Rome-Transatlantic

schinz

Well we took the plunge and booked the Rome Transatlantic cruise on 10/17. Can anyone who has been to Rome reccommend a Hotel? We will only be there 2 nights and don't need a lot of amenities since we will be wanting to see as much as we can. I know most of the hotels have tours and shuttles from their hotel, but can someone reccomend a hotel? I have found that the Celebrity package seems grossly over priced.

Thanks,

Stefanie

I am thinking of booking this cruise, I have been searching the web for a good price but all the sites seem to be the same. I finally went with cruise411 and they are holding a cabin for me until Tuesday, so I better get my mind made up real fast. :confused:

My husband and I are considering booking this cruise. Does anyone have any feedback on what the temperatures and possible weather on this cruise in Oct? Has anyone in the group done this crossing before? Any information would be helpful. I think I just need a little push in the direction of booking.

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi

We, and a number of other Cruise Critic members on the Galaxy Transatlantic, stayed on in Rome at the Hotel Napoleon. One of the CC members, Elmel, had researched hotels in Rome for us and found this gem.

The Hotel Napoleon is a 4 star hotel with reasonable rates (I believe a double is 160 Euros and a triple, 180 Euros per night). Included in that rate is a full buffet breakfast which offered cereals, fresh fruit, fruit cocktail, yogurt, sweet rolls, dinner rolls, sliced meats and cheeses, omelettes (not made to order though), toast, juices, tea, coffee etc. The hotel restaurant offers great lunches and dinners at prices slightly lower than local area restaurants, and it offers glasses of dessert wine and biscotti with their compliments at the end of the dinner.

The hotel is tastefully furnished but is not glitzy. There is a terrific lounge for guests on the second floor - it has several sofas and comfortable chairs, a large TV and a computer with free access to email and the Internet. Guest rooms are air conditioned, clean and comfortable, and include a small bar fridge.

There is a Metro stop right out front of the hotel, a very pretty park across the street and an inexpensive grocery store nearby. Hotel staff were always helpful in getting taxis, providing directions to various sites, and recommending local restaurants.

We enjoyed our stay and I highly recommend the Hotel Napoleon. You can check out the hotel at its website: http://www.napoleon.it. I was corresponding with Mr. Domenico Nelli, the Assistant Manager. If you're interested, you can contact him directly at infobook@napoleon.it

Bev

Hi All,

I still have not booked this cruise, has any of you sailed on this ship before? I have only sailed on RCI and I was wondering about the entertainmnet. I was reading some reviews and most of them were not real good, I have never had any complaints on RCI and I have been told by several TA's that is ship is beautiful an much nicer than RCI. Any info will help.

Thanks

Chris

Western Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas 11/04

Transatlantic Grandeur of the Seas 9/03

Grandeur of the Seas Panama Canal 9/02

Legend of the Seas 9/01

Sovereign of the Seas 9/1996

My DH and I did the TA last year on the Galaxy and had a wonderful time. We really like the Galaxy but will tell you if you're looking for glitz, you will be disappointed. The Celebrity ships are more understated than RCI ships, but I think they are nicer. They have an elegance that RCI is missing and the staff are top-notch. RCI's entertainment is better, but if you decide to take this cruise, I don't think you will be disappointed. There's a wonderful group already going and I bet there will be many nights when you decide to forgo the entertainment because you'd rather "play" with your new friends you will be sailing with.

Our cruise was a couple of weeks earlier than this one and our weather was perfect. Warm days the entire crossing. I did hear that the weather turned cooler shortly after we left, but with the weather patterns in the world today, who knows what it will be like.

You can look at my pictures of our cruise and the ship at my website below. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Garry

My DH and I did the TA last year on the Galaxy and had a wonderful time. We really like the Galaxy but will tell you if you're looking for glitz, you will be disappointed. The Celebrity ships are more understated than RCI ships, but I think they are nicer. They have an elegance that RCI is missing and the staff are top-notch. RCI's entertainment is better, but if you decide to take this cruise, I don't think you will be disappointed. There's a wonderful group already going and I bet there will be many nights when you decide to forgo the entertainment because you'd rather "play" with your new friends you will be sailing with.

Our cruise was a couple of weeks earlier than this one and our weather was perfect. Warm days the entire crossing. I did hear that the weather turned cooler shortly after we left, but with the weather patterns in the world today, who knows what it will be like.

You can look at my pictures of our cruise and the ship at my website below. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Garry

Garry, could you post the website. I'd enjoy seeing the pictures.

Thanks.

Pincus

so come on aboard, you who are considering it!

We do have a great group already signed up for Roll Call. And a great time we are anticipating.

A couple of things:

Garry - I have my CC pages stripped down so I don't have to scroll thorugh all sigs and clocks and stuff so I don't see your sig, or your website. Please post in text.

And about the weather -- I was in Rome for a couple of weeks one October, and the weather was absolutely delightful! Warm and sunny days, with a light jacket or sweater feeling comfortable on some nights. No rain the entire two weeks!! Since the ship takes the southern route across the Atlantic, expect similar weather all the way. There is always the possibility of a late-season hurricane, not likely, but the ship will take evasive measures, never fear.

This is our "Arrivederci, amici, to Howdy Y'all" cruise and we welcome all. Being a repo, the price is good too.

love

joan

Garry - I have my CC pages stripped down so I don't have to scroll thorugh all sigs and clocks and stuff so I don't see your sig, or your website. Please post in text.

joan

Here it is Joan. Link to Galaxy T/A cruise pictures http://community.webshots.com/user/bobm278

You've really got a great group going. I wish I was with you!

Garry

Garry, you had an interesting itinerary - better, I think, than ours will be.

I particularly wish we were seeing Gibraltar since the one time I was in that particular corner of the world you could not go directly from Spain to Gibraltar = the Spanish and the Brits were feuding. So I could see it only as we were crossing the narrow strait on the way to Morocco.

I'd like to see Lisbon again too. I enjoyed Portugal so much on two prior journeys there.

Thanks again.

love

joan

Joan, we really enjoyed Gibraltar but didn't stay there long enough. I could have spent 4-5 more hours there easily. We also enjoyed the Azores. What am I saying, we loved every single port!:D

Garry

Archived