Cunard gratuities

Alona

Personally we take off one automated payment and give personal tips to those staff who we enjoy our cruise with. Cheer's John:)

So do the total tips you give add up to less, the same or more than leaving both auto tips in place?

David.

Your servers/cabin stewards/etc know who opted out of the daily automatic "Hotel and Dining Charge" (as Cunard refers to it; IT IS NOT A TIP) and who did not. As others have stated, they are on the honor system to return to the pool all cash received up to the amount that the pool would have received if the automatic charges were left in place. Anything extra or above, (this is a tip), they can keep. No one would be willing to risk their career over cheating this honor system.

Let's face it and call it what it is, guests who do not participate in this system are usually being cheap or are ignorant to cheat the hardworking crew members who depend on the "Hotel and Dining Charge" for the bulk of their wages. I would bet that very few guests who remove the charge give the crew up to the full amount expected. If you do not want to pay this charge, stay home.

well said

Alona, Please do not worry too much about the gratuity question. Let those who like to pay it pay it. It's your cruise so enjoy it. Personally we take off one automated payment and give personal tips to those staff who we enjoy our cruise with. Cheer's John:)

You probably think that you are being fair to those staff who you tip but in reality they have to hand in all the cash that you give them purely because you have removed the auto-tip, so really you aren't being that fair and certainly aren't achieving the result that you wanted.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I do not understand why people continue to refer to it as an "auto tip" or something similar. Again, IT IS NOT A TIP, but a Dining and Service Charge, Cunard's wording, not mine. And remember, it makes up the bulk of the crew's wages - they depend on it and deserve it.

Cruise lines do not want to do away with this charge and and just add it to the price of the cruise, because they would then have to advertise higher rates which perhaps would drive potential customers away.

This charge is not a secret and is known to everyone before they board the ship. If you do not want to pay it, stay home. If you cannot afford it, then book a lower category cabin or find a different holiday.

Really? But it is voluntary!!

Our experience has shown that we receive far better service when we take the tips off, as the staff are aware of this fact. Sorry, but its human nature in many cases!! We always give the amount recommended - no more and no less. But if the service is really poor - we do reduce the tip considerably. A mistake does not constitute poor service - we would not alter the amount for just one mistake. But on our last cruise our tips were paid up front - the room steward was poor to say the least. He approached me after we received the comment card and said I had to put 'excellent'!! Cheeky whotsit!!

The ONLY reason I pay tips in advance is to eat at the 'choose your own time' restaurants on some lines. In that case, it is obligatory to pay the tips in advance - as far as I am aware, in that case you cannot remove them.

As far as we are concerned, if the service is OK to good, we tip the recommended amount in cash. Whether they actually hand it in, is between them and the cruiseline.

They don't lose out anyway - anything below a certain base is made up by the cruiseline.;)

Frankly, the attitude of some on here leaves a lot to be desired - how, why and what people tip, is their business and no-one elses!!:D:D

I am happy to say how I tip, but I don't approve or disapprove of what other folks do. Their business, not mine.

Goodness, I can feel the flames coming at me - must call the Fire Brigade!!:eek::D

No of course it isn't.

I beg to differ - they wouldn't be able to keep staff otherwise in countries where tipping is not part of the culture.

Obviously, the cruiseline isn't going to tell you that;););)

I beg to differ - they wouldn't be able to keep staff otherwise in countries where tipping is not part of the culture.

Obviously, the cruiseline isn't going to tell you that;););)

You lost me, why does whether tipping takes place in a crew members home country make a difference?

QM2 has Southampton as her homeport but less than 5% of the crew are British so I still don't understand what the point is.

I think they meant that if the ship is homeported somewhere that the culture is not generally a tipping culture that the crew would not want to be on that ship because they may feel they will not get tipped. just guessing here.

Good. I see its back to tipping again. Cunard can call it what they like but it is an additional voluntary contribution over and above the cost of the cruise. If staff wages are not included in the cost of the cruise then what are we paying for? Hotel accomodation, food, fuel, port charges etc. I doubt this matter will ever be agreed between those countries with no or low minimum wages who always expect to tip and those with higher wages who do not have a culture of always tipping.

I am interested to know why Cunard feel they should inform their staff immediately someone decides to remove the auto tip dining hotel charge or whatever you want to call it. Surely this is a private matter between the cruise line and the passenger and should not be disclosed to staff. If this is true and they do inform staff I would like to know what reason they would give for doing so.

I also believe that if someone decides to tip a steward or waiter for individual good service then that also is between that passenger and the staff member involved and should not be interfered with by Cunard or even other staff members.

The way things have been explained on this thread leave me a little uneasy as it conjures up a picture of Cunard acting like some kind of heavy-handed dictator, with staff quivvering in their shoes should they have been given a dollar more than the others.

