Sun Trolly or Broward #40 bus for A1A north/south near Oakwood Plaza

travelpeon

Thinking of going up and down A1A from two very separate origin points, depending on where my hotel booking ends up. Hotel group A would be near the W hotel (A1A) and Hotel group B would be near Oakwood Plaza. The bus and/or trolley seems to run these routes and be more affordable for 2 people than a taxi.

Can someone help me out with public transport options/ideas to see "touristy" stuff? Would rather not have to rent a car especially if we end up staying near a beach front location or come in via the red eye. Will take a cab/shuttle from the airport and to the port.

Does the Sun Trolly or #40 run more frequently for A1A north/south?

Also considering staying near the Oakwood Plaza. Would the route to the beach be #6 to Broward Central Terminal and then Sun Trolly or #11 or #40 bus?

Thanks very much!

Thinking of going up and down A1A from two very separate origin points, depending on where my hotel booking ends up. Hotel group A would be near the W hotel (A1A) and Hotel group B would be near Oakwood Plaza. The bus and/or trolley seems to run these routes and be more affordable for 2 people than a taxi.

From the W there is no need for transport on A1A unless you want to go way out of the area. It is easily walkable to wherever you would probably want to go along the beachfront, and it is a short walk to the water taxi.

Also considering staying near the Oakwood Plaza. Would the route to the beach be #6 to Broward Central Terminal and then Sun Trolly or #11 or #40 bus?

I'm not sure if the suntrolly goes to the terminal but those are the correct buses.

I think (someone local please correct me) that from Oakwood, Dania Beach and Hollywood Beach are much more accesible than Ft Lauderdale Beach, but I'm not sure how direct the public transit is from there as we've always had a car. But a taxi wouldn't cost too much for the 3 mile drive down Stirling and Dania Beach Blvd (especially if you managed to save some bucks staying near Oakwood compared to Ft Lauderdale beachfront.)

Thanks for the replies! Along A1A, I was thinking of Galleria mall or Bahia Mar since we will be in town during the annual boat show. Both seem to be outside easy walking distance if weather doesn't cooperate.

If we do end up near Oakwood plaza, I will do my research on Dania or Hollywood as an alternative .

Can someone help me out with public transport options/ideas to see "touristy" stuff? Would rather not have to rent a car especially if we end up staying near a beach front location or come in via the red eye. Will take a cab/shuttle from the airport and to the port.

Does the Sun Trolly or #40 run more frequently for A1A north/south?

Thanks very much!

If you do end up staying in the Oakwood Plaza area, I would recommend you go to the beach in Dania Beach or Hollywood Beach rather than Ft. Lauderdale Beach. There's no way I would take the #6 bus to the Central Terminal to connect to the #40 or #11 unless you absolutely MUST see Ft. Lauderdale Beach. The beach in Hollywood is really nice with souvenir shops and restaurants along the broadwalk, and the #4 bus will take you to all points along the beach from Dania Beach to Hallandale Beach. Go to www.broward.org/bct for a system-wide map of all the bus routes as well as individual maps and routes for Broward County Transit.

Thanks for the replies! Along A1A, I was thinking of Galleria mall or Bahia Mar since we will be in town during the annual boat show. Both seem to be outside easy walking distance if weather doesn't cooperate.

If we do end up near Oakwood plaza, I will do my research on Dania or Hollywood as an alternative .

Bahia Mar is right by the boat show. I'm not sure if you can even get a taxi there because of road closings, so call the hotel and ask about that. If you're coming for boat show weekend book up ASAP for any hotels near the beach or port.

Thanks for the advice. We have a backup reservation for the Oakwood area. I'd switch if there is a jetsetter.com sale on the Atlantic or perhaps using a starwood award night for the W. They're not entirely full yet, just priced higher than what I'd like to pay.

For fun, I tried the Ritz reservation for one night and no go. Added a few more nights in case it was a minimum stay and lo and behold, availability. And $$$$.

It is OK if we don't go to the boat show and save $200+ that we can use on our cruise :) Will take a deal if we find it. Won't cry if we don't. Either way, I'm not sure I want to rent a car given the traffic that weekend.

Thanks for the advice. We have a backup reservation for the Oakwood area. I'd switch if there is a jetsetter.com sale on the Atlantic or perhaps using a starwood award night for the W. They're not entirely full yet, just priced higher than what I'd like to pay.

For fun, I tried the Ritz reservation for one night and no go. Added a few more nights in case it was a minimum stay and lo and behold, availability. And $$$$.

It is OK if we don't go to the boat show and save $200+ that we can use on our cruise :) Will take a deal if we find it. Won't cry if we don't. Either way, I'm not sure I want to rent a car given the traffic that weekend.

I absolutely love the W.

Archived