Car seat in St Thomas?

alcie

I'm trying to figure out if we need to take a car seat to St. Thomas for our 3 yr old. We'll be on FOS and will be going to the aquarium and Coki beach. We don't have an excursion but instead will just find a taxi in port. I've read some reviews that say don't bother because you won't find a taxi with shoulder harness seat belts. I've read others that say to take a full sized car seat and just wait until you find a taxi with seat belts (but then you have to carry the seat around all day). For those that have been to this port, should we take a car seat or is the aquarium really close to port? I'm also looking at this booster seat but I'm a little nervous about the weight limit - not sure if it's completely accurate Harmony Booster Seat. I did look at the travel vests and am tempted to get one but I'm not completely sure I want to spend $119 for something we'll use one trip.

Coki beach is not close to the port. It is at least a half hour drive along hilly, winding roads. I would not feel safe with a 3 year old in an open-air taxi (no seat belts for any passengers). If I were you, I would wait for a van-type taxi. Be prepared to stand up for yourself. The drivers will try to herd you where they want you to go. Or you can arrange transportation ahead of time with a guide. We use Henry with EEE tours. We have also rented a car twice and used DD's infant bucket seat. You have to be comfortable driving on the left side of the road though.

I have used the seat that you wrote about on my last cruise for DD who was 3 1/2 at the time. It worked well for us. We used it in San Juan several times, Dominica, Barbados, and St. Kitts. A 5-point seat is much safer IMO, but I could not bring myself to take such a big seat for her. You just have to make a decision about safety vs. convenience. I felt good about our choice and would do the same again. Good luck.

Coki beach is not close to the port. It is at least a half hour drive along hilly, winding roads. I would not feel safe with a 3 year old in an open-air taxi (no seat belts for any passengers). If I were you, I would wait for a van-type taxi. Be prepared to stand up for yourself. The drivers will try to herd you where they want you to go. Or you can arrange transportation ahead of time with a guide. We use Henry with EEE tours. We have also rented a car twice and used DD's infant bucket seat. You have to be comfortable driving on the left side of the road though.

I have used the seat that you wrote about on my last cruise for DD who was 3 1/2 at the time. It worked well for us. We used it in San Juan several times, Dominica, Barbados, and St. Kitts. A 5-point seat is much safer IMO, but I could not bring myself to take such a big seat for her. You just have to make a decision about safety vs. convenience. I felt good about our choice and would do the same again. Good luck.

We were at Coki Beach and Coral World in January, the ride is straight up the side of a mountain and is at least 30 minutes long. There were many vehicles with shoulder belts, but if you're concerned, take a car seat (instead of a booster). I am very much against any 3 yo sitting in a booster, but disregarding this bias, if you can only find a vehicle with lap belts you can still install your car seat safely, whereas you cannot use a booster with only a lap belt.

Do not accept a vehicle without a seat belt. Vehicles with seatbelts (and top tethers) exist in St. Thomas, you just need to be firm with your request. Honestly, I had no problems, but I'm pretty firm in my beliefs of how car seats should be used ;)

Archived