Freedom of the Seas June 12-19 VERY LONG

Wow... There are 13 of us boarding in 41 days. I can't wait. I can't even imagine how big this ship is.

Does anyone know what the price ranges are for Ben & Jerry's and the cupcake store?

I can't remember exactly the prices for B&J on the ship, but I seem to think they weren't that far off from regular B&J retail.

Erika

We were on the Freedom's "sister-ship", the Liberty, back in 2007. We're now scheduled for the Freedom in November, and can't wait. By all accounts it's a gorgeous ship with a great crew ... no doubt we'll have fun, and we're enjoying reading the review, thanks for posting!!! :)

Michael and Silke

How did you get the sodas on the ship? Did you pack them in your luggage or have them in your "carry on"? This will be my husbands and I's first cruise and I want to take a 6 pack of coke but I thought it wasn't allowed??

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for the great post. My question is who did you rent your cars/minivans from in Orlando and how much did they charge? I have my wife and I and our 5 kids. We usually shuttle from our hotel in Orlando for around $40 per person ($280) round trip and they have been good about picking us up at the port. I recently quoted Budget about renting from the airport and dropping off the car at the port and it was fair but a bit high but the return rental from the port to be dropped off at the airport was over $200 for a minivan.

Thanks

Lynda:

Olive or Twist usually had a band with dance music. Stuff from the 70's, oldies, etc. not boring but the good stuff like "My Girl."

Also two performances of the Ice Show on Day 4 at 7 & 9 pm

Suzw:

Big screen is outdoors right in front of the main pools

Littleredp:

We carried our soda on in a carry-on. Went right through security xray no problem. BF's shoulders did not appreciate but his daughter & I did. I was told is better than trying to get them in your luggage.

Kellymo:

I rented from Avis. I rented 7 person minivan for about $80 a day including tax & fees for one-way rental from MCO to Port. This was with a discount code. I don't remember where exactly I found them but I know many were from CC. I think maybe on the departure board. I spent a whole day plugging in codes in all the various companies til I found the best deal. If you belong to any kind of organization check to see if the have any kind of discount for rentals. The best deal I ended up was for being a bowler and USBC has discount codes. When I have more free time I can try to research where I got codes.

JoAnn

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry have not been able to get back until now with my review. I had some computer issues and once I got them fixed had some home projects to attend to.

Day 3: Labadee, Haiti

Labadee_Pictures_001.jpg

Again woke up to wonderful weather. The kids were very excited to get off the boat and see their first port of call. Since we had no formal excursions planned, we took our time getting ready and getting off the boat. Some of group participated in the beach volleyball. They had fun but again found it to be very disorganized. My DS (21) had some real issues with water availability on the island. It was very hot out on the beach and DS wanted to get some water after playing volleyball in the hot sun. He went to one of the bars and requested a glass of water. They told him they do not serve water there he needed to go to one of the dining venues. So he goes there and they say they are out of water, they only have fruit punch. Of course there was bottled water available for purchase. As you can from the map I have included with the compasses it clearly states, “Drinking water is available by the glass at all bar locations and cafes.” The rest of the day was spent hanging out on the beach by most of our party. Step-daughter and I did end up going on a para-sailing excursion. The staff was very nice. Kids were disappointed in the rockiness of the beach, but some who stayed a bit later found a better beach later. If you can see on the enclosed map they show which areas are for sunbathing and which are for swimming. I am embarrassed to say that I somehow missed this map until I got home from the trip. I guess that was because it was included in our compass for Day 1 and not Day 3.

Overall impressions of Labadee: Labadee was our least favorite port of call. Lunch was just “picnic” food. I did not have high expectations so was not overly disappointed. The “water” issue left us with a bad taste in our mouth. I did not experience the “pushy” vendors in the market I had heard about in research because I did not venture that way. However, twice I did ask for guidance to a location and both times directions started with,” You go through the market.” A couple of the kids did go there and said the vendors were a bit in your face. A couple in our party did experience the Dragon Coaster and said it was fun.

