I need help - PLEASE?

goLC

DH and DS (18) are going on their first cruise - with me! - in 2 weeks. I have been on 4 cruises, and I must say I have never really paid attention to what those around me are wearing in the dining room. I have read posts on here, on Carnival's site; I have googled...My two will be okay on formal night - I think - dress shirt and tie and dress pants/shoes....it's the other "casual" dining nights I'm now getting worried about, because I keep reading conflicting information. Will we be allowed in the dining room if, for example, DS has on longish cargo shorts and a polo-type shirt? I know it says jeans are okay, but I'm thinking jeans in July would be miserably hot! I've read long dress shorts are okay; sports shorts are not; and a multitude of diverse responses about the cargo shorts. We don't want to offend anyone, but I want him to be comfortable. I do not want to be asked to leave!

I agree with BobandKelly's reply. My DS (just turned 16) wears collared golf shirts and Dickie shorts to dinner along with his skater shoes (what we used to call fancy tennis-type shoes). Last cruise he even wore new t-shirts with his shorts and he was fine. The DH and I wanted to eat at the specialty steak house and he called ahead of time to ask if he could wear shorts and a golf shirt and was told, "No problem". The DH also wears shorts and golf shirts to dinner. It really all depends on how dressed up you want to be. Even on "dress up" night you don't have to wear a dress shirt and tie. Golf shirts and khaki's or dockers are what you'll see most of. Actually, you'll see everything from tuxedos to golf shirts and nice pants on dress up night and long gowns to Sunday-best dresses and long skirts for women. Most nights in the MDR are pretty casual. I usually wear a simple dress with a shrug (its cold in the MDRs at night) or capri pants with a really cute top/blouse and low heeled sandals. Hope this helps. Whatever you wear, have a really great cruise!:D

I think DS will be fine in the cargo shorts/polo and will be more dressed than some. Hope you all have a fun cruise!

I think your DS will be fine, You have a great cruise.

Cori

I agree with both posts. He will be perfectly fine. No worries, enjoy your cruise!

My husband and I are sailing on the Sapphire Princess in August. We are not fancy dressers. Could we wear jeans in the main dining room on casual evenings? Could we wear "nice sporty" jackets or shirts on casual nights?

Thanks!

Thank you all so much for taking time to ease my mind! It is just a 5 night cruise (to ease them into loving it...lol) - and I felt like the first and last night, the cargo/polo combination would be okay, then one night for dressing up, only left 2 to worry about - and I shall worry no more! I know he wants to be comfortable, but he wouldn't want to stick out as being underdressed, either. I am so excited, especially now that I can stop worrying about this! :) Thank you all again for helping me!

Archived