Leaving tomorrow!! Should I bring my fleece?

gavavemom

So just about packed. I have to say this trip is by far the most complicated that I've had to pack for. I have my Patagonia raincoat and a fleece vest, with some layers thrown (hoodie jacket, sweater, fleece sweatshirt) in but my real question is should I bring my NorthFace Denail fleece jacket? I am thinking it may be overkill but now I am having some doubts. It is rather bulky in the suitcase. We are on a land tour that starts in Fairbanks and then catch a southbound cruise from Seward. Any advice?

Nix the feece jacket. You have plenty. I would also nix the fleece sweatshirt and buy a souvenir sweatshirt along the way somewhere.

Which Patagonia raincoat do you have? Lined? Long? Should be plenty if it is at least hip length.

I do a Marmot rain jacket and a vest, hat and gloves and call it plenty.

You don't want to sweat as then you will be cold and miserable.

I just read your full post - shame on me for not reading the full post before - i think you will be fine with all of your layers.

I had to buy some gloves there.

there are also some great deals on coats and such - we each bought one for 19.99 as a souvenir not cause we needed it.

but i was typically fine with:

Long sleeved shirt

jeans

and my hooded rain coat

I had scarf and a head band over my ears on the cold days...

So just about packed. I have to say this trip is by far the most complicated that I've had to pack for. I have my Patagonia raincoat and a fleece vest, with some layers thrown (hoodie jacket, sweater, fleece sweatshirt) in but my real question is should I bring my NorthFace Denail fleece jacket? I am thinking it may be overkill but now I am having some doubts. It is rather bulky in the suitcase. We are on a land tour that starts in Fairbanks and then catch a southbound cruise from Seward. Any advice?

Everyone has their favorite clothes for travel. If it was me I would nix the vest and sweater.

I am taking a fleece hoodie, waterproof hooded rain jacket, and silk long underwear as my main cold weather clothes. I will also have some long sleeved shirts, but not planning on a whole lot more for the tops at this point. If I added anything it would likely be another fleece top. I will bring fleece long pants, windpants and waterproof breathable rain pants. Of course, gloves and earmuffs will be in my suitcase too.

I took my down vest and wore it all the time with a rain jacket with a hood in case of rain. Long sleeves with the vest worked out real well and waterproof low rise hikers to keep my feet warm.

Either a sweatshirt or a fleece vest but you don't need both. We also never found a need for long underwear. My 25year old daughter when visiting Hubbard glacier in June, 2005, got hot in her layers when the ship stopped (sun was shining) and stripped down to her tank top. (If I knew how to post a picture on here I would). Would love it if someone would tell me how. I have tried pushing copy and paste and that didn't work. Paste didn't show up in here.

The one thing I used the most on cool days was my Silk Long underwear..the top only, I got too hot with the silk long johns. It was pervfect, light and not much to pack. I got mine from Eddi Bauer..years ago for skiing. It has lasted forever!:)

We did the exact same itinerary last July, only first week in July. I did not bring my fleece but wished I had. It was chilly in some of the ports and on the ship as well. I only had sweatshirts. You should be fine w/ what you are bringing. We did an overnight in Anchorage (it was a Sat. stayover) and there was a flea market right acress the street from our hotel (Hilton) so we walked over there and got nice fleece jackets for cheap. It was drizzly that day so we were very cozy after our purchase.

We did the Portage Glacier tour, booked through the ship, and it was chilly that day also but we had purchased our fleece jackets so very warm!

Enjoy your cruise.

Mary

Archived