I know that in some smaller establishments, such as hairdressers or restaturants, staff sometimes do pool tips, but as the Cunard ships employ 1000+ staff this system is unworkable surely.

I think it's about time this whole issue was clarified by Cunard so we, as paying customers, are fully aware of what is true and was is just 'urban legend'.

I am interested to know why Cunard feel they should inform their staff immediately someone decides to remove the auto tip dining hotel charge or whatever you want to call it. Surely this is a private matter between the cruise line and the passenger and should not be disclosed to staff. If this is true and they do inform staff I would like to know what reason they would give for doing so.

I also believe that if someone decides to tip a steward or waiter for individual good service then that also is between that passenger and the staff member involved and should not be interfered with by Cunard or even other staff members.

The way things have been explained on this thread leave me a little uneasy as it conjures up a picture of Cunard acting like some kind of heavy-handed dictator, with staff quivvering in their shoes should they have been given a dollar more than the others.

I know that in some smaller establishments, such as hairdressers or restaturants, staff sometimes do pool tips, but as the Cunard ships employ 1000+ staff this system is unworkable surely.

I think it's about time this whole issue was clarified by Cunard so we, as paying customers, are fully aware of what is true and was is just 'urban legend'.

wouldn't you want to know if you were being stiffed?

So that they know when they must turn over the tip to the pool (auto-tip removed), and when they get to keep the extra tip (auto-tip in place).

The issue is not whether someone has been given more than the others; it's that the others have been given less. That's what happens when you remove the auto-tip and give out money on an individual basis. The auto-tip doesn't just reward the front-line staff that you are in contact with, but also the behind-the-scenes crew that work just as hard to make your cruise memorable, but that you never personally see. Those are the people that the system is meant to reward/protect.

Well, having not (yet) been on Cunard, I can't speak for what is done on their ships, but on HAL, it was very clearly explained. Auto-tip removed = tips turned over; auto-tip left = keep extra tips.

[Well, having not (yet) been on Cunard, I can't speak for what is done on their ships, but on HAL, it was very clearly explained. Auto-tip removed = tips turned over; auto-tip left = keep extra tips.

Where was this clearly explained? On the CC notice board? In the HAL Brochure? By a crew member? I have not seen this factually explained anywhere on the Cunard website or in their brochure, that's the reason for my statement!

wouldn't you want to know if you were being stiffed?

The staff are not being 'stiffed' as such - this is a voluntary payment by customers invoiced directly by Cunard and as such is information which in my opinion should be kept confidential. This is not because I am against tipping, I just think it is wrong for a multi national company to be 'grassing' on their paying customers! (If this is indeed the case and as yet it has not been proved!).

The staff are not being 'stiffed' as such - this is a voluntary payment by customers invoiced directly by Cunard and as such is information which in my opinion should be kept confidential. This is not because I am against tipping, I just think it is wrong for a multi national company to be 'grassing' on their paying customers! (If this is indeed the case and as yet it has not been proved!).

this voluntary payment makes up the bulk of their salary.

I will be the 155th reply to this thread.

Actually the voluntary payment is a very smart move by the cruise lines. It is a win, win situation for them. As the payment is classed as voluntary, it means a couple of things:

1. It appears that the passengers are getting a cheaper cruise.

2. The crew get an increase in salary which is tax free.

3. Cunard do not have to pay any extra taxes, their annual figures are less and they pay less taxes on these as well.

I will always remove the automatic charging and reward individuals who I deem as worthy. Does anyone really think that these people hand over all their tipsmfor everyone to share? I wouldn't for sure.

I will be the 155th reply to this thread.

Actually the voluntary payment is a very smart move by the cruise lines. It is a win, win situation for them. As the payment is classed as voluntary, it means a couple of things:

1. It appears that the passengers are getting a cheaper cruise.

2. The crew get an increase in salary which is tax free.

3. Cunard do not have to pay any extra taxes, their annual figures are less and they pay less taxes on these as well.

I will always remove the automatic charging and reward individuals who I deem as worthy. Does anyone really think that these people hand over all their tipsmfor everyone to share? I wouldn't for sure.

yes they do if the auto charge is removed. its an honor system, as was said in an earlier post. if you do not remove the auto charge then anything you give them extra they keep.

I NEVER find this subject tedious. If I did, I would just avoid the threads - as I do with those connected with dancing - I don't have a partner!!!:D

ALL the cruiselines notify the staff of those who have not auto-tipped.

I happen to believe that if I don't tip in advance, I then receive better service!! They know they have to work for the tip!!

On Princess we left the tips on and the service was abysmal in the Dining Room. So, I removed the tips and just tipped every night. After a few nights, servers were rushing forward for our business and couldn't do enough for us.

I still say its human nature to work for tips!! And I don't believe that they should all receive the same, when one is a slacker as sometimes happens. My money, my choice - or should be!! Call it tips or call it a service charge - if I don't receive the service, why should I pay for it?

Archived