Kona -Captain Cook Monument snorkelling?

Kinkacruiser

We did the zodiac boat tour with Captain Zodiac (the snorkel stop is at Captain Cooks Monument) and it was the highlight of our trip. We snorkeled at every stop and that was the best snorkeling we found in Hawaii. I would highly recommend it. I believe it is really hard to get there from shore. There are a limited number of land passes to get there and since it is a reserve you need one of the passes.

I watched Captain Zodiac get real close to dolphins while they were circling in Cook's Bay. It was explained to us that the dolphins were actually resting(sleeping) and that they do this in a group for protection. They are nocturnal hunters, and tourists could actually be disturbing their sleep cycles by breaking hawaiian law and touching them. Also please remember that this bay was the ancient funeral home of Hawaiian kings, and the land abutting the shore is considered sacred by locals. It is considered an offense to enter the land from the bay, and access to the bay from the land is controlled.

That said, I was on the Fair Wind, and they were great guides, they had fins if you need them, they let swimmers use inner tubes, there were water slides and the snorkeling was rather good. Lots of varied schooling fish and plenty of healthy (as of my visit 5 or 6 yrs ago) coral. I can't compare to Raiatea, but while Cook's Bay is not as good as some spots in Bora Bora and Moorea, it is a classy snorkel spot.

Remember to use bidegradable sunscreen and have fun.

We haven't been to Hawaii for a few years, but there was never any issue with the bay being off limits. There is a small park at the south end of the bay. We would rent kayaks from Kona Boys & kayak across the bay to the Cook Monument. There would usually be dolphins jumping around you & following us in the kayaks. It is about a mile across the bay. Actually, the land around the monument & the monument itself is Australian or English property....like an embassy. The Australian Navy makes regular visits to do maintainance on the area.

Also, there is also a public park next to City of Refuge that has excellent snorkeling.

There are several pics in our gallery under Hawaii...link is in signature.

Mike

We had great guides with captain zodiac, we did see dolphins and people wanted to get closer, but our captain explained they were sleeping and she didn't want to disturb them, she let us take some pictures and carried on. They were also very good about explaining that the bay was a protected area and making sure people knew not to touch anything and not to get to close to the coral so that you may accidentally touch things. I believe our guide told us there are about 10 or so land access passes a day.

Archived