Sydney - not sure what to do?

We will be at this port in September and we are hesitant to pre-book a tour. From what I have read the weather could be bad (+foggy) and it would really limit the scenery viewing. Most other ports we enjoy just walking around, stopping for a bite to eat as well as a glass of wine/beer, shop, etc. Also from what I have read, there is nothing like this here. Can anyone that did just walk around share their thoughts/opinions with me? All replies, as always, will very much be appreciated. Thank you!

Here is a good web site to show what is in Sydney, with a map (virtual tour) that shows where the pier is (drag the map to the left till you see the large fiddle).

http://www.downtownsydney.ca/

There are a couple of historic churches and a couple of historic houses to view in the neighborhood across from the pier but not much to the town. I would suggest a half day tour or rent a car to see the countryside. Some people have said they find enough to do to stay in town all day, but the real scenery is in the countryside. The web site will tell you what stores are in town. Also at the pier there is a large building with locals selling their crafts and things like real maple syrup. It's really a nice touch.

This is a good web site to visit tomsportguides.com. Tom, the creator tells of his experience with great pictures to back it up. I also have read there isn't much in town to do/see except a few churches. We are going to be in Sydney in mid Oct. We booked a private tour (5-6 hr) with Don Blackwood, also used by Tom. Have a great cruise!

Here is a recent thread with lots of information. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1432392

I feel it would be a shame to stay in Sydney no matter what the weather. The scenery is still good in the rain and even a bit of fog is not a serious problem. If it is really rainy and foggy, you may prefer Baddeck to Louisbourg. Normally I would make Louisbourg first choice. If you are renting a car you can decide last minute.

Only been to Sydney once and stayed in port, because we did not want to do a 6 hour bus tour.

There is nothing to do in the town. We walked into the downtown area and there was maybe two stores that might hold your interest for a few minutes and then went to a Church craft fair there were having near the port.

I agree either go on a tour or rent a car.

Only been to Sydney once and stayed in port, because we did not want to do a 6 hour bus tour.

There is nothing to do in the town. ...

I agree either go on a tour or rent a car.

---------------------------------------------

Wellgo on December 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM posted the following on this forum:

"Enterprise is a great rental car company....and they are only a few blocks from the pier. I've used them many times in the past (here in Ontario)...they'll pick you up right at the pier."

BUT then

rsquare on December 19th, 2010, 10:38 PM posted the following on this forum:

"Yes, but..... They seem to have a small fleet in Sydney, and were unable to provide a car that we had reserved, nor were they able to get us a car from another company; they told us that some cars that they expected back were not yet returned. ... On the other hand, they were great in Halifax, also picking up and dropping off at the dock, and I believe that they are the only Canadian rental company offering unlimited mileage (kilometrage?). Just have a Plan B in mind in Sydney...."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure it's the exception rather than the rule BUT ....We had the same experience as rsquare last week off the Maasdam in Sydney, with the same explanation. This for a reservation we had made in April and confirmed via phone a few days before the cruise. Also, similarly to rsquare, we had had a fine experience with Enterprise offices in Charlottetown the day before and in Halifax last October. Must be something about that Sydney office, eh?

Archived