Splendor 6/19/11 60th Anniv. Celebration

njoyndride

Day Five – Puerto Vallarta

As I noted above we moved our clocks one hour forward so arrived in Puerto Vallarta 9:00 ship time (10:00 PV time). Since we didn’t need to be off until 10:15 ship time we had another breakfast in the dining room. Normally we are Lido people for breakfast but the dining room had really good food and we enjoyed meeting new people at breakfast.

At 11:00 PV time I decided to go ahead and get off the ship and go to our meeting spot. DH was staying on board with mom and dad so I was solely responsible for 14 family members which is scarier than ziplining above a canyon or river…just kidding. Everyone was there on time and we headed out to the cabs. Originally we were told we’d have to split up but one driver said I can get all of you in my van…I’m visualizing a clown car scenario. He had a great van and we all fit in just fine. The ride to Los Veranos downtown office took a little longer due to the construction going on at the Malecon so for the next few months allow yourselves 25-30 minutes to get there.

We were there before 11:45, just, but no problem we got checked in quickly and were soon on board the bus on our way along the coast and up in to the mountains. I had previously done Los Veranos a little over a year ago. That trip we had a dozen or so in our group, this time we 40 which I think is the max. I thought my family group would be taken alone so I was a little disappointed to be in a bigger group. As it turned out you get so stretched out that it really didn’t matter. For those who have done this you already know how fun the guides are and what a great adventure it is. For those that have never done Los Veranos DO IT!!!!

The drive up takes about 35-40 minutes. Upon arrival there are restrooms to use and we sprayed each other down with Skin So Soft bug spray as we’d heard you can get really bitten up this time of year. Nobody was bitten, not sure if the Skin So Soft worked that well or there weren’t any bugs…doesn’t matter we were just glad not to have itchy welts on us. They provide lockers for backpacks etc. and all you are allowed to bring is small cameras that go around your wrist or neck. Soon we were being fitted with our helmets and harnesses, got the do’s and don’ts and were off to our first zip. Walking up hill to the first 4-5 zips is a pretty good workout especially when it’s 90 degrees and 90% humidity…everyone ends up with shiny faces. Los Veranos has 14 ziplines and it takes about 90 minutes to do them all. The last one is a double line so you can race your friends and family and ends up in a tequila bar…my kind of zip. The guides take videos along the way and a picture on your first zip which are available for purchase in the tequila bar. The guys are so much fun and make it such a great day tipping at the end was my pleasure.

We waited for the dvd and had some appetizers and cold drinks while grandson swam in the river. The bus back was ready after 45 minutes, they have the dvd, food etc. timed perfectly of course. They asked where people want to be dropped so we ended up stopping four times on the way to the ship. Due to the amount of people and multiple stops we got back an hour later than I had told DH so he was a little anxious and was waiting outside the port gates when we returned, he’s so cute! I took the grandchildren back as they were in definite need of ice cream and pizza while their mom and dad shopped outside the ship.

The kids along with DH consumed mass quantities of ice cream while on board. I have to say the ice cream area was always working and always clean, I can’t say that about the RCCL ships I’ve been on.

Since DH had stayed on board our plan was to shower and then go to the Malecon and have dinner off this ship. I love when ships stay in port late. We cabbed downtown and stopped at a quaint little restaurant to have something to drink on the north end of town. It was right on the water and other than us was full of locals. They then began our quest for the perfect restaurant for dinner. Since the Malecon is under construction they have built plywood walkways and have construction fencing blocking the view to the water. I felt so sorry for the restaurants along the way all of them were empty due to the lack of view. We stopped in the main square in front of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, there was a band and the locals were dancing…what fun that was. We walked over the river and to old town when we spotted the perfect place for dinner. A tent on the beach called the Laughing Lobster. We had 1 virgin cocktail, 1 margarita, 1 shots of tequila, appetizers, 1 shrimp dinner, 1 marlin dinner and it came to….$32…what a deal!!! The fish was bbq’d over mesquite with a spicy rub and was EXCELLENT. There’s nothing like a toes in the sand dinner. We watched the locals fish and the children play as the sun went down…how perfect. We cabbed back with about 30 minutes to spare and headed to our balcony to watch Puerto Vallarta disappear in to the night. It was a perfect day.

Great review and thanks for sharing. We too just got off the Splendor in June and did Los Veranos. I highly recommend it as well, what a blast we all had too. Although we took a 5 minute cab ride to collage disco and got the bus there. They must have two options, any way you get there it's a fun time for everyone.

Thanks for a great review, Sharon -- we're heading out on her for our second time in October. We were wondering where to hang out for the day in Cabo - maybe we'll try Casa Dorado this time - sounds like it was very nice - we're really bothered by the vendors so that's a great way to avoid them, it would seem!

Thanks for a great review, Sharon -- we're heading out on her for our second time in October. We were wondering where to hang out for the day in Cabo - maybe we'll try Casa Dorado this time - sounds like it was very nice - we're really bothered by the vendors so that's a great way to avoid them, it would seem!

Thanks Winterstale. It was really nice, the farther you were away from the rope the less interaction. They were there if you wanted to buy anything but they couldn't get to our table.

If you are interested in a resort with no beach Finisterra is really nice. It's across the street and up the hill from the Cabo tender pier. We used their pool, ordered food and drink and had a nice day there a couple of years ago.

Archived