Difference Between RRCL Formal Attire and Cunard??

MeiLoandSquirrel

Ok, so this is only my second post, so be gentle LOL

I am VERY aware of the meaning of "black tie", "dinner jackets", etc. so please save the "oh come on, dress up for goodness sakes" comments to yourself :D LOL

I have been on several Royal Caribbean cruises and I am just wondering how the dinner attire compares.... (not including the tacky ones who would stick out anywhere ;) LOL). I'm not asking if I can wear jeans to dinner, or what substitutes there are for main dining.

We are quite the fashionista family but this crossover on the QM2 is for functionality, we are moving back to the States and the QM2 has a kennel for our dog :D Under normal circumstances, we would have no hesitations running out and buying all new "glamourous" dinner attire. However, we are in the process of packing up an entire house, decided what to ship through movers and what to pack with us, not to mention toting a 1 1/2 year old and the dog. It just feels a bit ridiculous running out and adding additional things into our move, not to mention a bit financially irresponsible....

My wife has plenty of very nice cocktail dresses and I have several very nice tailored black suits. Will we look underdressed if I am not in an official "dinner jacket" and she is not in a "ball gown" :confused: The idea of running out to M&S to get a discount tuxedo that is not tailored seems worse than wearing jeans LOL (no offense intended for the 10 million posters who said to do just that) I'm really not even asking "can I get away with it", I genuinely want to know if a couple in their early thirties would be out of place if not "black tie" to the t?

Ok, so this is only my second post, so be gentle LOL

I am VERY aware of the meaning of "black tie", "dinner jackets", etc. so please save the "oh come on, dress up for goodness sakes" comments to yourself :D LOL

I have been on several Royal Caribbean cruises and I am just wondering how the dinner attire compares.... (not including the tacky ones who would stick out anywhere ;) LOL). I'm not asking if I can wear jeans to dinner, or what substitutes there are for main dining.

We are quite the fashionista family but this crossover on the QM2 is for functionality, we are moving back to the States and the QM2 has a kennel for our dog :D Under normal circumstances, we would have no hesitations running out and buying all new "glamourous" dinner attire. However, we are in the process of packing up an entire house, decided what to ship through movers and what to pack with us, not to mention toting a 1 1/2 year old and the dog. It just feels a bit ridiculous running out and adding additional things into our move, not to mention a bit financially irresponsible....

My wife has plenty of very nice cocktail dresses and I have several very nice tailored black suits. Will we look underdressed if I am not in an official "dinner jacket" and she is not in a "ball gown" :confused: The idea of running out to M&S to get a discount tuxedo that is not tailored seems worse than wearing jeans LOL (no offense intended for the 10 million posters who said to do just that) I'm really not even asking "can I get away with it", I genuinely want to know if a couple in their early thirties would be out of place if not "black tie" to the t?

We're a couple in our thirties and we managed to wear tuxedos. And the crossing came a full month after flying halfway across the world and traveling through Europe.

I certainly noticed who wasn't wearing black tie on the formal nights. And I suppose it did influence my opinion of them. It's not that I wanted to notice them, quite the reverse, but they did stick out for one reason or another.

In my experience, people who refuse to adhere to the expected dress code of a particular social situation do so for reasons other than luggage restrictions. The desire to be noticed, the pretense that their actions are that of a 'rebel' - rather than a person without manners, and a disregard for the feelings of others are usually the reasons.

My wife has plenty of very nice cocktail dresses and I have several very nice tailored black suits.

I would recoment that your wife goes for something at the more glitzy end of range of cocktail dresses. You'll be fine in a dark suit and tie. Enjoy yourselves :)

OK, well last year we went to Bermuda aboard the Explorer of the Seas. On what I think was a formal night, I wore what I had on a previous QM2 cruise which was a long gown and my husband wore his tuxedo. I do believe that I was the only one, at least that I saw, in a gown and there was no one else in a tux. Most people did make an effort, however, and I don't believe I saw any one dressed inappropriately. I saw few dark suits or cocktail dresses, however.

So I will say that the dinner attire is certainly dressier on the QM2, but I really don't think that either of you will feel out of place in a dark suit and cocktail dress. The last time I traveled on the QM2, I found fewer long gowns and I did see some men in dark suits.

Anyway, just go and enjoy your trip. Don't worry about the attire, you will be just fine. You are lucky that you will have your dog with you. I would love to do that some time with mine. Have a wonderful time!

Gail:)

Must ladies wear gowns? Is cocktail length acceptable?:confused:

I believe I did say that cocktail dresses are acceptable and that there were fewer long gowns the last time I sailed on the QM2.

See post #7 and the following:

"So I will say that the dinner attire is certainly dressier on the QM2, but I really don't think that either of you will feel out of place in a dark suit and cocktail dress. The last time I traveled on the QM2, I found fewer long gowns and I did see some men in dark suits."

I believe I did say that cocktail dresses are acceptable and that there were fewer long gowns the last time I sailed on the QM2.

See post #7 and the following:

"So I will say that the dinner attire is certainly dressier on the QM2, but I really don't think that either of you will feel out of place in a dark suit and cocktail dress. The last time I traveled on the QM2, I found fewer long gowns and I did see some men in dark suits."

My apologies, I didn't read all the posts..

You do not need to be 'dressed to the nines' in formal wear. For the gents, a dark suit and tie will be more than sufficient. A smart black cocktail dress for the women; the same.

I always wear a tux but would not feel uncomfortable in a dark suit and tie on formal nights.

I have been traveling with Cunard for many years, including a full world cruise. Those guests who claim to take note of what you are wearing are, in my opinion, in the minority. Do not let their smug pronouncements detract from your crossing.

How wonderful you have chosen to cross with your dog. I have observed the dogs in the kennel and on deck many times on both QM2 and QE2. They are well treated. I am tempted to take my Kerry Blue on a crossing someday to visit his native home in Ireland.

Enjoy!

Bobby

PS... The office of the chief purser oversees the kennel operation, and one of the chief pursers is a dog enthusiast herself.

Archived