carry your own luggage

cruisesusie

We would like to carry our luggage onto the ship for our Canada/New England cruise. My understanding is that its ok as long as the luggage fits through the scanner. Does anyone know if this is true or has anyone taken their own luggage.

Thanks,

Susan

I recently took a regulation-size piece of carry-on luggage onboard the Island with nary a whimper. I've learned - the hard way - to carry on whatever I need for the first afternoon and evening.

While it is true you can carry on your own scanner compatible luggage it may not be advisable for safety reasons.

Some ports do not allow luggage on escalators unless one has two hands free. Elevators must be used.

The final step in getting onboard is a ramp which may be quite steep, and which may or may not have "speed bumps" for traction. We have had cases where foot traffic stops while on the ramp and we've had to turn even light carryon bags sideways to prevent them rolling into passengers behind us (the first one being my wife :eek: ). We have also had cases where they limit the amount of weight on the ramp for safety reasons, slowing the entire boarding process.

My advice is to check any bag bigger than airline carryon.

Yes, as said, you can carry on your luggage as long as it fits into the scanner. In many embarkation ports, you will go up an escalator and must be able to handle your luggage and carryon and still have a hand free. Also, as said, the gangway onto the ship can be very steep (it depends on the tides) and managing just carryons can be a challenge. Every now and then, luggage can be delayed but that's unusual. The last time I embarked a Princess cruise, last January in San Pedro, we arrived at the port at 12:20, was in my cabin by 12:40, and my luggage was delivered at 12:55pm. Out of all my cruises, only once have I had a piece of luggage delayed and that was while I was at dinner on the Sapphire in Sydney, Australia. I don't think it's worth struggling with my luggage and taking up space in the elevator on my way to my cabin. I have yet to see anyone carting everything onboard who didn't struggle. They don't, and can't, receive any assistance. You're on your own.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We're going on a Canada/New England cruise out of Red Hook, Brooklyn. This will be our third cruise from that port and you don't need to use an escalator so that won't be a problem. Also, we're each taking a carry-on type bag with wheels which we can manage by using the handle to carry it when going up the stairs so the elevator won't be an issue. I know it will fit through the scanner because we've taken it on airplanes.

Thanks,

Susan

On our April Mex Riv cruise out of San Pedro I was able to pack everything (including my tux :eek:) into a 22" carry-on, lightweight garment bag and a small carry on bag. The garment bag attached to a loop on the carry-on and the small bag slipped over the handle. I had no problem getting up the escalator and up the gangplank. It was so nice to be mostly unpacked before going to lunch. DW checked her 26' bag and it was not delivered until after the Muster drill at 4:00 PM. We have had bags delivered after first seating of dinner so It is nice to get as much on board with you as possible. The scanners at San Pedro are quite large and could handle a 28" bag. On a prior cruise we happen to sit next to who we later found out was the piano player at Crooners. He had a 28" bag with him.

I know that it is to each his/her own, but I will do the same on our RT Coastal out of San Pedro this fall while DW will probably check her bag(s).

On our April Mex Riv cruise out of San Pedro I was able to pack everything (including my tux :eek:) into a 22" carry-on, lightweight garment bag and a small carry on bag. The garment bag attached to a loop on the carry-on and the small bag slipped over the handle. I had no problem getting up the escalator and up the gangplank. It was so nice to be mostly unpacked before going to lunch. DW checked her 26' bag and it was not delivered until after the Muster drill at 4:00 PM. We have had bags delivered after first seating of dinner so It is nice to get as much on board with you as possible. The scanners at San Pedro are quite large and could handle a 28" bag. On a prior cruise we happen to sit next to who we later found out was the piano player at Crooners. He had a 28" bag with him.

I know that it is to each his/her own, but I will do the same on our RT Coastal out of San Pedro this fall while DW will probably check her bag(s).

We have traveled carry-on only for years, be it land or sea. Good planning eliminates all the problems one reads on these threads regarding lost/damaged luggage. Making it through the ship's scanners is a no brainer as one must do the same on the plane. Less luggage==more control, fewer anxieties--and Princess has the self-laundry to make it easy!

msk1

Archived