Alaska on Diamond Princess

maricruiser

We are going on our 1st Alaskan cruise soon. This is also our first time on Princess. We will be on the Diamond Princess. My questions are:

1. Since we will be in a cooler climate do people dress more "wintery" for the dinning rooms? Or would summer tops with a light-weight sweater be ok?

2. What is the temperature on-board the ship?

3. Do we need winter p.j.'s?

4. Is there an "indoor" pool on this ship and if so, will it be heated?

I understand layering clothes for excursions and such but just wonder how things will be on board.

We were on the Diamond in Alaska last year.

1. The onboard temperature was consistent with any other ship I have been on. People in the MDR dress as they would at any land based air conditioned restaurant. it seems to be a matter of personal choice and comfort.

2. Cabins are individually climate controlled and you can have heat or air conditioning. The public areas tend to be air conditioned. I dressed for the outside temperature and was neither hot nor cold.

3. No. We didn't but i did keep the room warmer than i would in the caribbean.

4. There is a covered pool mid-ship. i don't know what the water temp was but there is a hot tub and the ambient temperature in the deck space was warm - think indoor pool at a hotel.

Hope this helps.

Princess public areas seem to be on the cool side no matter what the itinerary. On our Alaskan cruise I was comfortable with a long sleeve shirt but DW usually likes to have a light sweater with. As the other poster said, within limits, you can have the room as warm or cold as you wish and wear what you wish to bed. Alaskan temperatures can vary widely. A friend was on a cruise when most of the time it was shorts weather. That is not usually the case but layering will handle most temperatures.

We were on this cruise in June. Bringing layers was the best thing we did. I brought short sleeve shirts and wore a light weight sweater over them when inside. Bring layers if you plan on scenic viewing out side.

The best thing we brought was a light weight jacket that was wind proof, water proof but breathable. I used this a lot. When it was cool, I wore it over a fleece jacket and when it was warmer, wore it alone. It was light weight but heavier than a wind breaker. A lot of people had wind breakers and they weren't much protection.

Temperature could vary significantly between indoor and outdoor, and even between days. We were on the Diamond about two weeks ago. There was a day that we could wear shorts and tank tops on the balcony getting a tan but two days later couple layers including fleece and waterproof jacket and gloves were not warm enough when we were at Glacier Bay and College Fjords.

In general short sleeves or a thin long sleeve would do for indoor public area but it could get cold if you decide to step outside just to take a quick look at the scenery.

I agree with vmom, a "light weight jacket that was wind proof, water proof but breathable" is a must, especially the weather is so unpredictable up there and on the pool (Lido) deck, you will be walking between indoor and outdoor.

Archived