How is the new Grand Princess?

Gabrielle R.

All the new areas are beautiful, but I wish they'd spent some of those millions on things like cabins, balconies, and the heating system. Everywhere we went on that ship was very cold. We were way up above the Arctic Circle and expected it to be cold outside but not inside too. The carpet in our stateroom was stained and the balcony was filthy. I think they put new carpet in hallways, but a lot of the seams were really badly done.

Mostly agree with the above although our balcony was kept clean. Carpets in some of the public areas are really poorly laid, seams coming adrift, but most areas are good. We enjoyed our holiday and have to say that apart from one day in the restaurant we did not find it too cold. They re-adjusted the heat the following day. We are cold weather people so maybe that is why it was ok for us.

Have a look at my recent review for The Grand http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=85149

All the new areas are beautiful, but I wish they'd spent some of those millions on things like cabins, balconies, and the heating system. Everywhere we went on that ship was very cold. We were way up above the Arctic Circle and expected it to be cold outside but not inside too. The carpet in our stateroom was stained and the balcony was filthy. I think they put new carpet in hallways, but a lot of the seams were really badly done.

For some reason that ship has always had problems with adjusting their AC. I would have though it would be fixed after the dry dock.

Shoreham- THANK YOU for the link! I DID read yours earlier. So many negatives, so I wanted more information.

I'm wondering about quality of food, service, etc.

We are in MN- so cold is the norm for us... I'm hoping to get some heat at Christmas so we can make it through the winter a bit better.

Any other experiences out there??

Thanks again for the advice and information! I do appreicate my friends here on Cruise Critic!!

Well, how is the new Grand? I am looking at her for Christmas this year. Just wondering pros & Cons. WE sailed her a few years ago, so wondering what the new look is like.

THANKS for any help!!!

Gabrielle

If you're in the mood to read, here is the LIVE I did on the transatlantic; first cruise out of drydock.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1409466

Thanks Pia & Shofer! Thanks for the links! I'm reading as I get time!

So, What was Alfredos Like? Did that replace the pizza up by the pool?

Cost for pizza and items at the international cafe? Or is it the more high end coffees & wine/beer type of thing?

The Sancturary- did it take over the Lotus pool? I loved that pool when I sailed a few years ago.

Can't think of anything else. THANKS!!!

We've been thinking that we'd like to cruise on the 'new' Grand and looked at a South American Buenos Aires - Santiago cruise in January (I think) of 2013. It is waitlisted! Every cabin in every category! It must be pretty popular or there is a charter or other plans for the ship that far out.

I'd like to think that they did such a good job at the dry dock that everyone wants to sail the Grand. Optimism is good right?

So, What was Alfredos Like? Did that replace the pizza up by the pool?

Cost for pizza and items at the international cafe? Or is it the more high end coffees & wine/beer type of thing?

The Sancturary- did it take over the Lotus pool? I loved that pool when I sailed a few years ago.

Can't think of anything else. THANKS!!!

We were also on the first cruise after dry dock and while I also wrote about many negatives in my review those were mostly dry-dock related issues. I thought the work they did made the public areas beautiful. Watch all the videos and then when you're on the ship go and look at those areas. The tile work is amazing. Check out all the different, but coordinating, tiles in the IC. So beautiful.

The drydock accomplished cosmetic changes in the public areas and it's very lovely but it's not a new ship. You'll be disappointed if you expect everything to be new and perfect. Our cabin was fine and everything worked properly. I know other people had issues.

They ripped the blue carpeting off the balconies and it made an ugly mess. I never saw it but even my cabin steward was complaining. (we were in an aft balcony and flooring was fine) Surely they're going to do something about that eventually.

The forward pool is open to everyone, not restricted to Sanctuary.

Alfredos is a sit down restaurant. The pizza is free but beverages cost money. The take-away pizza by the pool is still there.

The food at the IC is free (and is amazing) but the beverages cost. I was there every morning for my latte.

Have a great cruise. I know we certainly loved ours.

THANKS for the answers!

BIG NEWS for me... I just booked the Grand for Christmas! Got a nice price on a balcony! my Platinum standing did help... And here I was going to settle for an inside cabin!

GLAD to hear about the pizza AND the forward pool! Both my DH & I will be happy!

I'll take any more information that anyone thiks is nice to know aobut the new Grand.

Gabrielle

We've been thinking that we'd like to cruise on the 'new' Grand and looked at a South American Buenos Aires - Santiago cruise in January (I think) of 2013. It is waitlisted! Every cabin in every category! It must be pretty popular or there is a charter or other plans for the ship that far out.

I'd like to think that they did such a good job at the dry dock that everyone wants to sail the Grand. Optimism is good right?

The two segments before and after also show as waitlisted, so the entire 49 days from Jan 26 to March 16, 2013, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco, is Sold Out. This far in advance is a bit unusual, but not unknown. That happened when Princess put Egypt back onto the itineraries about 4 or 5 years ago, too. And I know Pam has experience with a couple of other unique itineraries that have sold out quickly very far in advance. This FLL-SFO cruise is different than what the Star does now, so perhaps more people are interested in the South American route without actually having to fly to/from a South American port.

This 49 day cruise is so popular due to the fact that it's a one time itinerary. Starting and ending in the U.S. is always a hit. We booked it months ago, as did all of our friends. Thankfully we had the foresight and we all got what we wanted; i.e. same cabin for all three legs. I'm sure there will be openings, but I'm afraid you will have to wait until final payment time.

Archived