You may see wildlife before you get to Alaska!

CanWeGoYet?

Just wanted to mention to people coming to seattle & hoping to see eagles, etc on their cruise - keep your eyes peeled in Seattle too.

I notice freqently when I am driving on I-5 south of downtown, headed towards the airport area, that I see eagles either soaring overhead or sitting on the lamp posts above the freeway. Last year, there was an article in the Times about how 5 bald eagles were spotted downtown by the Smith Tower building. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CEMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.king5.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2FBald-Eagles-at-Seattles-Occidental-Park-87707462.html&rct=j&q=eagles%20in%20seattle%20area&ei=VawTTufuGLDXiALC4qHXDQ&usg=AFQjCNHj_p_VTNNsXXXgO2kXOR5MO75AaA&cad=rja

There's the less exciting events like seeing a raccoon cross the road or opposums. When I first moved to my house in Shoreline, we had a huge owl sitting on our balcony railing, looking at us and blinking.

And when I was walking my dog one night, a young coyote was stalking us. I noticed he was following at a distance, and every time I turned around to look, he froze but was no further away. I finally picked up my terrier and ran home with him in my arms. They get a lot of pets here, anyway keep your eyes open here too & you may see something.

I now have a little chihuahua as well. I won't let him go in the back yard by himself, even though it's fenced he's tiny enough that a hawk or larger bird of prey could carry him off!

Ditto for those leaving from Vancouver and driving up from Seattle. Along I5 you should see a good variety of eagles and hawks. Once you cross the border, the highway is 99 and you will see eagles in the trees that border Boundary Bay.

Viv

There's also a resident pod of Orcas in the Puget Sound, which are seen fairly frequently, though I haven't seen them myself. Plus sea lions, etc.

They usually hang out farther north, around the San Juan Islands, but they've been known to wander down this way.

Archived