cabin info please

lolmerry

Hi we have booked a ocean view cabin on the zaandam in jan I have been looking at the balcony cabins and they look great, are they?dont think i would get that sort of upgrade. how would the best way be to see if i could pay the diff for a balcony if it was poss. any ideas the diff in price and would i go through my online travelagent i booked with or go direct to Hal,or should i just be gratefull im going and accept whatever is offered,what are my chances,hope some of you can help thanks,

To give you an idea of the price difference between what you have booked now and the lowest price balcony cabin, we would have to know at least how many days your cruise is, and what level of outside you currently have booked. Since you booked with a TA you would have to go through that TA to upgrade - HAL will not talk to you directly.

What is your sailing date, for how long, and what cabin level do you have booked?

Because you are booked on the Zaandam, one of the smaller ships with very few verandah cabins, the cost difference between OV and Verandah is unusually high compared to much larger ships with many more verandah cabins. The chance of a low cost upgrade to a verandah cabin is extremely low. Take a look at the HAL web site and compare the two by doing a fake booking (very easy to do) and you will get the exact current dollar difference.

I just looked at a Zaandam cruise my wife and I are taking in September and the cost difference, for our cruise/tour between Lower Promenade and Verandah is $750 per person. (I compared the highest price OV with the mid range verandah). In any case change in cabins can only be done through your travel agent unless you booked directly with HAL.

You should tell your TA that you are interested in an "upsell" offer and how much you are willing to pay. A good TA will then contact you if a satisfactory offer comes along.

Ocean view and veranda cabins are the same except for the balcony. The actual cabin size is the same. The veranda gives you the balcony and also extra light/views from the full length window/door. The interior size of ocean views and verandas is the same. On R&S class only verandas & up have the little fridges.

We usually book an FF guarantee which gives us at least an unobstructed ocean view. We do like balconies, will book or upsell to one if the price isn't too much more. Otherwise we are very happy with the ocean views.

Since Holland Americas' profit center in in getting people into Veranda or Balcony cabins they dont waver on the price...nor give them away.

Maintaining a high price point gives an aire of exclusivity... and status.

The UP-grade is not so much a special but another way to sell un attractive cabins to those eager to experience .

I actualy have founf the reverse is true...that the lowly inside cabins are not only larger on many ships but better layed out than the Balconys.

Archived