Back on the boat had another incident with the sports program. Compass had open volleyball from 4-5. Several of our party went to participate and no net was set up for volleyball. When they inquired about it DS (19) was told you don’t have the right shoes. So DS said I will go change my shoes, no problem. Response was well then it will be too late. DS said we have an hour. So they did reluctantly put up the net and our group was able to play. But we wondered about other people who might have shown up and saw nothing going and did not pursue it. The sports program sets up the activity times and should follow through with them. We should not have had to push to be allowed to participate.

Dinner was again very enjoyable and staff was wonderful. After dinner most of our group decided to go up to Seven Hearts Card Room and hang out playing cards & board games. My parents were even able to get paper plates & disposal forks and bring up leftovers from anniversary cake the night before. We had a lot of fun and stayed until about 1AM. BF & I did stop by the 70’s Disco Dancing in the Street Party in the Promenade a bit before going to the card room it was quite fun.

Hopefully it won’t take as long to post Day 4 Falmouth, Jamaica.

Great review! We were on the same cruise. We did the Dragon's Breath Zipline, and had a great time! After seeing how rocky the beach was from the zipline, we went over to Columbus Cove. That was a great beach with nice soft sand.

Thank you for posting your review. Looking forward to reading more. My DH and I will be on her in March doing the same itenerary.

You mentioned that you found a beach that was not as rocky later in the day, could you tell me which one it was as we are more than likely just going to sit, relax and swim. Might want to parasail. I have to get my nerve up for that. Can you do just one for the parasail and how much was it. Thank you very much for your help.

Kathy

I was already back on the ship when they discovered the better beach, so not sure. But swimming beaches were pointed out on the Labadee map. Just make sure to look for it in the Compass Day 1 versus Compass Day 3.

Parasailing on Labadee was 2 person only. About 80$ a person. BF and kids when exploring on their own in Cozumel and said they saw parasailing much cheaper than it was on Labadee. As far as getting up the nerve. Go for it! I really enjoyed it. I expected it to be a "thrill" ride, but actually it was more a very laid back activity. When you are up in the air, it is very peaceful & beautiful not at all scary.

JoAnn

Day 4: Falmouth, Jamaica

Today we had our first excursion planned. I was really excited as the one excursion that was my “must-do” was ziplining. Must say I was not disappointed. 14 from our party went ziplining. Our tour was scheduled for 12pm. We were to meet at 11:45 on Falmouth. We walked through the shopping area to covered patio staging areas to await our bus. The ride on the air-conditioned buses of which there was 2 for our time is approximately 30 minutes. You start out in a going through a very rundown area and then off on a highway for an approximately 30 minute ride. It does give a broad view of Jamaica from “poor” neighborhoods to the resort areas around Montego Bay. The last part of the ride to the ziplining staging area is an adventure unto itself. You go on a one lane rutted, dirt road going uphill with some very “scary” turns. Once at the staging area they have someone from the tour read the waiver. Then it time to get geared up. This took quite a while. At least while you are waiting there is water and snacks available for sale and bathroom facilities. Glad to see that safety was also a concern that although they had Red Stripe beer for sale you were not able to purchase any until after the ziplining was completed. Although it took a while to get everyone geared up, once that was completed we still had to wait for transport to take us further up the mountain. These timing issues were continuous throughout the tour. Our transport arrives they are military-type open sided all terrain trucks. Again this ride is not for the faint of heart. The vehicle in front of us actually was not able to make it all the way up the route and had to have the people unload & walk the final leg. Fortunately, this distance was only a matter of yards. Finally into the jungle and onto the ziplines. I absolutely enjoyed the 10 or so zip lines we did. They varied in length, speed and view. There were also 2 rappels. Rappels are where you are standing on a suspended platform and are dropped straight down on the rope to the next platform. Overall really enjoyed the ziplining excursion for $99 pp and would recommend it to others. However, it could have been better organized on timing. It is listed as a 3 hour excursion and was more like 4-4.5. I think it could most definitely be done in the 3 hours as touted with better timing. We waited after getting geared up and also many times while actually ziplining. Guides often cut into our lines to zipline ahead. No problem with that just seems like they weren’t timing things well enough. Was very impressed with the safety of the ziplining and the staff was very friendly. My BF had had a cyst removed from his neck before the cruise. The wound is still in the process of healing. One of the guides asked if he had a hole in his neck. BF said yes and guide asked him if he could look at it. BF said sure. Guide asked him if he had been shot. BF told him how he got the wound. Guide says just tell everyone you were shot it makes a better story.

