PM EST

I can't imagine the torture of watching this for an hour or two, LOL!, (nor will I be available at those times). But I'm going to TiVo it, so I can zip through the flowery words and testimonials and perhaps get some tips on how to use this product better.

I just got the mineral veil and tried it for the past 2 days. I used it over the base and then I tried it as a "sandwich" of under and over the base. I'm still not 100% sure I like the product. I like it alot on parts of my face - cheeks, jaw, forehead, but don't like the look of it under my eyes. I don't have too many wrinkles, but this product seems to accentuate them. Also, I have small pores, but this product also accentuates them too, though I must say that the mineral veil does make the pores less noticible than using the base minerals without it.

Familycruzer,

I'm sure it's an interesting tour. I'd love to see their studio.

Last week I went to a business meeting where I met the president of QVC, one of the merchandising executives, two girls named Stacy & Tracey who hawk hair care products and then 4 of their regular on air sellers - Maxx bags, Honora jewelry, Prescriptives cosmetics and Jos Banks Clothiers. It was great listening to their merchandising techniques and how being on QVC relates to their regular business and the changes it creates.

The concept of people willingly and happily sitting through hour long sales pitches just fascinates me. I'd lose my mind! LOL!

Jane

Oh, I love my BE. It took me awhile to get the hang of wearing it, but I love it now. I put on some liquid foundation the other day and washed it right off. It just felt so heavy compared to BE.

Thanks...I'll be watching the show!

Jane,

Bisque is a more opaque powder that they sell. They have regular and a summer one (has an spf of 20). There may be others too. I especially love the summer one because I mix it with the mineral veil and don't use the foundation in summer...but then again will there be a summer!:confused:

Hi All,

I have been using mineral cosmetics for a few years. I actually use BE in the spring and summer when my skin is less dry, and I use Aromaleigh mineral cosmetics in the fall and winter which they seem to have a less drying effect during the winter but not as lasting as BE is for me in the spring and summer months. I have also found the most wonderful skin care products made by Daybreak Lavender Farm. My skin has never looked better since using their Rhassoul facial skin care kit. Their site is definitely worth a look see for those interested in considering a skin care regimen change :)

Shirley

I TiVo'd the BE Sales pitch show on QVC. It was the first QVC I've ever watched for more than about 3 minutes.

I just can't imagine how anyone can sit through all that! Thanks to TiVo I was able to turn a 2 hour hard sell sales pitch into 30 minutes of information.

Do all the shows have people call in with testimonals like that??? Does anyone else find it as annoying as I do?

I think that one of the problems I may have been having with the foundation is the brush I'm using. I think the bristles are too short and too dense. I'm going to use one like they use in the show and see if it makes a difference.

The bisque looks like it might be a good product since it doubles as an eyeshadow.

Well, I liked learning a little more about BE, but I'll not be tuning in to another QVC show anytime soon! LOL!

Jane

Jane if you really want to hear testimonials check out the BEaddicts board:http://forums.delphiforums.com/bareescentuals

I have never encountered such well named 'addicts'. Amazing consumers of beauty products!

The mineral makeup takes a little getting used to and the consensus on the BE forum is the best brush to use is the short dense "kabuki" brush. Another tip is "buffing" the foundation and to use the product very sparingly - but you need to take care that you don't buff to a shine!

Momtorres,

NO NO NO, I DON"t want to hear anymore testmonials....puleeze!!! LOL!!!

Just too awful to listen to these women drone on and on and on about absolutely nothing. sheesh!

I have a short dense brush from Chanel, it's very high quality with fine hairs and a dome shape. It's what I was using w/ the BE. However, on the QVC show, they show the models using a longer brush, so I went out and bought one yesterday. I can't decide which one I prefer. I'm still noticing a "cake up" of the product around the folds on my nose, even though I have very little on the brush. Could it be that I'm using too heavy a moisturizer and it's catching all the minerals? I have very dry skin and use a heavy moisturizer in the winter.

I'm quick on the concept of using very little, but this "buffing" thing still mystifies me. I'm just stymied by it.

The show was too busy hawking other products to buy rather than focusing on an application techniques. Perhaps it was BE-102 while I still need BE-101!

Any application tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jane

OK - my apologies for hijacking this thread. But it really is relevant to cruises as I must decide how much makeup I want to bother with on my cruise - right??

Yeah, right.

Jane - I am only a recent user but have been lurking waaaay too much at the BE forum. My goodness, but these women defend their beloved minerals. They also adore Leslie Blodgett the CEO who does those QVC presentations.

My guess is the moisturizer may need to be more fully absorbed from your description. There is a learning curve and the technique is described as

• swirl (the product onto the brush from a small amount in the cap of the container)
  • tap off any excess product
  • buff onto the face.

The buffing technique is to literally polish the minerals onto the skin - for as long as 2 minutes. I have been using this technique with the domed BE brush and am quite happy. I did not wear foundation prior to BE.

A common complaint is under eye areas and how to best overcome any wrinkles. BE offers a plethora of products to combat any adversity.

