Why are Disney cruises so costly compared to Nickelodeon?

MadisonMom65

Hi Rolloman :D

The free food offer (just to clarify) - includes all Disney park restaurants and resorts. So we have found some pretty good ones. :D

We really liked Mama Melrose. (Hollywood Studios)

But the best thing we have found is to stick to the breakfasts (seems they can't screw that up) for the character meals.

One we really didn't like that everyone raves about is the Wilderness Lodge (everything is served in a big skillet). We love the resort, didn't love the restaurant.

The one thing I noticed about Disney "quick service" in the parks in that they serve "chicken strips" everywhere. I am so tired of seeing chicken at the end of our Disney trips. ;):D

Are you suggesting that Disney Cruise Line should operate at a loss, and that the loss should be subsidized by other entities within the Disney corporate empire? Seems an odd way to run a business.

I don't yet know if the DCL price premium is worth it to me (I'll find out in about 9 months from now), but I do know this: if they can fill their ships at the prices they charge, they'd be fools to charge less.[/quote]

ITA! DCL is not a charity and with only 3 ships (4th to come very soon!) that alone will force them to charge more....... But those ships do not leave with much vacancy......

I have only cruised with DCL and I am a Disney snob in many ways, so with that being said, we are venturing out on FOTS shortly..... and for the record, the prices are very nearly the same for the Disney Magic and the FOTS for spring break....... but we are ready to make the break and experience other lines........

One thing I love about DCL is that probably about 80% of those on board are there with children. So DD is never at a loss for "friends" on board, and as an only child, that is very important.

One thing I love about DCL is that probably about 80% of those on board are there with children. So DD is never at a loss for "friends" on board, and as an only child, that is very important.

Well, cruising the FOTS on Spring break, your only child will have a lot of friends. Upwards of 1,200 :eek:.

(can you tell I avoid those sailings like the plague ;)) But you have fun! :D

Rolloman - some people like apples and others oranges or bananas.

I'm not sure which cruise line is the best for our family yet. But we have a good itinerary on Carnival and we were able to get a good size scenic ocean view room for 4 people for 7 days for $2300. Other lines we might have to go with an inside room (I don't care, it's DH that craves natural light), DD was interested in NCL Epic though I hear their rooms are a little on the small side.

BTW I love Disney World. Still get goosebumps when Mickey opens Magic Kingdom. And if you do enough research you can even find good counter service places at all the Disney parks. Just not sure about kids programs on Disney Cruises for tweens and teens.

All I am simply trying to say is if you love disney you will love even more their cruiseline. Carnival cruiseline is totally different in my opinion. I am sure you will have a good time on Carnival, most everyone does on their first cruises regardless of whatever line they choose. The food on the Disney cruiseline is outstanding. I do not care for the food in the Magic Kingdom park. Epcot yes, Magic Kingdom no. Concerned about Disney kids clubs? Disney is all about kids so that would be the equivalent to worrying about whether the the Disney parks would be ok for your kids. And lastly as far as your EPIC comment, actually EPIC has some of the largest if not the largest family rooms at sea. They have 3 full bedroom suites. Yes, there are small cabins on EPIC and yes there are small cabins on every ship at sea...so basically again, not an issue. Let me know if you have anymore questions... In the mean time I will be sitting here enjoying my apple :-)

Rolloman - I was saying we'd have to book inside rooms on Epic or Disney to make up for higher cost. I know with an unlimited budget you can book bigger rooms. Family inside room on the Epic is 128 sq ft where our Scenic OV is 230. Carnivals inside rooms are 184 sq ft. In any case, we are going at the end of April and Epic will have left for Barcelona by then. Is Epic only doing Eastern Caribbean itineraries now, I don't see Western routes listed. As far as Disney, I know there are lots of kids and kid stuff, it was older kids I was asking about as mine are 9 and 11 now.

Rolloman - I was saying we'd have to book inside rooms on Epic or Disney to make up for higher cost. I know with an unlimited budget you can book bigger rooms. Family inside room on the Epic is 128 sq ft where our Scenic OV is 230. Carnivals inside rooms are 184 sq ft. In any case, we are going at the end of April and Epic will have left for Barcelona by then. Is Epic only doing Eastern Caribbean itineraries now, I don't see Western routes listed. As far as Disney, I know there are lots of kids and kid stuff, it was older kids I was asking about as mine are 9 and 11 now.

Good catch about the EPIC itineraries. That is odd and kind of a shame as Honduras on their western route was a nice change. Back to the Disney thing, to me the 9 and 11 year olds are the perfect age for the Disney Cruise. For the best value, look in February. The weather is perfect here and to me a great time to get away from the freezing cold if you live up north.