DSCN1317.jpg

View from the mountain where we ziplined.

DSCN1319.jpg

Suspended bridge from which we rappeled down.

DSCN1323.jpg

DSCN1337.jpg

The brave zipliners.

DD (25) was very disappointed that she could not participate in ziplining as she was 4 months pregnant. However, DD, DS (21) and my mother decided to go off on their own and just pay for a cab and see Dunn River Falls while we were ziplining. They had a great time and said it was absolutely beautiful. They would definitely recommend an excursion there.

We got back to the port around 4-4:30. We decided to go out of the “gate” to the old market to try to find some “authentic” jerk chicken and/or conch chowder. We were able to find both. I have to admit not sure I liked the old market. Seemed like a poor area and felt guilty hanging out on a luxury vacation while the people were living like that. After we had all gotten some jerk chicken from a local street vendor I was approached by an old man no teeth who didn’t look very well off who asked me to buy him an order. So I did. My kids gave me heck later, but I thought, “Hey it’s food not like I gave him money.” A few minutes later he bummed a cigarette which I obliged. Then another gentleman came up and bummed a cigarette. We then decided it was time to head back to the port market area. As we were headed back we went down a side street (I guess more of a wide alley). There were several school girls playing in the street. As we came upon these cute little girls, they were smiling and flirting with us the way cute little girls do. Pretty soon they were touching us and running away etc. One even flipped up the back of my shirt. I am sure they were amateur pick pockets looking for an opportunity. Fortunately we had secured all of our valuables in button pockets.

Since we had time until the 6:30 All Aboard, we went to the port market and had a great time shopping and picking up trinkets for souvenirs. As we were shopping DD and I were approached by a lady wearing a Falmouth “port authority” shirt and were asked what ship we were from. Freedom of the Seas I replied. She said you were supposed to be on board at 6 and it is 5:50 now you need to go they will not wait for you. I said I have to find my BF and kids we will go right away. She said no just go now they will catch up with you and would not let us out of her sight. I was very upset at myself after all the lectures I had given the kids about All Aboard times and the boat not waiting, here I was screwing it up. So DD and I headed back toward the ship and when doing so met up with BF and other kids and we boarded on time.

After getting back on the ship, BF and I went up to our cabin to relax and unwind. Almost immediately upon returning to our cabin my mother called and said DS(21) had taken off in taxi to get something to eat after letting DD and mother off after their trip to Dunns River Falls. She said my father was in panic that he had missed the boat and that I should go down to Deck 1 and check it out. So I went down and explained my concern to crew member. She said they are pulling up the gangway. I was then in a panic and said what does that mean. She said it means everyone is aboard and we are taking off. So all was well and DS had not “missed the boat.” It was now 6:15. When I got back up to the cabin it was really bothering me about the times, so I checked the compass and sure enough it said All Aboard 6:30 not 6:00. I never did find out about this discrepancy. I can only assume that for some reason (storms maybe?) the captain wanted to take off early.

After a bit of rest and relaxation, time to get ready for dinner. BF and I again went down early for dinner to hit the Schooner Bar for some trivia and a pre-dinner drink. Dinner service was excellent as per usual and most of our crew decided to head down to the Arcadia Theatre after dinner for “The Love & Marriage Game Show.” We were hoping maybe to get my parents picked to onstage but 50 years of marriage wasn’t enough that night for the longest married couple. Maybe in 5 years. We still thoroughly enjoyed the show.

Up next: Grand Cayman

loving your review and the pics of the ziplining are amazing.... please keep it coming :D

we r on freedom next april..... what did your son think of flowrider?? my son boogie boards and cant wait to do this... were the lines long for this and is there a $ charge ??

loving your review and the pics of the ziplining are amazing.... please keep it coming :D

we r on freedom next april..... what did your son think of flowrider?? my son boogie boards and cant wait to do this... were the lines long for this and is there a $ charge ??

No charge for the florider:D unless you want private lessons;).

Archived