Many of the women on this makeup forum attend make-over events and describe the BE makeup artists as really scrubbing the product into the face, although with a light hand since some brushes can feel scratchy. Other tips from the board were to moisten the brush after application with a slightly wet hand and go over the finished face to set the product.

Maureen

Jane110, Have you tried letting your moisturizer "set" for a while, before using the makeup? I don't use BE (I don't use any foundation) but I've always found my makeup goes on a bit nicer if I wait about 10-20 minutes. I have a routine, shower, moisturize, then go do a few morning chores before applying makeup. Or, try blotting around your nose before applying your foundation, I never moisturize my nose, it's like an oil well.

I only watch QVC or HSN in the middle of the night, when I cannot sleep. The droning will put me out soon.

Jane110 -- I agree with Kathy about letting your moisturizer "set" before applying the products. It really does make a difference. The BEaddicts board has a whole section strictly on "Tips". You could check that out (and skip the "testimonials") or if you can lay your hands on the DVD that comes with the starter kits (try ebay), you can actually watch the applications. When my friend and I first started using BE we spent one Sunday afternoon just applying and experimenting with the products and brushes. We learned a lot doing that.

Hi-

I would have thrown my 2 cents in sooner, but I've been on a land vacation.

I also found the minerals to sit in my fine wrinkles and wasn't happy with that. I started using Retin A shortly after I started using Bare Minerals, and I don't notice it as much anymore. I'm not sure if it's because the Retin A is helping or my technique with the minerals is improving, but I'd agree to try letting the moisturizer sit for awhile before applying the minerals.

As far as the Bisque goes, upon reading advice about its use as a concealer for dark under eye circles, I purchased some at Ulta. Wish I'd tried it out in the store first (I was short on time) because I find it to be no more helpful than my foundation applied with my maximum coverage concealer brush. I use Foundation 1.2 and it seems to be nearly the same color and doesn't really give me any additional coverage.

Happy K's, LandLocked and Auntiaunce,

Thank you all for the valuable suggestions.

As far as moisturizer goes, I've always let it "set" before applying make-up. Generally my routine is to apply it right after getting out of the shower and letting it soak in while I have coffee, dry my hair, etc. so it's usually at least a half hour,or more, before I try putting any make-up over it.

Retin A/Wrinkles - As I said, this is not too much of a problem for me (yet), but the BE accentuates them. I have been using the ROC Retin A product for 6 months and have noticed a visable difference in that the fine lines are going away and becoming even less visable.

So, as of this point, the suggestions I have followed have been (in addition to the above), using the short brush, using the long brush, using the mineral veil over and under, using the mineral veil over the foundation only, and then putting a bit if dampness over the foundation right under my eyes.

I think I'll head over to the BE website and check for the helpful hints dept. Thanks for that tip.

If nothing there helps, then I'm simply going to return the products to the store. I like the concept of the product and I think I've given it my best shots to make it work for me. But if I can't get it to NOT accentuate the fine wrinkles under my eyes and make my small pores look larger, then it's just not for me. :(

Thanks again for you input.

Jane

Like everything else, it's soooo different for everyone.

For me, I've only kept using BE because I think it does a wonderful job under my eyes!! It covers better than all the under-eye concealers I've tried in my life and it DOESN'T draw attention to the fine lines. It looks really natural.

BUT...I think BE makes your pores look bigger.

So, for me, it's the exact opposite of the person (I forget who) who said they love it on their face but not under their eyes :).

Melissa :)

I've been using BE for a few months and find that the foundation doesn't cover my larger pores on and around my nose. I've started just rubbing it in with my fingertips (undoubtedly not an approved application method!) and then going back over that area lightly.

Today I ordered some of the mineral veil and I'm looking forward to seeing if it will make a difference.

This thread has been really, really helpful.

I also recently started using Retin A; my BE experience has not be wonderful. I bought the concealer, foundation, mineral veil, blush and deeper blush and 3 eye products - with all the right brushes. I also find the concealer to sometimes enhances the lines under my eyes, rather than conceal. Also, sometimes it looks very powdery around my nose. When I wet the brush and apply the eye liner the liner can feel pebbly and annoy my eyes for a few seconds. I think my technique may need some help. I've been thinking of going back into the store for an application lesson. There are 2 stores near me. I may try some of the tips here. Then every once in a while - it all comes together and looks great. I will also the website - everyone is so helpful - thanks.

Hmmmm....seems like the bisque might not be a good producr for me to buy and try. Perhaps I'll get to a Sephora and see if they have it there, so I can try it before buying it.

I don't have dark circles under my eyes, the little bit of natural darkness is easily covered by regular foundation, whether it's BE or my usual liquid.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels this product accentuates the fine lines under the eyes. Like I said, I don't have too many yet, but who needs to make them look worse!

I'll get to the BE board and look at the tips sometime this week.

Thanks pals!

Jane

Jane110,

It is in a small container with a sponge covering which dispenses a little at a time as you push it. You just use the sponge to spread on your face. It's less messy and just easier. And the color is much better for me - I tried several BE colors, using alone and mixing and never got one that was exactly right for me. This looks very natural - I think it's more finely milled also. I love all Philosophy products I've tried though they are a little more expensive than BE.

Archived