Fold up stroller?

mitsugirly

Just wondering if there is any type of small umbrella stroller that will fold up in order to put in a beach bag. Does anything like this exists?

I know the one that we use every once in awhile just folds up into a long "pole" type. Just wondering if there is another out there that will fold up any more. :confused: (probably wishful thinking right?)

Thanks in advance.

Hmm... Haven't seen one, but I haven't been in the stroller market for a few years. In case there isn't, Combi makes a great umbrella stroller with a carry strap. There are other brands as well, but I like the price point and quality of a Combi.

The Quinny Zapp folds up small into its own travel bag, but it is sort of heavy for an umbrella stroller. (Small enough that I brought it on the plane with me.)

There were some others that folded up super small, but I have to think of what they were.

Oh wow. Not looking to spend over $100 on one. Umbrella strollers new (the kind around here) are only $15. Definitely not worth the "folding up" factor to spend that kind of money.

That stroller does look heavy. It look like it would be like a normal stroller, just compact.

I was just hoping to find one that fold up flat, like most normal umbrellas then make the handles fold down after that (kinda like a lawn mower does lol) :p

No, there's no cheap, lightweight stroller that will fold up like that. You can get a Maclaren Volo new on ebay for $60, which will fold up like an umbrella but which has a carry strap that allows you to sling it over your shoulder, and weighs about 8 lbs. - super light. It's what we typically use for airport travel, very quick and easy to collapse and light enough to deal with stroller, carryons, and toddler all at once.

I understand that you don't want to spend that kind of money on an umbrella stroller, but they really are worth the money, IF it's in your budget. A good quality umbrella stroller has full-sized features including storage basket, cup holders, sun-shade, adjustable handles, quick fold, 5 point harness, quality materials & workmanship, is light weight, won't tip when you hang a bag or two on the handle, and will last for years. You won't find these things in a $15 stroller (the adage "you get what you pay for" couldn't be more true here).

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a $15 stroller, but I really don't think you're going to find one that folds up nicely (while being light weight) that's going to be great for travelling (will you want that large sunshade and storage basket?). You be the judge, and buy what you think will work best for you. :) Good luck!

Yea, not in my budget for something that will "maybe" just be used on the cruise. She normally doesn't EVER want to be pushed in the stroller. We sold her big strollers over a year ago because she refused to ride in them and wants to walk.

I wasn't planning on taking one at all because I figured she wouldn't use one. (She has a habit of riding in one for about 2 minutes, then she wants to get out and push it herself).

We've been taking nightly walks since the weather got nice and I've been trying to get her to get in one. Some times it works (but doesn't last long) and other times it never works.

This is mainly why I was hoping that there was one out there that would fold up and can be put in a bag because I have a feeling that's where it would be 90% of the time, but would like to have one...just in case.

So no, not worth it to me if it cost a lot. :( Oh well I tried and thank you VERY much for your input and help. I just don't think what I'm looking for exist. I'll just have to decide if I'm taking one at all now I guess.

Do they allow the little umbrella strollers on planes? Or do you have to check them?

Have you thought about skipping the stroller altogether since your DD doesn't like them? Maybe you should consider a backpack or other carrier for her?...

We've always brought a stroller and a backpack carrier for our kids when on vacation - both come in handy at different times. All of our kids have loved their backpack carriers - they sit up high and can see the world. :) When they are tired, they just rest their head on Mommy or Daddy's shoulder and snooze - a win-win for everyone. Not all kids like them though, and they aren't cheap (not $15 anyway... think at least $50 for a cheap one and $100'ish and up for a better built/support/materials model). On the bright side, they last a long time, and can be passed on to other kids. Just a thought...

If you go with the umbrella stroller, then check the airline's policies. I know that we gate check our strollers (we use it until we get to the plane, then they stow it for us; we pick it up when we get off the plane - don't have to wait at baggage claim).

Good luck. :)

Have you thought about skipping the stroller altogether since your DD doesn't like them? Maybe you should consider a backpack or other carrier for her?...

We've always brought a stroller and a backpack carrier for our kids when on vacation - both come in handy at different times. All of our kids have loved their backpack carriers - they sit up high and can see the world. :) When they are tired, they just rest their head on Mommy or Daddy's shoulder and snooze - a win-win for everyone. Not all kids like them though, and they aren't cheap (not $15 anyway... think at least $50 for a cheap one and $100'ish and up for a better built/support/materials model). On the bright side, they last a long time, and can be passed on to other kids. Just a thought...

If you go with the umbrella stroller, then check the airline's policies. I know that we gate check our strollers (we use it until we get to the plane, then they stow it for us; we pick it up when we get off the plane - don't have to wait at baggage claim).

Good luck. :)

Yea, still not sure that would be worth it just for this trip. She's probably going to be my last child (I'm 45 and already have 2 grown children and 1 teen) so it wouldn't get any more use after this trip. I'm not even sure if she'd get in one (she thinks she's such a big girl and wants to walk everywhere). She can go strong every day, all day, if you let her. When we take her to the fairgrounds or to the rides or the zoo, she walks the entire time. That girl has so much energy (if only she's share some with me :D).

So if I do take the regular umbrella stroller, you just hand them it as you are boarding the plane and they put it away for you? (Like somewhere other than down where the baggage is?) I've read people talk about their strollers being thrown in with the baggage and come out messed up. With just a light weight umbrella stroller, it would definitely mess up.

Yeah, I figured as much, but I wanted to throw it out there anyway. :)

I don't know what airline you're travelling on, but many (most? all?) allow strollers to be gate checked. Yes, you just hand it over as you board. I believe they put it "under" the plane, but it's not thrown around like checked luggage. You can do a search to find out your airline's policies.

Archived