My Up Close and Personal Experience with Alaskan Wildlife!

arf2005

Just returned from my first Alaskan cruise. I'm a hot weather person and this wasn't necessarily high on my list of things to do - boy was I wrong - I would recommend this cruise to everyone! What a beautiful part of the country with tons of things to do! Here's a video of my experience with a bear! We rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake using Murray's Guide (perfect way to do this - and inexpensive too!). Lots of photo opps and as you can see...you never know what you might run in to!

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/2030427354945" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/2030427354945" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

Here's another one I call "The Flight of a Bald Eagle". We took this on an excursion in Ketchikan with Ketchikan Outdoors. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a private company to hook up with.

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/2030471076038" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/2030471076038" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

Just returned from my first Alaskan cruise. I'm a hot weather person and this wasn't necessarily high on my list of things to do - boy was I wrong - I would recommend this cruise to everyone! What a beautiful part of the country with tons of things to do!

I'm so glad you said that. I see people post on here all the time that they don't want to go to Alaska because it's cold. I get tired of trying to tell them how silly that is. My dh was like you - tried and true Southern - and thought it would be cold. We wore shorts every day. :rolleyes:

He was also quick to admit how wrong he was and we're planning our third trip back there. We've been all over the world and Alaska's beauty is like no other and tops my list of all-time favorite places on earth.

Your video is awesome and made us all laugh. Thanks for posting it!

We had a similar experience with a caribou in Canada, just trotting along beside us. We took video, but it's old Super 8. Caribou have a funny gait, it looks like they're kind of running in place.

Sewut

These are the moments that are the entire reason we travel! We have had this experience with deer in the Tetons, moose in Yellowstone, buffalo in the Black Hills, bear in the Smokey Mountains, monkeys in Guatamala and so many more. The thrill is beyond description! Glad you posted these for all to see! Thanks! PS. And now we are going to China to see the Pandas . . . not in the wild but still a once in a lifetime experience.

That was awesome!! If it climbed on your car you would have had your own The Great Outdoors moment! I want to go to Alaska so bad. Too bad I can't talk my fiance into doing that instead of a wedding :p

There's a chapel on board the ship. Perhaps you could combine the two! Or do the wedding on one of the glaciers - I saw some pictures of people doing that - it would be unique that's for sure!

OMG, I was scared for you when the bear came to your car, can your window actually have saved you from that bear if he wanted in? I"d be yelling at my husband so bad to have gotten out of there. Awesome video.....

I would assume he could have broken the window if he had wanted to. Our safety net was the gas pedal on the car! Of course as we got caught up in watching him, we stupidly didn't think about him breaking a window. Thankfully he never once seemed aggressive at all. We were lucky.

Oh how amazing! We LOVED our Alaskan cruise. We are looking into going back next year. I'm amazed at the people that say they would never do a cold weather cruise. We had tempatures in the 50's and 60's with plenty of sunshine. In Ketchakan people were painting their houses as it wasn't raining. Boy are they missing out. Glad you had a great time.

In Skagway we took the train up to Carcross and then we took a van back. On the way back we saw a bear but he was gone when we turned around to get a better look. Loved your video and I don't think I would be that calm. I'd be doing what that bear was doing.:eek:

Those were awesome videos. Thanks for sharing. We had a similar experience with caribou but I was standing outside the bus in Denali and we were told to stay very still and let it walk by. I got a still photo but no video.

It's exciting to say the least and really makes the Alaska trip special.:D

Archived