RCCL cancelled St. John excursion--any ideas?

arlodog

We booked an excursion on RCCL for our Sept Oasis sailing to St John. It was a boat that takes you from where the boat docks to SJ for a bit of snorkeling. Trying to avoid the ferry and hassle! Just got notified that they have canceled this excursion.:( We usually book our own, but thought this would be an easier way to get to St. John to go snorkeling for the first time:rolleyes:. We are only in port from 9-5 and have already been on an island tour on a previous cruise.

Does anyone know if it is easy to pick up excursions at the dock? We thought it may be fun to go over to St. John for the day and avoid the crowds from Oasis. I have looked at a couple of 1/2 day charter sails, but the prices are much higher and most look like they are closed in Sept. We are open to staying on St Thomas if we can snorkel from the beach there.

Any suggestions?

We booked an excursion on RCCL for our Sept Oasis sailing to St John. It was a boat that takes you from where the boat docks to SJ for a bit of snorkeling. Trying to avoid the ferry and hassle! Just got notified that they have canceled this excursion.:( We usually book our own, but thought this would be an easier way to get to St. John to go snorkeling for the first time:rolleyes:. We are only in port from 9-5 and have already been on an island tour on a previous cruise.

Does anyone know if it is easy to pick up excursions at the dock? We thought it may be fun to go over to St. John for the day and avoid the crowds from Oasis. I have looked at a couple of 1/2 day charter sails, but the prices are much higher and most look like they are closed in Sept. We are open to staying on St Thomas if we can snorkel from the beach there.

Any suggestions?

HHHmmm:confused:...still showing available for our Allure sailing at the end of this month. You can always jump a cab over to red Hook and then ferry it over to St John....if you do a search there are lot's of threads on doing St John on your own....however travel is a bit time consuming.

I have read through the threads, but it really sounds like kind of a pain to get a taxi to the ferry, take the ferry, and then taxi in St. John. We were really hoping to get a day sail over...just wondering if I should book ahead or if there is usually something available when you get off the ship.

Haven't sailed to CB before and didn't know what is available when you get off the ship.

We have been to St. Thomas many times. I really do not remember tours advertising trips to St. John at the pier, but you never know. Most of the taxis are hoping for island tours and love to pack in as many as will fit in their vehicle.

We did the excursion to St. John through RCC. It is a shame it was cancelled, as you left on the same pier and although it was a ride, it was worth it. Have you posted in your sailing's Roll Call? Is it possible to get a group together to split the cost of a private tour?. I wish you luck in getting there!

Scan the boards for a day sail and snorkel off the coast of St. John, if you don't make it over by ferry. Why spend the day just "getting there and back", when on a day sail the fun begins right away.

You can take a charter from the pier to Buck Island with some pretty good snorkeling. There are several that run through out the day. But the island doesn't hold a candle to St Johns.

There used to be a ferry from downtown to St Johns direct, but I believe that has stopped for now. That was easier than the Red Hook route.

Archived