BTW I love Disney World. Still get goosebumps when Mickey opens Magic Kingdom. And if you do enough research you can even find good counter service places at all the Disney parks. .

Exactly. There are some *excellent* counter service restaurants at DW, but you need to figure out where those places are and seek them out.

One example = Sunshine Seasons at Epcot. A lot of the World Showcase international quick-service restaurants have excellent food (Morocco and Germany come to mind as well as the French deli where the pastries are to.die.for and can be had for a snack credit! :eek: Drool...) The tuna sandwich at Columbia Harbor House gets rave reviews and I can vouch that it is very good. The Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom.

On the other hand, at all those parks you can also find less-than-average burgers and chicken strips, just like you can on a cruise ship ... even those that are known for their excellent cuisine.:D

You hate Disneys private island of which you have not been to? I can understand Nassau but the Disney island is in a class of its own. As far as price goes.. if you go in February or the first couple weeks of December the prices are a third of what they are any other time of year.

No need to be snarky, I wasn't referring to their private island, I was referring to their mainstream ports which are pretty generic. The third of the price they normally are is still significantly higher (not knocking just stating the facts) than other lines, I honestly don't know if the experience is worth that much more, but its probably a good thing that you don't head the Disney cruise PR dept. I understand brand loyalty, but you seem a little haughty. I hope to try it in the future just to make the comparison myself.

You said you hated Disneys ports. Without convoluting this with food or PR or whatever, the fact is you have only been on Carnival. The premier port for a Disney cruise out of PC is their private Island, a destination that no other line sails too. Therefore your statement is one that you are not qualified to make. Certainly you know the other ports your beloved Carnival sails to are the same tired caribbean ports Disney and every other cruiseline sails to as well. No one is getting snarky, just calmly stating facts.

You said you hated Disneys ports. Without convoluting this with food or PR or whatever, the fact is you have only been on Carnival. The premier port for a Disney cruise out of PC is their private Island, a destination that no other line sails too. Therefore your statement is one that you are not qualified to make. Certainly you know the other ports your beloved Carnival sails to are the same tired caribbean ports Disney and every other cruiseline sails to as well. No one is getting snarky, just calmly stating facts.

Clearly you have issues, your right I have only cruised on Carnival, however I will also try other lines, I like Carnival, but I am sure I will like the others as well. I don't know why you are turning this into a Carnival thing. As far as private islands go -all the cruise lines have them and I am sure they are all equally as beautiful. Half Moon Cay is stunning. You are snarky and rude and if your the type Disney caters too, God help them! I seriously don't have time to argue with someone who acts like a 2 year old, so you have a great cruise and try to keep your attitude in check.

I am not finding these good DCL deals in February? Prices are still much much higher than other lines. :confused:

Is $1800 for a 3 day DCL Bahama for a family of 4 cruise a good deal? I understand that's cheaper than the rest of the year when the 3 day cruise is pushing $2000+ but other lines are offering 7 day cruises for about the same price to far better ports.

Oh well...

I am not finding these good DCL deals in February? Prices are still much much higher than other lines. :confused:

Oh well...

Who said anything about comparing Disney prices to OTHER LINES in February? What was said by me is DISNEY CRUISES can be found cheaper in February compared to any other time of the year.

PinkDiamonddolly- You also seem to want to add more to what has been said. I questioned how you can say you do not like Disney ports when you by your own admission have not been on a Disney Cruise. No more no less, just a basic fair question. On the other hand your multiple retorts have consisted of name calling and convoluting the subject with myself being a failure if I worked for Disney. I think you better read the terms of service of CC as you are in violation.

Well after our cruise in April/May DD will be in junior high which will limit our travel times. In addition DH changes his teaching terms at the university so that he doesn't teach May-August (was Sept-Dec for 10 years), so we may have to bite the higher prices.

No doubt DCL is on the high end of prices, I guess it's an individual opinion/choice if it's worth it or not.

Hi

Just on a positive note every cruise has the pros and cons. DCL is expensive but so are the new ships on most lines (RCCL and NCL) and as someone pointed out it depends which weeks you go. DCL had some great things (shows, private island), Royal had some great things (food, pools) and I'm sure NCL will too when I cruise on them in the spring. For a great family cruise I think it really comes down to your first priorities and the types and ages of kids you have. We are cruising NCL instead of Disney and Royal because they take 2 year olds in kids club not in a nursery (had a bad nursery experiene on Disney). After my son is 3 we will try Disney again but choose an itinerary that minimizes kids club time and maxes castaway cay time (that place is soooooo awesome). my opinions may not fit you but with all the info on this and other great boards you can usually figure out what will work for your family.

Happy Cruising all!

Archived