Alaska cruise and land review June10th-17th

shutterbug285

Your photos are excellent. You asked how your wildife spotter spotted so well. Actually with experience it isn't that hard to do.

Glad you had a great trip!

I read on another post about you teaching people how to spot wildlife. I need lessons. I see a lot, but I admit when it comes to spotting birds in trees or wildlife from a big distance , I have a hard time

I read on another post about you teaching people how to spot wildlife. I need lessons. I see a lot, but I admit when it comes to spotting birds in trees or wildlife from a big distance , I have a hard time

Practice every day. Watch out for birds, cats, loose dogs and whatever is local to your area.

I advise people to go to zoos, to wildlife parks and to drive country roads looking for wildlife to spot.

I practice on cattle other livestock just to keep my skills up.

The more you practice the better you will be.

All the while be practicing on taking photos of living things. Digital photography costs nothing and you can delete your failures. Take hundreds of photos.

My husband isn't a good spotter (he depends on me too much) but he is a supurb photographer. He nearly always uses a tripod/monopod and takes his time. I really enjoy his photos.

I enjoy YOUR photos! I

wish I could help you more with this, but the internet isn't the same as standing next to someone. Just keep practicing and you will get improvement in your results.

Edited by PennyAgain

Practice every day. Watch out for birds, cats, loose dogs and whatever is local to your area.

I advise people to go to zoos, to wildlife parks and to drive country roads looking for wildlife to spot.

I practice on cattle other livestock just to keep my skills up.

The more you practice the better you will be.

All the while be practicing on taking photos of living things. Digital photography costs nothing and you can delete your failures. Take hundreds of photos.

My husband isn't a good spotter (he depends on me too much) but he is a supurb photographer. He nearly always uses a tripod/monopod and takes his time. I really enjoy his photos.

I enjoy YOUR photos! I

wish I could help you more with this, but the internet isn't the same as standing next to someone. Just keep practicing and you will get improvement in your results.

Thank you very much :) I enjoy taking them, and Alaska is such a beautiful place!

Thank you for your help too. I will practice. I promise :)

I've been thinking about your soggy Olympus. There is a chance that it could be an electrical connection failure. I would (at least) have it looked at.

I think that most people do not do well with longer lenses especially if they have not practiced. I believe that considering you and your Nikon just met, you did very well.

I'm going to suggest that you park the idea of replacing the Olympus body unless you have a trip coming up soon. I am suggesting that you concentrate on learning the Nikon and keep your money for another Nikon lens in future.

On your wet scenes (from the kayak) and some shots you had of lichens, you show a very good eye for macro work and close up photography.

I would like you to think about that for a while. Just think. Don't buy anything yet.

If you are thinking of getting into high quality photo printing or are already doing so, the small world work (lichens, your parts of trees, starfish, etc) may be just suited for you.

In any case, please think about it.

I've been thinking about your soggy Olympus. There is a chance that it could be an electrical connection failure. I would (at least) have it looked at.

I think that most people do not do well with longer lenses especially if they have not practiced. I believe that considering you and your Nikon just met, you did very well.

I'm going to suggest that you park the idea of replacing the Olympus body unless you have a trip coming up soon. I am suggesting that you concentrate on learning the Nikon and keep your money for another Nikon lens in future.

On your wet scenes (from the kayak) and some shots you had of lichens, you show a very good eye for macro work and close up photography.

I would like you to think about that for a while. Just think. Don't buy anything yet.

If you are thinking of getting into high quality photo printing or are already doing so, the small world work (lichens, your parts of trees, starfish, etc) may be just suited for you.

In any case, please think about it.

I will :)

Shuttlebug,

Thank you so much for posting your pictures. It is obvious that you have provided much information to many of us on this thread. I just loved your pictures and your commentary.

I am so sorry to hear about your soggy camera. Hopefully it is an easy repair and is not causing you to make it a disposable camera. I have heard that others have saved their cell phones by putting it into a container of rice which will wick the moisture away from the electronic components. That may be worth a try as a last ditch effort.

I am serious about my previous invite to come to Yosemite and or Sequoia. I love to show off "my parks". There are worthy of a several day visit. I try to go up to Yosemite at least 2 or 3 times a year. I get cranky if I don't get my fix of waterfalls, sheer rock cliffs and big trees.

The water is so high this year that Yosemite just opened the Merced River for rafting only a week ago. A few days ago my neighbor went up with her adult sons for a bike ride and an afternoon raft trip down the river in Yosemite Valley. The problem with riding a bike in Yosemite Vally is that people are so busy looking at all of the scenery that they forget to watch where they are going.

