Summit or Serenade of the Sea????

sunnywa

A little history..... We are in our mid 40's, very active, first time cruise for one and has been 10 + years for the other (in the Caribbean, cruised the Mediterranean two years ago), NO ROMANCE - we are leaving our husbands at home, one is a non drinker, love to meet and visit with new people and neither one of us has children......

SO here is the deal..... We have the week locked down (end of January) and location (Southern Caribbean)...... Now we have to decide between the Celebrity Summit and the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Sea. Almost the same itinerary, and basically the same price (looking at the Concierge Level Celebrity and similar RCCL). In the search that I have done here, it basically seems that you are either a Celebrity "person" or a RCCL "person"??? Is that about it, am I just splitting hairs at this point, and either one that we choose is going to be great???? Is the Celebrity going to be quite a bit more "dressy", "serious"???

Thanks so much for the help.... I understand that alot is personal preference, but maybe someone out there has a particular reason WHY they are a Celerbity "Person" or RCCL "Person"..... Thanks again.......

I was on the Serenade a few weeks ago and had a WONDERFUL time. I'm not a big drinker and there was a festive atmosphere but not a "party" atmosphere on board. The southern routes are so port intensive I think that helps keep things under control.

Have you looked at pictures from each ship? That might help you decide between the two.

We will be cruising on the Serenade in 15 days. I look forward to the experience. I have never been on the Summitt. I've heard wonderful things about the Serenade and look forward to returning and posting a loooonnnng review with pictures after our return.

A little history..... We are in our mid 40's, very active, first time cruise for one and has been 10 + years for the other (in the Caribbean, cruised the Mediterranean two years ago), NO ROMANCE - we are leaving our husbands at home, one is a non drinker, love to meet and visit with new people and neither one of us has children......

SO here is the deal..... We have the week locked down (end of January) and location (Southern Caribbean)...... Now we have to decide between the Celebrity Summit and the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Sea. Almost the same itinerary, and basically the same price (looking at the Concierge Level Celebrity and similar RCCL). In the search that I have done here, it basically seems that you are either a Celebrity "person" or a RCCL "person"??? Is that about it, am I just splitting hairs at this point, and either one that we choose is going to be great???? Is the Celebrity going to be quite a bit more "dressy", "serious"???

Thanks so much for the help.... I understand that alot is personal preference, but maybe someone out there has a particular reason WHY they are a Celerbity "Person" or RCCL "Person"..... Thanks again.......

Celebrity is not more dressy but I do know that on board the Summit, they do enforce their dress code.

In your case, since it is the same itinerary, why not go with the less expensive one.

I went on the Serenade of the Seas in December 2009. This ship was lacking in activities but was classy and in very good shape. I think if you are going to relax then Serenade of the Seas is a good ship to take. I haven't been on the Summit - I'm considering it for this coming December. I'm not sure if the Summit offers more activities onboard though (which is what I like).

We've been on both. Summit is elegant, Serenade (our favorite class ship in RC) is more of a family feel. While both are considered family-friendly, Celebrity just has a more refined feel. You can't go wrong with either one - just depends of what "kind of cruise atmosphere" you're looking for. Hope this helps!

Archived