Deb

Thank you thank you so very very much for the lovely photos!!! I will go to Alaska this september - trip of my dreams. Am so looking forward to it. Get more and more excited. Your photos breathtaking - I want to go there today! /Chris 58 from Stockholm

Shuttlebug,

Thank you so much for posting your pictures. It is obvious that you have provided much information to many of us on this thread. I just loved your pictures and your commentary.

I am so sorry to hear about your soggy camera. Hopefully it is an easy repair and is not causing you to make it a disposable camera. I have heard that others have saved their cell phones by putting it into a container of rice which will wick the moisture away from the electronic components. That may be worth a try as a last ditch effort.

I am serious about my previous invite to come to Yosemite and or Sequoia. I love to show off "my parks". There are worthy of a several day visit. I try to go up to Yosemite at least 2 or 3 times a year. I get cranky if I don't get my fix of waterfalls, sheer rock cliffs and big trees.

The water is so high this year that Yosemite just opened the Merced River for rafting only a week ago. A few days ago my neighbor went up with her adult sons for a bike ride and an afternoon raft trip down the river in Yosemite Valley. The problem with riding a bike in Yosemite Vally is that people are so busy looking at all of the scenery that they forget to watch where they are going.

Deb

Yosemite is next on my bucket list. My plan is to spend a week there, hiking and exploring and I will definitely get in touch when I am able to go. I love the idea of Local enthusiast showing me her park :) I also wouldn't dream of going to Yosemite and not doing Sequoia as well. I am a fan of trees ( as i'm sure you noticed:D)

Thank you thank you so very very much for the lovely photos!!! I will go to Alaska this september - trip of my dreams. Am so looking forward to it. Get more and more excited. Your photos breathtaking - I want to go there today! /Chris 58 from Stockholm

Thank you so much :)

You will have a wonderful time. It was my trip of dreams too and it lived up to all my expectations and more!

Have a fantastic trip

ohhhh wow what wonderful photo's the moose I see the babies. Look down like a clock think six o'clock you can see the out line of the baby. I was ther in June 10-24 on Amsterdam

Did you get to go to Denali? It was cloudy and rainy for us but still beautiful

Thank you so much :)

You will have a wonderful time. It was my trip of dreams too and it lived up to all my expectations and more!

Have a fantastic trip

That was just 'cuz you met me! ;):D

Great pictures and review. I saw the rainbow in that one picture on page 10 towards the top. I love Alaska, but, don't know when I will have a chance to take another cruise. The solo rates are just out of sight.

They just put single cabins on the radiance, but no idea what they go for.

Its funny rainbows seem to follow us when we go somewhere

Loved the review..loved the pictures. Now you have me wanting to go to Icy Strait Point! Great bear pictures and moose pictures, too. We're going back for our 3rd trip to AK next month, and I hope to get pictures of moose this time. Might as well start planning for #4, to go to ISP.

Loved the review..loved the pictures. Now you have me wanting to go to Icy Strait Point! Great bear pictures and moose pictures, too. We're going back for our 3rd trip to AK next month, and I hope to get pictures of moose this time. Might as well start planning for #4, to go to ISP.

Icy Strait was one of my favorite stops. I could see how it might not be for everyone, but for genuine Alaskan, you can't beat it I"m not a fan of all the jewelry shops etc that you see at cruise ports.

They just put single cabins on the radiance, but no idea what they go for.

Its funny rainbows seem to follow us when we go somewhere

I am so used to a baclony, I don't think I could go for anything else different. I have even paid the extra to have a balcony on my next 2 cruises because right now I'm not ready to share a cabin with someone. Maybe in the future, but, not now.

Thanks for your photos and post. We are leaving Aug 17th and have reserved S.E. Kayaks Orca Bay. I am a little nervous since our experience has been sit on Kayaks in Florida. We too bought a waterproof camera and I am looking forward to seeing if our shots will turn out as great as yours.

Thanks for your photos and post. We are leaving Aug 17th and have reserved S.E. Kayaks Orca Bay. I am a little nervous since our experience has been sit on Kayaks in Florida. We too bought a waterproof camera and I am looking forward to seeing if our shots will turn out as great as yours.

Don't worry Jillian and Greg at Southeast Sea Kayaks will put you right at ease. You'll have a ball!

The hardest part of taking the pictures is trying to aim the camera the right way while not leaning over! lol

I am so used to a baclony, I don't think I could go for anything else different. I have even paid the extra to have a balcony on my next 2 cruises because right now I'm not ready to share a cabin with someone. Maybe in the future, but, not now.

I understand completely. :)